Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 7100 as print server

7100 as print server
bosolevu
Feb 22, 2002, 05:30 AM

I have an extra 7100 lying around the house that I want to use as a print server. Is this possible? If so, what do I need to get it running? Thanks!

p.s.- I also have some LCII's and Quadra 610's also. Can any of these be used as a print server? They are all working and hooked up to my home network.

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2002, 06:09 PM

Well, yes, it can be done. But it requires a software investment.

Since it is a PowerMac AppleShare IP 6 or 5 are not out of the question. I preffer 6. I seriously suggest looking around on eBay for a copy of AppleShare 5 or 6, which both have print serving capabilities. I'm not aware of any other way to do printer serving on the Mac.

If I knew more about the RAM and current OS on your 7100, and even the processor speed, it would be helpful in making a good suggestion.

It would also be helpful to know what kind of printer you are trying to share.

[ 02-23-2002: Message edited by: jeromep ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules