Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 2 Gig Interal SCSI from 7300/180

2 Gig Interal SCSI from 7300/180
Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2000, 12:00 PM

Earlier in the year, I killed the internal 2 gig SCSI drive from the 7300/180, and replaced it with a working 1.2 gig drive from a 7600. the 2 gig was killed pretty badly by that disk-warrior company's software...and only yesterday was I able to format it, by plug it into power during boot, and plug it into the SCSI after everything loaded, then format.

The problem I have is that will low-level format, but cannot zero all data. Initialization will fail every time I try to zero all data...Norton and Disk Warrior didn't find any problems with it, and TechTool Pro crash every time I use it...*sigh*
In theory, the HD should work fine, but anyone have any theories as to why it can't be zeroed? slightly damaged?

Also, if someone is nice enough, can you provide me with the slave jumper configuration for those drives? so I have have the 1.2 gig as the master SCSI and the 2 gig as the slave? As far as I can tell, the master is :::0 Oh, if you will, please use the diagram I posted as a reference (because you can also see it as 0:::, which is something I don't want)
(: being unconnected pins, 0 being where the jumper is)
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

reader50
Administrator
Jul 26, 2000, 02:38 PM

SCSI does not use Master/Slave. Instead, each device uses a unique ID number. In your case, 0-7. Devices must have different ID numbers, and the SCSI controller (on motherboard) takes one of the numbers. Usually the controller takes #7, and the first internal HD takes #0.

You can connect up to 6 more SCSI devices (like extra drives) to that SCSI chain. Nice. Too bad the older SCSI versions are slow by today's standards, and cost so much to buy drives for now.

I can't tell you the jumper settings, different manufacturers can use different arrangements. Check the manufacturer's web site. And SCSI can take more than one jumper to set the ID. Also, you show 4 pin sets while the ID will only require 3 pin sets. The extra set may set internal termination, or do something else. Check the manufacturer's site for the full info.

[This message has been edited by reader50 (edited 07-26-2000).]

tonymac
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2000, 08:33 PM

FYI, as a general rule, SCSI ID jumpers are numbered 0 1 2 or 1 2 4. Look for a label on the drive. If there's not a jumper on any of the pins, then the ID is 0. A jumper on the first pin (usually labeled 0 or 1) gives SCSI ID 1. Second pin is ID 2, third pin is ID 4. To get ID 3, put jumpers on the first and second pins (1+2=3). ID 5 uses jumpers on first and third, ID 6 is second and third, and ID 7 has jumpers on all three pins. The fourth pin in your diagram is probably termination. This should be on for the first device on the chain ONLY, and removed if this drive will be installed as a second hard drive. To use your diagram:
: : : 0
0 1 2 T or
1 2 4 T
First 3 set ID, T is termination. Hope this helps. BTW regarding the inability to zero data, you may want to try testing the drive with Hard Disk Toolkit.

Tony

Evangellydonut  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2000, 12:00 PM

cool, thx for the info. I'll look into it. Once it's fixed, I'll put it inside my G4 and run it as a dedicated (bootable) VPC partition...should be interesting...My guess is, since the 2930U SCSI card have a 20MB/sec limitation and its kind of an old SCSI drive, it'll be a little slower than the ATA/66 I already got...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

Forum Links
Forum Rules