Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Help with Mac OS 8/Qauadra 650 speed up/get screen savers to work

Help with Mac OS 8/Qauadra 650 speed up/get screen savers to work
Straitfan44
Jan 18, 2000, 09:51 PM

Would appreciate any suggestions on speeding up this Mac, have tried to disable some of the OS software not in use, but not sure which others I can safely eliminate if I am just using it to web surf. I am also trying to set up a Style Writer II with the OS 8, need info on where I can obtain the software. Or do I need it? I would like help also with getting screensavers to come up and changing the desk top pictures. Have tried downloading these and they either will not come up or I am just dumb and don't know how to import them to the correct place.
PLEASE HELP ! Will have to make do with this mac until I can get another one. thanks

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 19, 2000, 03:43 PM

Straitfan,

just open the Extensions manager control panel. You will be shown a lot of entries which you can sort by name. First you may want to disable some of the extensions like printer drivers you do not need (LaserWriter, Color StyleWriter Pro, etc.), all help files (if you are familiar enough with the Mac to do without them), Ethernet and EtherTalk (if you do not have such a network), QuickDraw 3D, WorldScript I and II. Then, disable some of the corresponding control panels (if you do not know which control panel corresponds to which extension, leave the control panel alone (they are not that big). You will have to restart your machine for the changes to take effect. Do not disable to many at a time (three or four) and write down which you have disabled before restarting, just in case you have to re-enable something...

Before and after a restart, check the memory usage (Apple Menu, first entry "About this computer") and pay special attention to the "Biggest free block" or so (sorry, my OS is german). It will increase when you have disabled something.

For Web surfing, you *need* most of the Open Transport extensions plus some control panels called PPP-something.

For your StyleWriter II, you can use the Color SW 1500 extension which is included in OS 8. This driver is for a color model, but it works fine with the StyleWriter II.

Good luck,

Walter.

[This message has been edited by Walter J. Ferstl (edited 01-19-2000).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules