Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Just a thought: PowerBook into an iMac DV

Just a thought: PowerBook into an iMac DV
Peder Rice
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2002, 03:13 PM

Now, I don't know of any reason for this, but let me explain:

I can't stand to see my trusty iMac DV 400MHz go. It's getting outdated, and maybe it's time for an update to a new iMac or maybe even a PowerMac. However, maybe I don't have to get rid of it.

Maybe, I can throw a PowerBook G4 motherboard in and keep my iMac just the way it is. Now, there really is no reason to do this, for the PowerBook has a larger screen, portability, and so on. But I like my iMac too much.

Does anyone think that this could be done? I'd be tempted to try this, but I'm not quite ready to buy a $3,199 laptop if it can't be done.

MacManMikeOSX
Senior User
Jun 30, 2002, 06:31 PM

shot answer yes with heavey moding you cant just through it in

Peder Rice  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2002, 07:59 PM

Well, I ssumed that I'd need to work on it a lot. I was just curious if it was possible. I might just try it.

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Jun 30, 2002, 11:11 PM

that seems like a total waste of time and money to me. You're going to spend the money on a TiBook just put mod it into an old iMac case? why don't you just buy the TiBook and keep the iMac and turn it into some type of server or something? It's to make much more sense.

Peder Rice  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2002, 12:20 AM

I know, but that totally defeats the purpose. In other words, I'm very particular. And while I love the PowerBook, I'd like to hook up regular 7200RPM drives.

Heck, it's a complete waste of time, but I'm bored.

Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2002, 12:38 AM

Well i can see why you would want to do that and why you are so bored ... i mean really, North Dakota!

no offense, i hope none is taken. It seems like an interesting task, but at the same time, sell the iMac 400 on ebay. Right now <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2034503365" target="_blank">this iMac</a> has 23 bids and is up to $510.00, why not sell the iMac and put that money towards upgrades for the powerbook?

just my 2 cents
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

x user
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2002, 05:14 PM

I suggest picking up a 700 CRT imac. You'll be just as happy with it and it'll be much faster. Another easier optioni is overclocking...

Peder Rice  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2002, 10:59 PM

Heh, I might just pick up one of the old 700s. Seems to easy though.

And about the North Dakota comment.... I shouldn't even waste my breathe describing all that North Dakota has to offer, but it seems like the right time for a sales pitch for my state:
- North Dakota's cost of living is 7% less than the national average (this includes housing)
- Our students rank among the top in the nation, with graduation rates in private schools at 100%.
- Fargo citizens don't actually talk like people in the movie Fargo
- Fargo is actually a city now
- We have minor-league sports galore here

Although, we are also:
- 1st in the nation in drinking alcoholic beverages (per capita)
- 2nd in marijuana usage (second only to New Mexico)

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2002, 03:38 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Fargo citizens don't actually talk like people in the movie Fargo</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">That's right, all the people who talk like that live in and around my town: Stillwater, Minnesota. People in small communities near Stillwater (like Marine on St. Croix, 5 miles from me w/ 602 people) do talk like the people in the movie. It's actually really funny, because I don't talk like that and I know a number of people who do.

You may like Fargo and North Dakota, but I personally hate Stillwater. Nothing to do. It's just a place for old people to come to on weekends and go antique shopping. They must get a real thrill out of that or something. We don't even have a f*cking movie theatre!

To get back on topic:
I think that if you're going to spend all that money on a PowerBook to put in an iMac, you should instead put it in a really cool machine, like a compact Mac, and replace the 9" monochrome CRT with a 9" color LCD, or even like a TV tube from a compact TV or something. Wouldn't it be neat to have a Mac Classic sitting on your desk, and people just point and laugh until you boot it up and they see that it's a sweet G4 system running OS X.

Then you have to replace the floppy drive with a super drive. The DVD burning one, not the 1.4MB floppy one.

<small>[ 07-02-2002, 03:43 AM: Message edited by: Luca Rescigno ]</small>

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

Peder Rice  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2002, 02:09 PM

I like the idea of an 800MHz Classic even more... that'd be hilarious to show off. Heck, I might do that. I'm torn between two options. Aaaah!

-------

And off-topic:
Minot, North Dakota has the state fair (which isn't that bad), the Norsk Hostfest (which is HUGE), minor league teams every once in a while (we had basketball, baseball, and hockey last year), and a growing city. Minot's metro area should be around 60,000 in a few years, so things are looking up. We've got a nice mall now (Old Navy just opened up today), a skyline of a few buildings over ten stories (that's pretty impressive for the Dakotas), a few theaters, beautiful parks, and friendly people. Sure, the city will be closing half of the elementary schools, but that's largely because they built too many in the first place.

--------

Back on-topic (sort of):
I might be going for a 700MHz iMac. Just one question: does anyone think that they'll be upgraded anytime soon? I'd hate to dump over $1,000 on one right now.

Ah heck, I'll just wait a month and try one of my options. I might go for the Classic mod.

tr
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2002, 07:09 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Lordx_:
<strong>that seems like a total waste of time and money to me. You're going to spend the money on a TiBook just put mod it into an old iMac case? why don't you just buy the TiBook and keep the iMac and turn it into some type of server or something? It's to make much more sense.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">this is the mac mods forum...people here don't care whether it's a waste of time or money. people do mods just to do them.

now, sort of related, i was wondering if anyone has had any success sticking a combo DVD/CDRW from a late model TiBook (or any other slot load DVD/CDRW) into an iMac?

tr

Peder Rice  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 2, 2002, 07:36 PM

I haven't tried putting a PowerBook drive into an iMac yet (that's part of the fun of experimenting). So, I have no advice.

This was a complete waste of bandwidth and of my time.

Macrat
Forum Regular
Jul 2, 2002, 11:43 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
<strong> I think that if you're going to spend all that money on a PowerBook to put in an iMac, you should instead put it in a really cool machine, like a compact Mac, and replace the 9" monochrome CRT with a 9" color LCD, or even like a TV tube from a compact TV or something. Wouldn't it be neat to have a Mac Classic sitting on your desk, and people just point and laugh until you boot it up and they see that it's a sweet G4 system running OS X.

Then you have to replace the floppy drive with a super drive. The DVD burning one, not the 1.4MB floppy one.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">You mean like this?:
<a href="http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/ccg4/index.html" target="_blank">http://www.applefritter.com/hacks/ccg4/index.html</a>

A cube's internals would seem to be a lot more compatible with internal desktop components than a powerbooks.

<trancer>
Jul 3, 2002, 01:10 PM

Why not try to make the iMac a docking station? If you're bored and up to the challenge, then why not give it a shot? Then, you'd have the best of both worlds!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules