Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Sonnet/Turbomax/Acard

Sonnet/Turbomax/Acard
funkymonkey
Jul 31, 2000, 01:10 AM

wondering if hard drives are bootable off of these add in IDE controllers...never seen this mentioned

Jacob Schultz
Aug 1, 2000, 10:22 AM

I have tried the IDE to SCSI board from http://www.blackfire.com.au/ and i'm booting my old LC 475 from a 20GB IDE-disc. Just remember to make a boot-partition smaller than 2GB when booting fro "old"-macs.

/Jacob

BrandyTheDog
Aug 1, 2000, 10:31 AM

I have a TurboMax card and it boots fine from the MacOS. Installing another OS such as LinuxPPC didn't work for me however. Haven't tried MacOS X DP4 yet however - my guess, no.

Originally posted by funkymonkey:
wondering if hard drives are bootable off of these add in IDE controllers...never seen this mentioned

hal4sn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2000, 11:09 AM

Hope this answers your questions.

[I have a B/W G3, 300mhz, first version motherboard]

I've had a Sonnet Tempo Ultra ATA/66 for about a week. You can boot any drive connected to it - just select from within the Startup Disk control panel.

The computer starts up and displays just an arrow in the upper left for about 20 seconds. (I hope this is normal- I think it is just sorting out ID's and Buses. You'll notice in Drive Setup that the Tempo controller shows the drives as a SCSI devices and assigns them to Bus 1 or 2, and 1 or 2 for ID's.)

I have a 15 gig and a 17 gig, both as masters, each on it's own ATA/66 cable. (I don't have a drive connected to the built in ATA/33.)
I also have a Adaptec 2930. That is connected to a 2gig internal SCSI Drive and a external Zip Drive. They all peacefully co-exist.

The down side of the card is that you have to format the drive when you connect it to the ATA/66 card. Your computer will not see the drive until you do.

As for speed- well of course, since I had to format the drive and I started with a fresh OS and applications install...it seems faster. I don't have any tools to back up if it is truly faster. I guess I will find out when I start working with iMovie.

JHalvorson
\eof

lbgraphix
Aug 1, 2000, 11:33 AM

I recently pulled out my SCSI drive on my B/W Power Mac and replaced it with 2 ultrawide ATA 100's. Right now they are connected to the ATA/33 slot on the mother board and I noticed the drive with the OS system running tends to pause for long periods of time. I ordered an Sonnet ATA/66 control card and I'm hoping that solves the problem since the my drives might be trying to process to much info. through a ATA 33 connection.

Juergen Frank
Aug 2, 2000, 06:31 AM

Originally posted by Jacob Schultz:
I have tried the IDE to SCSI board from http://www.blackfire.com.au/ and i'm booting my old LC 475 from a 20GB IDE-disc. Just remember to make a boot-partition smaller than 2GB when booting fro "old"-macs.

/Jacob
I would like to know how you managed to get the board to work with an old LC 475. I have a Performa 475 and to my knowledge it's the same case - pizza box. At the blackfire.com site I read that the IDE to SCSI board needs a PCI-SCSI-card and does not work with built-in SCSI. How did you get around this limitation?

LBgraphix
Aug 19, 2000, 06:02 PM

I am using an Sonnet ATA utlra 66 PCI card in my blue and white G3. My HD drive is a 45 gig IBM ATA ultra 100. Thought the speed is definitely faster then my old scsi drive, I definitely have some problems such as;
1. Not being able to load large files to my zip disk.
2. Not being being able to load software unless my extensions are turned off.
3. Some of my applications do not launch because the system can't find the original file.

Now I've reinstalled Mac OS 9.04 and reistalled all my apps.

Could the card be causing these problems.

One thing I did notice in the system profiles is that my mac sees the ATA card as a SCSI card not a ATA card. Why is that?

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2000, 05:58 PM

The board the LC475 owner is referring to plugs directly into the IDE hard drive as an IDE-SCSI converter. These are common in replacement drives for older SCSI Powerbooks.

To answer another's question, the IDE card reports itself as a SCSI card because the drivers for that kind of card are built-in for booting. It also allows for use of all regular disk utilities.

drewman

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2000, 06:12 PM

Had an Acard Ultra-66 in a PM 8500... sent it back for a refund... it didn't work on 3 different Maxtor drives. Worked fine for a week or so on each drive, then everything on the drive would start disappearing, then refuse to mount or initialize... guess I have an extra drive for when I get a G4MP...

Forum Links
Forum Rules