Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > What To Do With Older Macs?

What To Do With Older Macs?
mkuehn
May 5, 2000, 04:45 PM

Hey all...

I've got a couple older Macs, mostly LCs of some type, just sitting around, and I'm thinking there must be *something* cool I can do with them. How are you putting your older Mac to good use? Our main computers are a 7500/233 and an iMac DV. Can the LCIII provide any services to those computers? I've heard of people using one computer as a dial-up point for other computers to share (I can't think of the technical name for that, however) over Ethernet...is that feasible with these machines?

I think there are a lot of older Macs out there that aren't doing much...let's put them to work!

Later,
Matthew

You can never have too many Macs.

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
May 5, 2000, 05:32 PM

Use them as a DNS server (with MacDNS).
and play the game existence to the end

MacOS761
Senior User
May 6, 2000, 06:44 PM

The answer to this qusetion depends upon how much time you have to spend on it. There are lots of fun things for the techie-folks, but if you just want to find a reason not to sell it (which might work out OK - parts are HOT!), then your best option would be to make it into a typewriter. DNS is a neat idea, but I would think it to slow??? You could also make it into an X10 controller - this is an interface that sends signals through your electical wires and can allow you to turn lights on and off or dim whenever you want, on a schedule or on demand. The coolest is integrating this with voice control, but an LCIII can't handle that. If you want to learn/teach C++ or another semi low-level language, this would be an ideal machine since nobody would care if you crashed it. PLus it's slow enough that you could watch how your program works!! Other simpler ideas would be a game "console" (think MAME) or a picture display (scan your fave photos and make a slide show to scrool through them). Have fun!
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

garrettnelson
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2000, 09:36 AM

I use MacDNS on an SE/30, and it's not too slow.
and play the game existence to the end

dabradda
May 10, 2000, 11:25 PM

i had a quadra 650 lying around with an ethernet card in it, and a color stylewriter pro (yep, it still works!) i didnt want to give up this printer, because the ink tanks are like $7 each. so, i made myself a crossover ethernet cable, and turned on printer sharing on the quadra. so, pretty much, i used it instead of geting a serial adapter for my DV/SE. also, i use it to burn cds, because i just got a scsi burner a month before my imac. im waiting on the firewire/scsi adapter...

dabradda

TheDoctor
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2000, 05:14 PM

You could also use an older Mac as a graphics server for a web site, thus freeing the Web server from the task of serving large graphics files and speeding it up.

Forum Links
Forum Rules