Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The Minor Irritant Thread

The Minor Irritant Thread (Page 2)
subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2019, 07:32 PM

I’m partial to...

“Pixels aren’t perfect square” is the first world problem to end all first world problems.

A problem I’ve had, BTW.

mindwaves
May 4, 2019, 07:46 PM

Hate "Asian dressing" or "Asian salad" that you can find in the supermarket. Shows how little people know about the world, much less Asia.

Asia is a gigantic area encompassing maybe 60% of the population and the largest "land mass" in the word, especially when it also includes Australia (in some accounts). There is no such thing as having a dressing or salad that can encompass such wide breadth of people and cultures and food. Now, it they called it "East Asian salad" or "South East Asian dressing" (as they typically mean) or something, it would be far more acceptable to me, even if still having many of the same issues as mentioned above. But, I think that the average American consumer -- who is very geographically challenged -- would be very confused.

Another reason why it irritates me is that there is typically no such thing as a European salad or African salad, so why have an Asian salad?

andi*pandi
May 4, 2019, 08:08 PM

Vaguely tangy sesame dressing is not as catchy.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 6, 2019, 05:37 PM

So, our toilet seat broke. One of the hinges sheared due to corrosion and being made of cack rather than actual stainless steel.

Oh. Dear. Lord. What have toilet manufacturers done to the once simple, buy new fittings, attach to lid, fix toilet paradigm that saw us all through before.

So many fittings, so few ways to discover what hinges fit what sets/toilet.

It really shouldn't have to be like this. It's a frikkin toilet seat. OK fine have your own designs etc but fit them to a standard. You know, like you used to before marketing people deciding trapping people into eco systems was in any way clever!
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

Ham Sandwich
May 6, 2019, 05:43 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:22 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2019, 06:03 PM

ProTip: once you get the fittings sorted, get the type of seat which gently lowers itself instead of slamming.

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2019, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
ProTip: once you get the fittings sorted, get the type of seat which gently lowers itself instead of slamming.
I concur. Flip down the lid, it eases itself down while you’re walking to the sink to wash up. Much preferable to “lower the thing gently so it won’t slam down and break” type seats.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2019, 03:08 PM

The only downside is once you become part of the toilet seat master race, you’ll start accidentally slamming peasant toilets.

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2019, 06:28 PM

That's true. There's one restroom at work that has a regular toilet - no auto flush robot - and when I use that one, I have to pay attention. The (nearly always inappropriately timed) auto flush gets my attention enough that I don't slam. Not very often, anyway.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2019, 07:07 PM

Seriously, Pandora? Twice in a row?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2019, 07:12 PM

[removed by request]
( Last edited by subego; May 8, 2019 at 02:44 PM. )

buenavides1
Banned
May 7, 2019, 11:12 PM

I have already booked our roundtrip airfare and hotel accommodation, now they want me to do an itinerary.
Seriously, as far as I remember there are five heads in this trip yet it's just me who does the work.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 8, 2019, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by buenavides1 View Post
I have already booked our roundtrip airfare and hotel accommodation, now they want me to do an itinerary.
Seriously, as far as I remember there are five heads in this trip yet it's just me who does the work.
And 3...2...1...
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

mindwaves
May 9, 2019, 05:52 AM

Got way too many emojis these days and more and more come every month. Need a way to hide the vast majority of them such as the math symbol ones and the flag ones, which I never use.

ghporter
Administrator
May 9, 2019, 07:10 PM

What in the wide, wide world of sports is the logic/algorithm/magic behind a UPS delivery route?

There's a package on its way for my wife. UPS lets you track the truck. It has gone past, around, in front of, and pretty much every combination of near my street all day, sometimes a block away. It still isn't here.

And this is a second day air package. The shipper spent a butt load more to get it here, and it's been past us a dozen times...

andi*pandi
May 9, 2019, 07:56 PM

chances are it's at the back of the truck underneath everyone else's.

ghporter
Administrator
May 9, 2019, 08:46 PM

True. It was delivered a little while after I posted. The driver said he was covering this route "to help a guy out," so the twisty-turny path makes a little more sense. But just a little.

P
May 10, 2019, 04:29 AM

Honest answer on the delivery packages thing - they're optimized to avoid left turns. Left turns take so much longer to make, so they will try to make three rights if there is anything at all to do in that direction.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 10, 2019, 08:23 AM

If you can solve the Travelling salesman problem you'd be very very rich.

ghporter
Administrator
May 10, 2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Honest answer on the delivery packages thing - they're optimized to avoid left turns. Left turns take so much longer to make, so they will try to make three rights if there is anything at all to do in that direction.
I'm aware of this, and that it actually saves a lot of fuel. This guy's route went past us after multiple right turns... I'm pretty sure it's more a matter of the driver not knowing our (pretty convoluted) area streets.

Maybe I should actually feel sorry for the dude. He probably got dizzy going around in circles around my street.
( Last edited by ghporter; May 10, 2019 at 01:30 PM. )

P
May 11, 2019, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
If you can solve the Travelling salesman problem you'd be very very rich.
Solving it isn’t actually very hard, you just try every single combination and compare them. What is hard is solving it in polynomial time (as in, the time to solve it is no more than the number of stops raised to some fixed power). It is, however, a problem that can be parallelized, so it can be solved by some wide vector machine if you want. Which I expect UPS does, with some clever filtering to cut down on things to check.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ghporter
Administrator
May 12, 2019, 03:36 PM

I remember studying “The 7 Bridges of Konigsberg” problem in college. It started out as a bit of a free for all, with several of us simply trying to draw a solution (on paper). Then the professor pointed out that there IS no algorithmic solution, and showed the proof. Nodes and edges are a bear to mess with in your head.

Afterward, we dug into the theory behind the Traveling Salesman Problem, and came up with some interesting and useful partial solutions that compromised between exactness and promptness of solution. Since then, I’ve had less internal issue with “why do I have to go through Atlanta to get there?” Issues. Except for when my sister flew from Orlando to Detroit...via St. Louis. That was just because her airline was Spirit Air, and they don’t have a lot of hubs to choose from.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 12, 2019, 07:05 PM

I thought the traveling salesman problem had something to do with farm girls.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
May 14, 2019, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Solving it isn’t actually very hard
Actually, it's NP-hard.

mindwaves
May 15, 2019, 08:21 PM

People in bicycle shorts or any kind of lycra material when cycling (top or bottom)

People who pass out flyers every morning near my office. I don't want them and will never eat at these restaurants (which are not even near my office which is the crazy part)

OreoCookie
May 16, 2019, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by mindwaves View Post
People in bicycle shorts or any kind of lycra material when cycling (top or bottom)
I'm curious, what is irritating about cycling sports wear?
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

mindwaves
May 17, 2019, 03:45 AM

Pretty sure it requires no explanation...

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 17, 2019, 12:52 PM

All I can come up with is seeing dong, but that,

A) Doesn’t explain the top.
B) Isn’t particularly irritating.

reader50
Administrator
May 18, 2019, 03:33 AM

the macOS Mail window.

Close it as often as you like. After a random interval (minutes to hours) the window re-opens without user intervention. The only way to make the Mail window stay closed is to quit Mail.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 18, 2019, 03:57 PM

I’ve never had this happen, but I assume it’s because I run mail in fullscreen mode.

Ham Sandwich
May 18, 2019, 04:08 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:23 AM. )

Thorzdad
May 19, 2019, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
the macOS Mail window.

Close it as often as you like. After a random interval (minutes to hours) the window re-opens without user intervention. The only way to make the Mail window stay closed is to quit Mail.
I have never ever, ever had this happen in Mail. I've used Mail all day, every day, for decades and the window has always stayed closed in the dock unless I click on it. It's never once spontaneously opened itself. Weird.

reader50
Administrator
May 19, 2019, 01:26 PM

hmm - I hadn't tried minimizing the window to the Dock. I suppose that would work to keep it off screen.

If it's just me, might be something weird in mail prefs file. Worth digging into. I've wondered if it reappears each time a spam is received. My spam volume is high enough to explain that. Reopens are at random intervals, but average perhaps an hour. But when real emails arrive, it does not reopen. Just triggers the usual notification.

mindwaves
May 21, 2019, 08:47 PM

Watching a Youtube video titled "How castles are built" or whatever title and never actually explaining how castles are built.

And first 30 seconds of the video (of practically any video) is the guy saying "How are you guys!! Yeah, I just woke up and not feeling very well...blah, blah, blah" before actually getting even remotely relevant to the topic of the video. Luckily, it is easy to skip ahead in videos.

reader50
Administrator
May 22, 2019, 12:09 AM

About Mail window, nothing suspicious turned up in prefs. And I've paid closer attention to the pattern:

1. First window reappear might be after a random interval. Haven't paid close enough attention to be sure of this interval.

2. After reclosing the Mail window, it will re-open one hour later. Close it again, it'll be back an hour after I close it. Rinse and repeat. Makes for a great minor irritant.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2019, 01:19 PM

Camera cases being black.

Why not pick a color that doesn’t fry in the sun?

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2019, 03:57 PM

When you tell them to rotate your tires, and they don’t.

Thorzdad
May 22, 2019, 04:14 PM

All the foods that come in big, resealable ziplock-type bags. For whatever reason, I get lots of them where, when you pull open the bag, the ziplock things (runners?) tear away from the bag and now it’s not resealable.

Ham Sandwich
May 22, 2019, 04:30 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:23 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2019, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
All the foods that come in big, resealable ziplock-type bags. For whatever reason, I get lots of them where, when you pull open the bag, the ziplock things (runners?) tear away from the bag and now it’s not resealable.
This is a good one!

You can also have the reverse happen, where the top is totally sealed, and the tear never gets into the open pocket.

Along the lines of packaging irritants, it bugs me how thin they make the sides of cereal boxes and 12 oz. bottled water bottles. The bottles especially lack structural integrity.

andi*pandi
May 22, 2019, 04:34 PM

and then you end up using a clip or a twist tie to hold it shut anyway.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
and then you end up using a clip...
Side note.

Clothespins are great for this.

Bonus use: roach clip.

Thorzdad
May 22, 2019, 05:28 PM

I usually just dump whatever it is into a gallon real ziplock bag.

andi*pandi
May 22, 2019, 09:15 PM

That's it, use MORE plastic.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
May 23, 2019, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Side note.

Clothespins are great for this.

Bonus use: roach clip.
I got tired of having like one or two flimsy plastic chip clip things that were always in use or lost and bought a twelve pack of stainless steel clips on Amazon for $12. Of course, those are all in use now and I never have a clip available when I need one...

reader50
Administrator
May 23, 2019, 12:57 PM

Those stainless steel clips look sweet. I'm still trying to use up the wood clothes pins from my parents. When you don't use them outside, those suckers last forever.

Ham Sandwich
May 23, 2019, 01:15 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:24 AM. )

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
Those stainless steel clips look sweet. I'm still trying to use up the wood clothes pins from my parents. When you don't use them outside, those suckers last forever.
Yeah. I still have a huge pile from a bag I bought 20+ years ago

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2019, 02:41 PM

Stupid clothespin tricks: tweezer mode.

subego  (op)
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2019, 03:17 PM

This asshole parked in front of my garage.

Called the cops. Now it’s a race.

Forum Links
Forum Rules