Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > CD-ROM on a Performa 6300

CD-ROM on a Performa 6300
redondo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 1999, 06:40 PM

I have a Performa 6300 with a 2X CD-ROM drive. It works OK, but every once in a wile
it will have a hard time reading a software CD. For example: I bought a educational CD-ROM for my 5 years old daughter and I had to try several times so it would read it and mount it. Once mounted if I try to run it
it will just try to read and gets stuck. According to the computer requeriments on the box my computer is overqualified to run it.
I took it back to CompUSA thinking it was defective, and over there I tried it on a imac on display at worked fine with no problems.
Would the problem with my CD-ROM be:
1. A hardware problem where my CD-ROM is dying? I kind of like to know this soon since my extended warranty expires in 3 weeks, or
2. A software problem or Windows/Mac dual
plataform CD's since this CD disk is dual plataform? In the past I hat trouble
reading dual plataform disks, but almost never with Mac only disks.
3. Do I need an updated CD-ROM driver from
Apple's web site? I have the original driver that came when I bought the computer in 1995, I think, unless the driver is updated when the Systed is updated. I have gone from 7.X to 8.6 now.
4. Other problem.

Any help/suggestions?

wlonh
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 1999, 07:13 PM

not to sound smart-alecky, but when was the last time you used a cleaner disk in your CD drive? there's a lens in there that needs cleaning every now and then...

and maybe, give the CD disk in question a gentle cleaning with a lint-free cloth and do not rub it in a circular motion but from edge to edge, matter of fact do not 'rub' it at all but rather glide carefully and gently over the surface of the CD with lint-free cloth which may be dampened with a bit of water...

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 12-06-1999).]

drewman
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 1999, 05:57 AM

The CD-ROM driver is updated when you update your system.

Older CD-ROM drives can have a dirty lens, but also laser power degrades over time as well.

I was going to suggest replacing it with a faster model, but AppleSpec says that you have a 4x CD-ROM which is plenty fast for eductional games.

Get your CD-ROM replaced while under coverage. I would have the whole machine checked out, the backup battery replaced and everything cleaned while you have already paid for that service.

Also, they may not have any 4x CD-ROM drives and could replace it with an 8x or even a 12x drive.

drewman

[This message has been edited by drewman (edited 12-07-1999).]

redondo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 1999, 12:01 PM

Thank you two for the advice. I have never used a CD cleaner on my Computer. So I guess
it may be dirty, but I am going going to take it in for service anyway.

macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 1999, 02:06 PM

Make sure to get the PRAM battery replaced when you take it in!!!!!
;-) MacOpz

redondo  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 1999, 03:26 PM

Is the PRAM battery the one that keeps the clock, settings, etc. If it is, I replaced it a year ago. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules