Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > IE 5 under classic twice as fast as X?!

IE 5 under classic twice as fast as X?!
mathew_m
Senior User
Apr 14, 2002, 11:43 PM

I had figured IE would only be faster under 9, but even in Classic mode under 10.1 it's still at least twice as fast as IE for X. Why is this? Why the heck can't Microsoft port a faster version to 10?! I'm really fed up, and want to switch browsers but the options stink. Omniweb, Netscape whatever you say still suck. They are slow, clunky and lack many features that IE has. I don't consider spellcheck a big deal (though it would be nice). What the hell is wrong here, and I can't be the only one dissapointed with this. I have a powerbook g4 400 with ample ram, so this should not be an issue.

<anonymous>
Apr 15, 2002, 10:59 AM

Have you tried taking the www.icab.de/ lately?

robby818
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2002, 09:32 PM

I share your feelings about IE. This is the one area that my new Mac (Quicksilver 733) falls far short of in comparison to my PCs. IE is both slow and flaky. Well, it just plain sucks. I would really like to know what the problem is. Is it IE itself, or is it that web pages are just better viewed on a PC? What especially stinks is that IE is by far the application I use most, next to MS Word which has its own set of issues, and as a result I tend to think of my system as slow on whole, which it really isnt bec when I do other stuff like work w video or photos the system rocks. I'm considering trying icab or mozilla but even though they may load faster they prob have their own set of different issues. I like the IE interface, I just want a major increase in speed.

MikeMarco14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 17, 2002, 02:58 PM

There are indications from the MacBU at Microsoft that they're hard at work on a new version of IE for OS X. Hopefully, it'll address these performance issues. Personally, I was disappointed by IE's performance in OS X too. The original Classic version was mind-blowing, so you can imagine how let-down I was.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2002, 05:35 PM

Hmmm I havn't had such complaints about IE on my system. Granted OS 9 is quicker. But...

I dono I've just found that OS X still out proforms what five used to do on OS 8.6

mathew_m  (op)
Senior User
Apr 19, 2002, 07:54 PM

http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,51926,00.html

Anyone who argues otherwise is full of bologna! Another year to get OS 10 up to speed is frustrating, though I won't give up. Hell, IE crashed on me trying to just cut and paste this post. I **** you not.

I just wanted to add that it would be really cool if someone could hack IE's or another web browser to bypass all aqua code and have just a stream lined interface. You might lose the dock but so what. I would just use classic for surfing the internet, but it so hinders the rest of the system.

[ 04-19-2002: Message edited by: mathew_m ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules