Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > LEMMINGS!

LEMMINGS!
gorefan68
Banned
Mar 20, 2001, 05:57 PM

K, from that car topic, I have to rant. Yeah, I'm ticked. And I feel this venting will do good.

Why is it that you people lack any originality?! I mean... ARGH. If there is a car I hate most in the world, actually, two of them, its the 69 Z28 Camaro (red) and the 65-66 mustang convertable (red).

THIS IS THE MOST BORING CAR IN THE F*CKING WORLD. Why?! EVERYONE HAS ONE! What made me hate these cars? I'd have to say 'car craft' and hotrod, for having a picture of a 69 camaro on every page. Camaros and Mustangs are PCs of the musclecar world. Parts are everywhere, they're cheap, they're plentiful, everyone has them, and way too many people like them. Why? They're uninformed. When you ask most people about the fastest musclecar, they usually believe its a camaro. Not true. Its probably something with a hemi in it, like the many AFX cars, or the acid dipped aluminum fendered 68 Barracudas and Darts that mopar made. But then they say "OH well what about hte ZL1 2000 Z28 Camaro SS SUPER Phat" or something. BAH! How many of those were made?! Like FIVE?! ******** . Those don't count. And....argh argh arGh!

I HATE LEMMINGS.

Things that will piss me off:

1. your favorite dinosaur is a T-rex
2. Your favorite musclecar is a Camaro Z28, Mustang convertable, or the Shelby Mustang 500 (because your stupid ass just saw 'gone in 60 seconds, what a horrible movie, I won't even get into how much more rare and expensive half the cars he stole were in comparison to that stupid mustang...anyway)
3. You believe PCs are awesome
4. You don't know much about cars, yet claim to do so, like 'my uncle had this camaro and he'd put a dollar in the glovebox... ' yeah right. Shut up.

5. Your favorite car is the corvette
6. your favorite car brand is Chevy
7. Your favorite movie is...eh... hrm. "Eyes Wide Shut" or something. That movie was HORRIBLE, yet you say that that was awesome, thinking that other people will view you as more sophisticated or something. ARGH

I'm sorry, I don't hink I can accurately portray whats going through my head at the moment, but I'm basically stressing is WHY LIKE THINGS THAT EVERYONE ELSE LIKES?!?!?! WHY BE THE SAME?! WHY BLEND IN?! WHY CONFORM?! WHY BECOME LIKE 50,000,000 OTHER PEOPLE!

>sigh<

Ca$h <----DIFFERENT, and damn proud of it. I take pride in the fact that most things I like are not the garden variety accepted most popular thing around

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2001, 06:01 PM

why be different? i think i got so fed up with people being the same that i tried so hard to be different. i didnt wanna be so into trends and such. i think for me it just turns out that my trend was trying to be different. and while theres no identical person because i tried to be so different, i was just like everyone else trying to be different.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

mindwaves
Mar 20, 2001, 06:10 PM

I would have to say that none of the things that Cash listed are my favorite things.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2001, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by gorefan68:
I'm sorry, I don't hink I can accurately portray whats going through my head at the moment, but I'm basically stressing is WHY LIKE THINGS THAT EVERYONE ELSE LIKES?!?!?! WHY BE THE SAME?! WHY BLEND IN?! WHY CONFORM?! WHY BECOME LIKE 50,000,000 OTHER PEOPLE!

>sigh<

Ca$h <----DIFFERENT, and damn proud of it. I take pride in the fact that most things I like are not the garden variety accepted most popular thing around
ok cash. your post begs the question, so what makes you so different? i didnt want to be the one to ask, but i have no choice. and with your answer, why do you care so much about being different?

------------------
you're going to have my foot at your lip in a minute, young man.

scott

jholmes
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2001, 06:23 PM

Just because more people find something appealing that you don't personally agree with is no reason to go off.

There's a reason they sold a boatload more Camaros and Mustangs than they did Chargers and that's because more people liked them. Those same folks had the opportunity to buy Chargers and they didn't � deal with it. That doesn't make them lemmings. Personally I'd never want a Charger because I don't need a two door car that is 35 feet long and as wide as a Winnebago.

So be different - fine. Dye your hair the same color as Bozo the Clown and hotrod an $8000 econobox. But don't slam me for digging Corvettes - Show me another machine ANYWHERE that does 150, handles like its on rails, can get 29mpg at 70 mph and sell for under 50 grand. And I like Camaros - never been an easier more affordable car built to hop up. I've owned Dodges, Fords, Pontiacs and Jeeps and I can tell you - the small block Chevy is the best performance motor for the money, ever. And that's why you see tons of them, and why there are more Bow Ties in the winner's circle.

But the Triceratops was by far the coolest dino.
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Satan
Mar 20, 2001, 06:32 PM

Well than ''Cry me a River!''. LOL Sorry thats what I felt when I read your post....

Satan

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2001, 06:38 PM

i think its nice to be different at times. but just because a lot of people like something doesnt mean its just a mob mentality. i wonder sometimes about the stuff i like that no one else likes...maybe no one else likes it just cuz it sucks.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2001, 06:42 PM

Haha, this is amusing. It was my friend machappy who called Ca$h a lemming when he was trying to back up his whole tribal/MTV-is-original position, and now it seems Ca$h has taken a liking to the word.

Go get your tribal tattoo and be unique, and go drive a Neon like a million other people and be unique...

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 06:49 PM

different eh? You probably don't give a #@$& what I think, but I think you're the same narrowminded bigot everyone else thinks you are.

You're not very different.

I live my life one cool toy at a time.

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by Satan:

Well than ''Cry me a River!''. LOL Sorry thats what I felt when I read your post....

Satan
Wow, I agree with Satan. Wait till I tell my parents.

HeatMiser
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2001, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by Misha:
Go get your tribal tattoo and be unique, and go drive a Neon like a million other people and be unique...
Whoa. That just blew my mind.

------------------
The suspense is terrible...I hope it'll last.
I am the harsh nemesis of all that is unclean!

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 20, 2001, 07:10 PM

so is this a thread about being different still or a flame Ca$h thread? i think i wanna be so different ill go start my own message board and post where no one else posts.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Mar 20, 2001, 08:39 PM

There's a reason they sold a boatload more PCs than they did macs and that's because more people liked them. Those same folks had the opportunity to buy Macs and they didn't � deal with it. That doesn't make them lemmings. Personally I'd never want a Mac because I don't need a computer that is 4000 and as doesn't run the newest games.

So be different - fine. Dye your hair the same color as Bozo the Clown and hotrod an G4. But don't slam me for digging PCs - Show me another machine ANYWHERE that does 150fps in Q3, handles like its on rails, can get 17" monitor and sell for under 2 grand. And I like PCs - never been an easier more affordable computer built to hop up. I've owned Macs, Amigas, Commadore 64s and Apples and I can tell you - the PC is the best performance computer for the money, ever. And that's why you see tons of them, and why there are more PCs in the winner's circle.

------------

See, that was a parody. See the hypocritical thinking? I like macs because they are awesome, work better, and I pay for that with a premium price. Same with Mopars. And your reasoning for the SBC. yes, the SBC is the best bang for the buck, but does that make it good? I think that good things are worth their price, which is why I disagree whenever anyone says the SBC is such a great engine. No, its not a great engine. It is a PLENTIFUL engine, a popular engine. There are a lot of honda civics, does that make them the best car? Think not. I think the Ferrari would be much better than the ever plentiful honda civic. Sure, it costs a lot more, but there's probably a reason WHY it costs more.

- Ca$h

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Mar 20, 2001, 08:41 PM

Haha, this is amusing. It was my friend machappy who called Ca$h a lemming when he was trying to back up his whole tribal/MTV-is-original position, and now it seems Ca$h has taken a liking to the word.

Nope, I use lemming all the time. Sorry, didn't steal it from your friend. And thats what I'm saying about the whole tribal thing. I like it because I just freaking like it, not because of what the media says. And argh. BE DIFFERENT! Your freaking computer claims to be, yet it seems that so many of the posters on here ARENT.

- Ca$h

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2001, 09:16 PM

Nope, I use lemming all the time. Sorry, didn't steal it from your friend. And thats what I'm saying about the whole tribal thing. I like it because I just freaking like it, not because of what the media says. And argh. BE DIFFERENT! Your freaking computer claims to be, yet it seems that so many of the posters on here ARENT.

- Ca$h
again i ask, what makes you so different?

------------------

scott

Misha
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2001, 09:21 PM

Or, for that matter (scaught) what makes everyone in here the same? So far the only evidence you have to back it up is that a few people have named a few popular cars as their favorites. Hey, guess what, there's a reason something's popular--usually because a lot of people like it. So what if they aren't car people? So what if they think the coke bottle corvette is a limited edition Coca Cola product? Does that not give them a right to enjoy it?

Honestly, if it's personalities that you want to dwell on, I'd be more concerned about curtailing your egocentricity than bashing those who think alike.

mindwaves
Mar 20, 2001, 09:36 PM

But the Triceratops was by far the coolest dino.
Mine too. I absoutley love the Triceratops. I was once ahuge dinosaur fan and still am (just a bit) and the Triceratops rules!!!!

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2001, 10:37 PM

Or, for that matter (scaught) what makes everyone in here the same? So far the only evidence you have to back it up is that a few people have named a few popular cars as their favorites. Hey, guess what, there's a reason something's popular--usually because a lot of people like it. So what if they aren't car people? So what if they think the coke bottle corvette is a limited edition Coca Cola product? Does that not give them a right to enjoy it?

Honestly, if it's personalities that you want to dwell on, I'd be more concerned about curtailing your egocentricity than bashing those who think alike.
my only interest is in wondering what the heck ca$h thinks is so different about himself or his interests or whatever the heck he's talking about. im not trying to bash anyone. anyone can enjoy anything they want. i havent said anything about what people should or shouldnt like. was this supposed to be directed at me?

------------------

scott

Demonhood
Administrator
Mar 20, 2001, 11:15 PM

Ca$h, re-read your last post. You like something because you like it, not because the "media" tells you to. Well, what's to say that someone likes all the "evil" things you listed just because they like it, not because they are seen as popular?

You seem to be implying that your motivation is pure, but everyone else on this board (and the planet) are media-blinded sheep, prone to like whatever shiny objects are dangled in front of them. Not a fair assessment of people in general, I'd say.

Treky
Mar 20, 2001, 11:23 PM

What are you guys talking about? This isn't just about individuality or being unique. This is also about being smarter and better looking than anyone else in the world. Cash simply wants to be known as the defining superior intelligence in the universe. It's a struggle, but so long as he perseveres in advertising himself as the smartest, most likable, most unique and best looking individual in the universe.. then eventually the entire world will have no choice but to bow down and kiss his sweating feet like they do mine.

And when he is finally crowned a leader of men he will sit on the peak of Olympus and look down at the puny humans with their stupid T-Rexs, Chevrolets and Shelby Mustang 500's and scream to the world... "Hey! I can see my house from here!". And he won't be ridiculed because he will be among his own kind. The Superiors. The Deities. The Gods.

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 12:41 AM

Originally posted by jholmes:
Show me another machine ANYWHERE that does 150, handles like its on rails, can get 29mpg at 70 mph and sell for under 50 grand.
easy one-- Honda S2000...best car for the price anywhere...

And I like Camaros - never been an easier more affordable car built to hop up. I've owned Dodges, Fords, Pontiacs and Jeeps and I can tell you - the small block Chevy is the best performance motor for the money, ever. And that's why you see tons of them, and why there are more Bow Ties in the winner's circle.
ok, the reason yer wrong is cause yer stuck in american cars, which i have to agree w/ ca$h on this point--its pretty obvious that american cars are just like pcs, as its based on quantity, not quality (thats why u see more of em, and also why u see alot of hondas, cause theyre affordable)--sure people can afford em, but hey, u get what u pay for...
now, if u ever spread yer horizons to japanese cars or euro cars, then ud understand...and no, the chevy is not the best performance motor in the world--ther is more to performance than speed--sure, it can go pretty fast, but if it cant turn, i aint driving it...u go japanese, and u got the best of both worlds, quality and great driving (speed AND handling)
ok, i dont understand why people buy american cars, well ok yeah i do--
1.)its the whole macho thing-- "i can go faster than u." well big freakin deal...thers more to driving than raw speed...american cars rely on huge mofo engines...japanese dont...aka quality and better engineering...for the most part... also, on the track (w/ some turns) most american cars will be outperformed by japanese or euro cars just cause some american cars have TOO much power and TOO much torque (yes ther is such a thing). i cant count the amount of american cars that have spun out of control at the track...very amusing to watch...
2.)cheaper...
3.)they think its a good car, and dont understand anything about what theyre driving or the japanese car theyre insulting...simple ignorance (and can be ignored)

ok, so the point of this all is, if u dont cover the WHOLE picture, dont bring it up...ignorance is ok in some cases, but if u insist on actually writing it down, well...i can easily rip it up...

[This message has been edited by SpYn (edited 03-20-2001).]
i wear maroon so your blood doesn't show

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by SpYn:
ok, the reason yer wrong is cause yer stuck in american cars, which i have to agree w/ ca$h on this point--
so.. tell us, what is YOUR favorite 60s japanese car?

deal...thers more to driving than raw speed...american cars rely on huge mofo engines...japanese dont...aka quality and better engineering...for the most part... also, on the track (w/ some turns) most american cars will be
Name me one japanese engine that gives more than 300 horsepower and 300 ft/lb of torque, WITHOUT nitrous or forced induction. If there is one - I'd like to know. Educate me, please - I love learning about cars. I know the new BMW Mseries engines make a ton of horsepower n/a for their size.. but what about japanese engines? The NSX comes close, I think (i could be wrong), but isn't it just a ported 3.2L from the acura RL? And i believe the NSX comes with 4.10 gears stock, just to get it off the line since its a bit weak (comparatively) on torque.. But yeah, theres too much of this hp per liter discussion going on. Keep in mind theres the law of diminishing returns in effect, and getting an n/a engine to produce tons of power, yet keeping it small, is no easy task.

outperformed by japanese or euro cars just cause some american cars have TOO much power and TOO much torque (yes ther is such a thing). i cant count
it just makes it harder to drive and not spin out, but it doesn't necessarily make the car a bad car, in my opinion...

but yep.. i have a lot to learn about cars, and I admit that. This is just what I know, and if I'm wrong, please correct me.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2001, 01:39 AM

I despise people that imitate others. Everyone is unique. If you imitate someone, it creates a redundant person that needs to be removed. (you.)

It also doesn't make me look very highly of you. By imitating others, you have placed others' personalities over your own. How can I NOT look down on if you if you don't?

BUT

Truly liking something, not because someone else likes it, is ok.
Ca$h's liking for tribal is true, because he has reasons that aren't "It was on MTV." He may have used MTV as a defense, but he doesn't like it just because MTV does.

I like Macs. Why? Because they are easier to use. Because there is a great community here that shares my feelings. Because it's easy to fix, etc.

My friends like PCs. Why? Because thats what they were brought up with (I was too.) Because everyone else uses them (Macs are just as compatible.) Because they think windows is easier ( .)

Anyway... yah.

------------------
Bored, Albert is.
Speak like Yoda, he will.

Email address of him, [email protected] is.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 02:01 AM

Originally posted by kertong:
Name me one japanese engine that gives more than 300 horsepower and 300 ft/lb of torque, WITHOUT nitrous or forced induction. If there is one - I'd like to know. Educate me, please - I love learning about cars. I know the new BMW Mseries engines make a ton of horsepower n/a for their size.. but what about japanese engines? The NSX comes close, I think (i could be wrong), but isn't it just a ported 3.2L from the acura RL? And i believe the NSX comes with 4.10 gears stock, just to get it off the line since its a bit weak (comparatively) on torque.. But yeah, theres too much of this hp per liter discussion going on. Keep in mind theres the law of diminishing returns in effect, and getting an n/a engine to produce tons of power, yet keeping it small, is no easy task.

it just makes it harder to drive and not spin out, but it doesn't necessarily make the car a bad car, in my opinion...

but yep.. i have a lot to learn about cars, and I admit that. This is just what I know, and if I'm wrong, please correct me.
ok, good points
lemme start w/ the point that i was referring to more modern japanese cars--ill give u that back in the 60s ther really wasnt much to choose from, hehe ;-)
ok, japanese cars, especially hondas are notorious for ther lack of torque, yes, but i wasnt just talkin about off-the-line numbers, but numbers on the track, where its more handling. no, japanese car companies had a sort of agreement that none of ther cars would exceed 400 hp--honda is basically destroying this agreement w/ the release of the new NSX which is supposed to sport around 400+ hp in i believe 2002 or 2003 (w/ a hefty price as well--$140k). a big increase from its current 290.
now, having alot of torque and power does not make it a bad car, just a very very difficult car to handle while turning--the responsiveness just isnt ther--u have to be a very good driver to handle these--ive seen one driver who could handle a camaro very well (the only 1 ive ever seen...) and he crashed it at a race about 2 months ago--he was shooting around a turn, and lost the back end, crashing into a concrete barrier--seemed obvious the frame was irreparable--mind u, this is one of the better drivers...thats my point--in my opinion the better cars are the ones w/ power AND handling...the corvette Z06 is perhaps the only one ive seen that offers that, but comes at a hefty price (compared to japanese...)
am i missing anything? i probably am, kinda tired..lemme know and ill try to explain...

------------------
why is cheese so
powerful and people
so stupid...?

mindwaves
Mar 21, 2001, 02:05 AM

The honda s2000 or whatever may go 150 but the corvette goes 169 mph. It is in one of motor trend's magazines and it is a stock corvette.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Mar 21, 2001, 02:10 AM

I hafta say my favorite car is 67 Mustange GT 400 NOT convertable or 72 Camero. Yellow with black racing strips or white with blue racing stripes. I think the Z28 looks gay.

Know what I hate? People who think Honda makes a great race car. A Honda Civic is NOT a race car because you slam it, put "Team Honda" amd/or Nike sticker on it, and make it sound like a gokart. Get a life.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 02:26 AM

ok, good points

ok, japanese cars, especially hondas are notorious for ther lack of torque, yes, but i wasnt just talkin about off-the-line numbers, but numbers on the ..
Hey spyn! Glad you replied You seem like a good guy! Whenever I talk cars with the sort of "import vs. domestic" nature, the other guy will often get mad, and start dissing american cars instead of giving out good points of imports.

I like your reply And I love talking cars.

Just wanted to say thanks for replying intelligently! =D

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 02:29 AM

Hey spyn! Glad you replied You seem like a good guy! Whenever I talk cars with the sort of "import vs. domestic" nature, the other guy will often get mad, and start dissing american cars instead of giving out good points of imports.

I like your reply And I love talking cars.

Just wanted to say thanks for replying intelligently! =D
im sick of people who argue illogically. nice to see some people with facts to back up what they say...intelligent or not, if you have facts at least other people can assess your arguments.

------------------
I used to use a PC.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2001, 02:36 AM

Sneering at someone for not being "different" isn't much better than sneering at someone for being different. It's still sneering.

The pressure to be different can be just as great as the pressure to conform. Sometimes it's almost like, "Come on, be different! Everybody's doing it!" I hate peer pressure no matter where it comes from.

I'd rather accept people for who they are. Same, different, whatever.

I have a 1996 Honda Civic. Dark green. Four doors. The midline LX. Tens of thousands of people have the exact same car. But I like the car. It's reliable Point A to Point B transportation, which is what I want. Should I have thought, "Gee, I like this car, but it won't make me stand out in a crowd, so I'd better not buy it"? No.

Material goods aside, I don't set out to imitate others, but I do take what I see as the good in others and aspire to match the standard they set (although I fail all too often). I wouldn't be where I am today, I wouldn't be the person I am today, without the people who I learned from, people who I look up to.

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 03:28 AM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
Sneering at someone for not being "different" isn't much better than sneering at someone for being different. It's still sneering.

The pressure to be different can be just as great as the pressure to conform. Sometimes it's almost like, "Come on, be different! Everybody's doing it!" I hate peer pressure no matter where it comes from.

I'd rather accept people for who they are. Same, different, whatever.

I have a 1996 Honda Civic. Dark green. Four doors. The midline LX. Tens of thousands of people have the exact same car. But I like the car. It's reliable Point A to Point B transportation, which is what I want. Should I have thought, "Gee, I like this car, but it won't make me stand out in a crowd, so I'd better not buy it"? No.

Material goods aside, I don't set out to imitate others, but I do take what I see as the good in others and aspire to match the standard they set (although I fail all too often). I wouldn't be where I am today, I wouldn't be the person I am today, without the people who I learned from, people who I look up to.
well said...

------------------
I used to use a PC.

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Mar 21, 2001, 03:41 AM

K, I think I can better explain myself now. What I DONT like is some uneducated moron, who doesnt know ANYTHING about cars, going to the movies, watching "gone in 60 seconds" then walking away thinking that their favorite musclecar is the mustang. OR someone who watches Jurassic Park and thinks that raptors are big and they are their favorite.

Basically, I just HATE uninformed dumbed down decisions on why you like something. You guys probably feel the same way when some moron who can't use DOS is telling you why Macs are inferior. You know EXACTLY what I mean. I feel the same way about cars. I like cars that are underdogs that end up kicking the mainstream's ass. I like dinosaurs like the Anklasaurus, that can break a T-rex leg in one swipe. I like DIFFERENT. I hate how the majority of the public is just so god damn DUMB about things.

K. Now about the import Vs Domestic debate: Eh. Can't use any of those terms anymore really. 'imports' are built here in the states, and domestics are built in mexico. :| Anyway, I don't like many japanese cars. . American cars are generally boring, have crappy build quality, and they aren't that fast either. European cars are where its at, in my opinion. Horsepower, quality, and handling all in one. Japanese cars, they have build quality, but the performance blows. Honda's VTEC engine line for example. If you look at HP, it seems that its comparable. However, VTEC (which is basically like having 2 different cams, an economy one and a performance one) only kicks in at upwards of 5000rpm. I dunno about you guys, but I >rarely< hit the 5000s. Maybe when I'm racing, but in day to day driving, it sucks. Which is why I despise honda. So many kids these days think of V8s as ancient dinosaurs (not related to above paragraph), and they HONESTLY believe that honda horsepower is faster than american horsepower. ACK! MORONS!

I guess.....hrm... I guess I'm just saying be smart. I hate stupid people, and I hate stupid people who make decisions and favorites based on their stupid littel lives. Learn. Take in lots of facts. Then decide what your favorite is.

jholmes
Mac Elite
Mar 21, 2001, 08:51 AM

You know what I hate? I hate being taken in by some punk who asks people to name what they like and then decides they are mindless sheep when they answer and goes off on me.

Look dipshit, I was up to my elbows in plastigauge, wrist pins and main bearings before you where a member of the lucky sperm club. I liked '69 Camaros when they were new on the showroom floor and everybody else thought the Mustang was the coolest thing around. After I was born, I rode home from the hospital in a Corvette and I've wanted one ever since. I didn't just get to this party because of a movie and even if I had it would have been Gumball Rally or Vanishing Point

My statement about the 69 Camaro and the small block Chevy comes from time spent behind the wheel, under the hood, and laying on my back on winters cold concrete stabbing transmissions in the damn things. I've rebuilt half a dozen of them and they are fast, easy to work on and powerful. Just like my Mac.
They aren't the end all be all - the unibody flexes and you hafta do frame work and the suspensions are too mushy and they need decent brakes but the same is true of any 60's era American car. Don't get into a pissing contest with me on this one. I know what I like and why I like it. And that, I believe, was the original question.

By the way - did you do any of the work on that Charger yourself? Or did it look like a Dukes of Hazard wannabee when your Daddy bought it for you?

`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2001, 09:18 AM

Part of the beauty of being human- I can like something for the hell of it- for no real discernable reason. Another beauty- I don't have to explain myself to anyone.

------------------
Hat, Hat, baby.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by mindwaves:
The honda s2000 or whatever may go 150 but the corvette goes 169 mph. It is in one of motor trend's magazines and it is a stock corvette.
150 aint too shabby from a 2.0 L engine...imagine if they put in a 4.0.......

------------------
why is cheese so
powerful and people
so stupid...?

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 03:35 PM

Anyway, I don't like many japanese cars. . American cars are generally boring, have crappy build quality, and they aren't that fast either. European cars are where its at, in my opinion. Horsepower, quality, and handling all in one. Japanese cars, they have build quality, but the performance blows. Honda's VTEC engine line for example. If you look at HP, it seems that its comparable. However, VTEC (which is basically like having 2 different cams, an economy one and a performance one) only kicks in at upwards of 5000rpm. I dunno about you guys, but I >rarely< hit the 5000s. Maybe when I'm racing, but in day to day driving, it sucks. Which is why I despise honda. So many kids these days think of V8s as ancient dinosaurs (not related to above paragraph), and they HONESTLY believe that honda horsepower is faster than american horsepower. ACK! MORONS!
umm...no
for those of us who actually understand the VTEC engine and have experience driving it at all conditions, well we know the limits as well--namely, it is not an off-the-line car. horsepower is horsepower...the difference is the torque--now its pretty easy to deal w/ that if u know what yer doin--a simple launch will do just fine--i launch at around 6k rpm--for those of u not used to hondas, this seems incredibly high, but not fer honda--hondas are simply motorcycle engines but in cars--since theyre so small, they need to be goin freakin fast (high rpms) to get any power--i regularly get up above 6k rpms, but i understand everything about how my car works, and i know its limits. now, alot of honda drivers dont know much about theyre cars, and u cant insult them for that, as alot of american car drivers dont know much about theyre cars...they exist w/ all types of cars!!! ignorant people are everywhere...
i do agree that euro cars are very good, but frankly, are overpriced fer the states...hell, i beat an SLK that cost twice what i paid fer my lil Teg in a street race...its just not worth it to buy a mercedes here...
btw, when i refer to my experience, its in my 96 Integra GS-R and my dads 2000 model Honda S2000, so i know how to drive these cars...and theyre meant to be driven hard...which is why its so fun, hehe

------------------
why is cheese so
powerful and people
so stupid...?

georgius
Mar 21, 2001, 03:47 PM

Ca$h, did you know that real lemmings jump off cliffs to contol their own population numbers....?

I wonder...

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 21, 2001, 04:02 PM

1. Chevy trucks are the best

2. I like VW and BMW for cars.....neons are everywhere, maybe you forgot to list that dude.

3. Eyes Wide shut was ok.

4. That Shelby from gone is 60 Seconds is a fu*kin cool car, but I like the Jaguar XJ220 better(and/or the hot girl).

What do you have against Corvettes anyways?? Jeez dude calm down. Maybe from where you are they are commonplace but in this little rich town i like in we have BMWs up the wazoo and it is refreshing to see a muscle car no matter what the make or type.

AAAAAaaanyways, just put some Fuel Injection Cleaner and Octane booster in the ol' Jetta, now it boots wicked nice and no more hesitation...just had to get that out.

------------------

shmerek
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2001, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by georgius:
Ca$h, did you know that real lemmings jump off cliffs to contol their own population numbers....?

I wonder...
I read somewhere that the whole lemmings jumping off cliffs was bunk. Those dudes that made those documentaries in the 70s were just herding them up and chasing them off the cliffs.

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Mar 21, 2001, 08:18 PM

By the way - did you do any of the work on that Charger yourself? Or did it look like a Dukes of Hazard wannabee when your Daddy bought it for you?

You wish. No, I do everything myself, and I worked 2 jobs for the whole summer to purchase it. 383s are way better than any small block chevy. The only GOOD thing, and I do mean the ONLY real selling point of the small block chevy is PRICE. You can get parts dirt cheap, and you can get anything for a SBC for dirt cheap. Thats it.

>flips you off<

BTW; hey, if you like camaros, fine, but I think its ironic you like the most boring 'everyone has one' musclecar out there yet still ....ack... if 10000000000 people already have one, why do you want one? I don't get it.

- Ca$h

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Mar 21, 2001, 08:20 PM

150 aint too shabby from a 2.0 L engine...imagine if they put in a 4.0.......

yeah, well, THEY DIDN't. That's a common honda boy excuse. I've raced civics and what not and then they say "oh well I only had a 1.6 or 1.8 liter engine, and see, I have a higher horsepower to weight ratio than you do, so TECHNICALLY I should have won"

Yeah. ok. Except 350hp> 150, no matter how you slice it. Morons

- Ca$h

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Mar 21, 2001, 08:26 PM

umm...no
for those of us who actually understand the VTEC engine and have experience driving it at all conditions, well we know the limits as well--namely, it is not an off-the-line car. horsepower is horsepower...the difference is the torque--now its pretty easy to deal w/ that if u know what yer doin--a simple launch will do just fine--i launch at around 6k rpm--for those of u not used to hondas, this seems incredibly high, but not fer honda--hondas are simply motorcycle engines but in cars--since theyre so small, they need to be goin freakin fast (high rpms) to get any power--i regularly get up above 6k rpms, but i understand everything about how my car works, and i know its limits. now, alot of honda drivers dont know much about theyre cars, and u cant insult them for that, as alot of american car drivers dont know much about theyre cars...they exist w/ all types of cars!!! ignorant people are everywhere...
i do agree that euro cars are very good, but frankly, are overpriced fer the states...hell, i beat an SLK that cost twice what i paid fer my lil Teg in a street race...its just not worth it to buy a mercedes here...
btw, when i refer to my experience, its in my 96 Integra GS-R and my dads 2000 model Honda S2000, so i know how to drive these cars...and theyre meant to be driven hard...which is why its so fun, hehe

Sorry man, it is WAY worse with the whole 'honda tuner' image. These honda idiots ACTUALLY believe a muffler is giving them 25 horsepower, and what not. They're SOOO dumb. Ack. Sorry, you can say what you want, but... outside of your group of friends, you realize HOW many stupid people really do believe that hondas and whatnot (any new import) are actually superior to V8s because of their computers and whatnot. They have all sorts of excuses for not winning in races either. :|

And no, vtec is a horrible system. Toyota's VVTI or whatever is a much better system, as it is a variable cam almost, getting hte maximum amount of power throughout the powerband. Hondas on the other hand, have an extremely weak cam (its actually WEAKER than the non Vtec models) for use under 5000ish rpm, so while your engine is spooling up, the other car will just be going by by. Sure, on a highway, a VTEC might take my car, but up to about 60-70mph, no way. And I have LESS horsepower. The reason I can win (in my lowly base model neon that only has 130 horses) is because while they are spooling up to their awesome 150 horses, they're making DICK for power, and DICK for torque. My little dodge 2.0 on the otherhand, while not being any sort of powerhouse whatsoever, is making respectable amounts of power (for its size). Sorry. VTEC= hype. I've raced tons of cars, and a lot of imports. I've even embarassed an integra GS-R. I'm hoping it was an automatic, otherwise that was truely pathetic.

Bla. VTEC= sucks

- Ca$h <----enjoys accelerating during the whole powerband, not just the top 1000rpms

gorefan68  (op)
Banned
Mar 21, 2001, 08:28 PM

Originally posted by sek929:
1. Chevy trucks are the best

2. I like VW and BMW for cars.....neons are everywhere, maybe you forgot to list that dude.

3. Eyes Wide shut was ok.

4. That Shelby from gone is 60 Seconds is a fu*kin cool car, but I like the Jaguar XJ220 better(and/or the hot girl).

What do you have against Corvettes anyways?? Jeez dude calm down. Maybe from where you are they are commonplace but in this little rich town i like in we have BMWs up the wazoo and it is refreshing to see a muscle car no matter what the make or type.

