Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > How do I network in System 7.1?

How do I network in System 7.1?
Dan Szwarc
Senior User
Jan 19, 2002, 11:56 AM

OK, I've got a working network card in my Performa 550 (30,000 kHz '030 processor baby!) and I can't seem to figure out how to connect to a shared drive on my Powerbook running OSX. Can it be done?

I couldn't find any kind of TCP/IP setup or "Connect to server" command in System 7.1. How do I do it? AppleTalk doesn't detect the Performa in OSX.

I want to back this machine up before I install 7.6.1. How do I do it?
Dan
"I guarantee that I am correct."
(not a guarantee)

VRL
Senior User
Jan 19, 2002, 01:51 PM

OS 7.5.5 is free. Get it and install it. http://www.info.apple.com/support/ol...twarelist.html

I have older web apps running (Fetch).
To see the X computer from the Performa, I use ftp or a web page served by OS X ... way easy and reliable. I've read that you can buy a third party app for older Macs to connect to a computer running X (TCP/IP): http://www2.opendoor.com/ShareWay/gateway.html
Why spend money when you can do a server in X for free
(And maybe Apple will improve file sharing between older Macs and those running X?!)

Set up Users/Groups on the Performa,, and viol�, you can mount shared volumes with OS X (select Appletalk in the Connect To Server window on your X computer). This works fine for me.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: VRL ]
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2002, 02:15 PM

OK, I have 7.6.1, but I might have to delete some stuff to make room for an install. (120MB hard disk is nearly full!).

So what you're saying is it can't be done in 7.1, right?
Dan
(not a guarantee)

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2002, 02:37 PM

If you jsut turn file sharing on in sharing or file sharing or whatever that oens called, and then turn appletalk on and set it to your ethernet card via whichever control panel that is (i forget, i have a P550 on 7.1 once) then you should be able to connect to it with your G4 using connect to > AppelTalk

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2002, 03:23 PM

I had file sharing on, had the drive shared, and had appletalk on, but could not detect the 550 via the Appletalk "connect to server" search.

There was no way to set the IP of the 550. I just upgraded to 7.6.1 and I am about to test it. I'll let you know what happens.
Dan
(not a guarantee)

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 19, 2002, 06:45 PM

7.1 doesn't have TCP/IP unless you add it (via MacTCP). But you should be able to see the shares from OS X 10.1 (10.0 won't cut it). Either that, or log onto the OS X share from 7.1.

Also, remember that on any machine with a Printer port, AppleTalk will default to that port, not ethernet, so you may need to go to the old Network control panel and set it appropriately.

tooki

Dan Szwarc  (op)
Senior User
Jan 19, 2002, 11:31 PM

Yeah, I noticed that lack of TCP support. I just installed 7.6.1 and got it to work. OSX can see the Performa, but I have no idea how to get the Performa to connect to OSX (there's no network browser!).

What app would I use to see shares on the OSX machine?
Dan
(not a guarantee)

VRL
Senior User
Jan 20, 2002, 05:48 AM

Originally posted by VRL:
<STRONG>I have older web apps running (Fetch).
To see the X computer from the Performa, I use ftp or a web page served by OS X ... way easy and reliable. I've read that you can buy a third party app for older Macs to connect to a computer running X (TCP/IP): http://www2.opendoor.com/ShareWay/gateway.html
Why spend money when you can do a server in X for free
[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: VRL ]</STRONG>
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." (Kierkegaard)
"What concerns me is not the way things are, but the way people think things are." (Epictetus)

vasu
Senior User
Jan 20, 2002, 07:13 AM

Originally posted by Dan Szwarc:
<STRONG>Yeah, I noticed that lack of TCP support. I just installed 7.6.1 and got it to work. OSX can see the Performa, but I have no idea how to get the Performa to connect to OSX (there's no network browser!).

What app would I use to see shares on the OSX machine?</STRONG>
Go to the Choose located under the Apple Menu. Go to appleshare I think it is, and then you should see a list. if not you can manually enter in an IP (i think)

gto47
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 21, 2002, 09:20 PM

Yeah, I noticed that lack of TCP support. I just installed 7.6.1 and got it to work. OSX can see the Performa, but I have no idea how to get the Performa to connect to OSX (there's no network browser!).

What app would I use to see shares on the OSX machine?
Did you try the Chooser?

PS: VRL, gotta love apple's excuse for a garbage dump. Finding anything in that mile-high tower o' text has always been quite a challenge.-Some interesting things in there though.
Mac Pro 8x2.8 | Macbook 2.13 | Saab Trionic 7 (thats right, runs on a 68k!)

Walter J. Ferstl
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 24, 2002, 09:03 PM

Originally posted by vasu:
<STRONG>

Go to the Choose located under the Apple Menu. Go to appleshare I think it is, and then you should see a list. if not you can manually enter in an IP (i think)</STRONG>
Entering an IP number in Chooser for connecting to a server was not available in OS 7.6 or 8.1. It was present just from OS 8.6 and up (maybe 8.5 which I did not use).

Regards,

Walter.

nufoto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2002, 09:23 PM

try using a ftp server or a hotline client/server .

jeromep
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 23, 2002, 07:40 PM

Why can't you just use straight up AppleTalk? OS 10 supports it and that would simplify all of your problems.

Also, the newest version of the AppleShare client has the ability to input an IP. You'll want to download this from Apple and apply it to your 550, that will give you the dialogue box to enter an IP address.

AppleShare IP 6 has copies of the newest client available on the install disk so that clients on a network where ASIP exists can connect via IP or Appletalk. This is provided because it is possible with ASIP to not communicate via Appletalk at all.

But I would really look into making sure that your OS 10 box is actively speaking and looking for AppleTalk servers.

Forum Links
Forum Rules