Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook (Firewire) shipment delays

Powerbook (Firewire) shipment delays
agentcocoa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2000, 12:01 AM

Has anyone that has ordered a custom configured firewire poberbook from the apple store after 2/22/00 received theirs/or received a shipment confirmation from apple yet?

Thanks

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2000, 12:09 AM

I ordered mine on February 25, built to order, and called Apple yesterday. They told me that they were backordered and expected to ship some powerbooks at the end of this week and that I might get mine next Wednesday or the Wednesday after. Man that stinks.

Muahdib

Crow
Mar 8, 2000, 11:41 AM

I ordered mine built to order through the education loan thing and that was the 25th of last month. I called yesterday and they said that it was already tagged for delivery and was waiting to be picked up by FedEx. Before, they said that there was a big demand for the powerbooks so it would take a while.

Reid Parkinson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 8, 2000, 04:11 PM

Well "Good luck" is all I can say. I ordered a PB500 with extra memory on February 15 and they are still telling me it is delayed but will ship "as soon as possible."

Groan.

mymacwm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2000, 12:19 PM

LOL, Reid! I'd have to agree. Alas, I don't think many people will be getting their BTO's anytime soon. I did a 500mhz BTO the morning of the 16th, (the morning after the announcement) and they have told me 2 friday's ago, then last friday, then yesterday, and now I'm getting next friday. Ridiculous that we have to wait this long for our computers. Alas, I don't expect it until on or after April 1st.

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2000, 12:32 PM

Unless you must (for a loan, student discount, etc.) never go through the Apple Store. Plenty of retailers, such as MacMall, have new PowerBooks in stock and receive more every week. I'd suggest canceling your Apple Store orders and opting for another reseller.

Adam Silver
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2000, 06:49 PM

At least Apple didn't cancel your order.

Last summer, I ordered a build-to-order G3 from The Apple Store for Education Individuals. I orderer at this time because Apple had significantly reduced prices on G3s and offered 192 MB of RAM for less than what it usually charged for 64 MB.

Before Apple got around to building my G3, Apple decided to stop making BTO G3s. I had to order a G4 with less RAM and a shorter warranty at a higher price.

At least the computer I did get is faster than the one I originally ordered.

Rocke Woelk
Mar 12, 2000, 01:46 AM

Thanks, Misha dear... You gave me an idea. I have very hefty pre-approved credit line through Apple Loan and have been sitting here awaiting my PowerBook through the Apple's Education Store since the 21st of last month with no light at the end of the back order tunnel.

Mac Warehouse does indeed have them in stock, so we set up a conference call with Apple loan and got them to give an authorization code on the my credit line tonight. What you, Misha, and others might not be aware of is the fact that Apple Loan mails you ADD-ON Certificates which are good for ninety days after your loan is approved. These certificates simply require you to spend a minimum of $200.00 and up(to your credit limit available) at any Apple authorized retailer for anything you wish including Non Apple products. One only needs to redeem them with an authorization code provided by Apple's Loan Department when you redeem the certificate(s).

I'll cancel my Apple Store order Monday after confirmation of shipment from Mac Warehouse, and should have my PowerBook by Tuesday morn, having saved close to $100 with cheaper ram and zero taxes. Mmmmmmmmm... it will be like Christmas all over again

You'll have to excuse me now as I really need to wipe up the drool puddled her ;=)

------------------

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 13, 2000, 12:16 AM

You can make the check for the $100 you saved out to Misha.

I'm glad to hear that you'll be getting your PowerBook soon; it's a great piece of equipment.

I wasn't aware of those add-on certificates...

Rocke Woelk
Mar 13, 2000, 01:38 PM

The checks in the mail, Misha dear, and thank you again! Now please tell me your single and available, too.** Smiling** Incidently, your check would have been even larger had my purchase not been offset by my educational discounts.

By the by, it might interest the readers to know the reason I went originally with an order through Apple Store. From my experiences in ordering a Sawtooth G4 some six months ago through a noted Apple reseller, it was noted in a similar thread to this one that G4 Apple store orders were shipping first, particularly, the educational orders. Not so with this go around with Pismo. One simply can't always predict the mysteries of all things Apple.

Take good care and thanks again...

Rock

ekoelbel
Mar 14, 2000, 03:20 PM

Just wondering if any of the earlier posters have had any luck with a BTO from the Apple Store...?

Apple Store's est. ship is now 14 days, up from 5.

Crow
Mar 14, 2000, 03:30 PM

I built a pismo with the student loan thing and I called this week, because they said last week it(the pismo) was waiting for Fedex to pick it up, but yesterday they said that it wasn't even built yet. I called again and complained and the lady said for me to call today and she would try to find out what the deal is... so I guess I may know where the heck my computer is later today... who knows... maybe Steve Jobs

Anyway nothing on a eta for me...

Crow

agentcocoa  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2000, 04:19 PM

thanks all of you for the suggestions. i sucessfully canceled my apple store order and ordered from macmall with their $200 off promotion and it was shipped yesterday. i even got a tracking number!!!!

Aussie Bruce
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 14, 2000, 05:45 PM

Whats the problem...
Plenty of PB500's in Australia.
Got mine last week... Brilliant :-)
Nice weather as well.
phoenixDownunder

dmcnickle
Mar 15, 2000, 11:43 AM

The problem is with the build to order PowerBooks. I ordered one with the 18 Gig HD and there were significant delays. When I called Apple last week and was told of another delay I got frustrated. A woman at Apple said the stock models were in stock and we changed my order to that. She took care of things with Apple Loan and my Powerbook shipped out that day. I got it 2 days later. It was with a 12 Gig HD instead of the 18 I wanted but that is okay I just got a 6 Gig Firewire drive.

Crow
Mar 15, 2000, 12:35 PM

how much ram did you get???

Crow

reisenbe
Mar 15, 2000, 12:39 PM

I too followed the same track - I ordered a 500MHz, 256mB, 18g unit from our University bookstore the day after introduction. I too got the repeated end of next week delivery responses from Apple. They finally told me that there was a 500MHz chip shortage. At the same time I sifted through some mail and called Mac Connection. They had the 12g units with 256mB RAM for a few dollars less than my "educators discount." Needless to say, I cancelled my order with Apple and received my Powerbook from Mac Connection the next day. By the way, Mac Connection had just under 300 of these in stock last week.

ekoelbel
Mar 15, 2000, 03:39 PM

Isn't an 18 gig model a stock model ("fastest")?

Has anyone had any luck getting an 18 gig model from the Apple Store? Resellers are awash in 12 gig models here in Manhattan, but no one carries an 18 gig model.

dmcnickle
Mar 15, 2000, 04:19 PM

When I changed my order with Apple to a G3/500 12 Gig, I was told that the 18 Gig Hard Drive was the problem. You can only get that version through the Apple Store. I decided it really wasn't worth the not knowing when it would ship and getting different stories every time.

Crow
Mar 15, 2000, 05:57 PM

I ordered a 500mhz, 18 gig, 512mb and I was told that they could give me no eta time at all.

Crow

BobbyP
Mar 15, 2000, 06:05 PM

I must have gotten lucky...I got my 500 18gb in two weeks.....from the Apple store....

ekoelbel
Mar 15, 2000, 06:19 PM

Bobby P - when did you place the order?

ekoelbel
Mar 16, 2000, 10:20 AM

Update:

I just got a shipment notification on a PB 500, 18 gig, 128mb machine.

It looks like the 18 gig machines are shipping from the Apple Store now...

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2000, 11:23 AM

Update:

My BTO Pismo 400 shipped today. WhooHoo!!! I hope it comes in by this Saturday. I guess they finally caught up. I was this close to calling Apple and changing my order to the base model. Glad I didn't.

Crow
Mar 16, 2000, 11:26 AM

when did y'all order your powerbooks???

Crow

ekoelbel
Mar 16, 2000, 12:10 PM

Crow,

my order on 3/7 was
PB 500 128 mb 18 gig: the "fastest" stock model, with an airport, but without the extra
ac adapter. (so I'm guessing it counts as BTO, after all)

it shipped 8 days later. maybe this means they're getting through their backlog?

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2000, 12:18 PM

Ok, since this is the second time this has happened in a month let me set the record straight in this forum... Yes, I'm single (not looking for anyone, though), but contrary to what my name might imply I'm a guy. Misha is Russian for Michael, although I'm not Russian. My parents just thought they'd torture me a little by giving me that name.

I've gotta get a pen name...

Crow
Mar 16, 2000, 01:45 PM

ekoelbel - Just out of curiosity do you know if it was shipped from Taiwan or from here in the states... They told me mine is being built in Taiwan, and that was part of the hold-up...

Crow

[This message has been edited by Crow (edited 03-16-2000).]

ekoelbel
Mar 16, 2000, 01:50 PM

Crow,

I can't be sure, but the first FedEx scan of the package occurred in California, making me think it was built there (does apple manufacture in CA?).

I got an Apple machine once that was built in Taiwan; I believe was scanned by Fedex in Taipai and then Anchorage. Since this one wasn't, I'm assuming it wasn't built there....

Crow
Mar 16, 2000, 02:01 PM

ekoelbel,
--(does apple manufacture in CA?).
I don't know, but the lady I talked to at Apple talked about building them in CA.

--Since this one wasn't, I'm assuming it wasn't built there....

Thanks for the help. I ordered a 500mhz/512mb/18 gig, on the 25th. I guess I'll just have to be patient.
As a customer, this kinda sucks, but as a share holder this is really cool, as far as the incredible demand, and all. Oh well....

Thanks again

Crow

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2000, 03:52 PM

Crow,

I ordered mine Feb. 25 so it's been 21 days. My Fedex pickup says it was shipped from Taiwan.

Rocke Woelk
Mar 16, 2000, 05:08 PM

Sorry, Misha, my honest mistake...

Rock

------------------

Crow
Mar 17, 2000, 10:30 AM

Hey all,

I just got notification that my pismo 500mhz/512mb ram/18 gig was shipped today. So, I guess that Apple caught up with their shipping. Good news for those that haven't receved theirs just yet... There is a light at the end of the tunnel...

Crow

Muahdib
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 21, 2000, 03:06 PM

I got it! My BTO Pismo 400 came in this morning. I got it about 10 minutes before I left for work. I am going crazy waiting to go home to play with it Is anyone else still experiencing delays on their orders.

fithian
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 25, 2000, 11:33 AM

My PBFW ordered Feb 16 received Mar 2.
This was a custom 500 MHz 64 MB 6 GB with no extras and education price $28xx.

Extra memory third party 256 MB dimm. Larger drive (18 GB) when I need it for video editing or external FW drive; undecided so far.

Eph

Active
Mar 25, 2000, 05:23 PM

I just received my 400Mhz Pismo yesterday, with an extra 64MB (�49.95 for 64MB, not bad). I ordered it from Multiple Zones (in the UK), although I think MacWarehouse also have some in stock.

Thoughts? Fairly happy. I wouldn't say I was amazingly happy. I also have a Dell 3500 notebook (about the same size as the Pismo) and prefer the keyboard, for sure.

bizzare
Mar 25, 2000, 06:04 PM

Apple Store told me the shipped my PB 500, 256 RAM, 18GB last wednesday, and they said it'll be here on Monday.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 28, 2000, 11:49 PM

Walked into CDW in Chicago (Vernon Hills) yesterday and picked up a 500mhz/12GB/128...lots in stock. I ordered an additional 128MB from crucial.com for $92. Apple store? Fuggetaboutit! You will certainly find what you're looking for at a local retailer. And do the RAM upgrade yourself. Save hundreds...and it takes all of 2 minutes to install.

Forum Links
Forum Rules