AAAAAaaanyways, just put some Fuel Injection Cleaner and Octane booster in the ol' Jetta, now it boots wicked nice and no more hesitation...just had to get that out.
Yeah but notice how I didn't mention the neon as my favorite car. :| Anyway, I'd still rather have a new neon than an 80s VW. And yes, musclecars are good, but its so lame to see 50000000000000 Red Camaro Z28s. Blech!!!!

- Ca$h

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 08:39 PM

yeah, well, THEY DIDN't. That's a common honda boy excuse. I've raced civics and what not and then they say "oh well I only had a 1.6 or 1.8 liter engine, and see, I have a higher horsepower to weight ratio than you do, so TECHNICALLY I should have won"

Yeah. ok. Except 350hp> 150, no matter how you slice it. Morons

- Ca$h
what??? u raced a 150 hp civic w/ a 350 hp car, and u wonder why they lose??? are u serious????
theyre only morons if they think they can win a drag race in that situation...dude, lighten up, and give me some real facts to work w/
no more of this 350 against 150 bs...stick w/ the facts...

------------------
why is cheese so
powerful and people
so stupid...?

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 08:57 PM

Sorry man, it is WAY worse with the whole 'honda tuner' image. These honda idiots ACTUALLY believe a muffler is giving them 25 horsepower, and what not. They're SOOO dumb. Ack. Sorry, you can say what you want, but... outside of your group of friends, you realize HOW many stupid people really do believe that hondas and whatnot (any new import) are actually superior to V8s because of their computers and whatnot. They have all sorts of excuses for not winning in races either. :|

And no, vtec is a horrible system. Toyota's VVTI or whatever is a much better system, as it is a variable cam almost, getting hte maximum amount of power throughout the powerband. Hondas on the other hand, have an extremely weak cam (its actually WEAKER than the non Vtec models) for use under 5000ish rpm, so while your engine is spooling up, the other car will just be going by by. Sure, on a highway, a VTEC might take my car, but up to about 60-70mph, no way. And I have LESS horsepower. The reason I can win (in my lowly base model neon that only has 130 horses) is because while they are spooling up to their awesome 150 horses, they're making DICK for power, and DICK for torque. My little dodge 2.0 on the otherhand, while not being any sort of powerhouse whatsoever, is making respectable amounts of power (for its size). Sorry. VTEC= hype. I've raced tons of cars, and a lot of imports. I've even embarassed an integra GS-R. I'm hoping it was an automatic, otherwise that was truely pathetic.

this is amusing...do u know what a LAUNCH is????
for those of us who know what that is, and know how to use it, it works great--apparently u were racing against some pretty pathetic drivers who know nothing about how to drive w/ vtec...
ok, and dont generalize when yer stating "honda idiots" ok???
ther are stupid people who drive every sort of car--the advantage of an american car is that any idiot can drive em, at least on a straightaway.
ok, now pay attention to this point, cause obviously u havent been listnening to anything ive been saying...hondas dont do good in drag racing!!! they are meant for the track (the ones ive been pointing out, S2k, NSX, etc)...on the track they will rip up american counterparts...they are built for handling ON THE TRACK
not some silly street race... *sigh* ignorant people are frustrating to deal w/....
oh btw, 2 more things
1.) the first 15 or so mph in a vtec are weak, thats a given--but after that, when the vtec kiks in (which is really fast to get to) well, its damn good--apparently uv never driven a honda...damn, dont post if yer ignorant about what yer bashing, ok??
2.) thers no such thing as an automatic GS-R...

Ca$h, yer arguments are getting weaker and weaker--yer first post of this topic, i kinda saw what u meant, but these last few are getting just out of hand...no more, ok? oh yeah, i have a GS-R and have only lost one "street" race--which was against my favor from the beginning--it was against a BMW with somthin like 30-40 more horsepower than me...and believe it or not, i was winning off the line...cause I KNOW HOW TO LAUNCH!!! learn what that is before u respond...i lost that race fair and square cause he just had more hp than i did, ill give him that...im a better driver than he was, but well, he had a better car...
im waiting fer more silly replies, but only post if u have a clue what yer messin w/...

------------------
why is cheese so
powerful and people
so stupid...?

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2001, 10:10 PM

if 10000000000 people already have one, why do you want one? I don't get it.

- Ca$h
at least that many people are into tribal and raving, so whats going to be your next excuse?

------------------

scott

shmerek
Professional Poster
Mar 21, 2001, 10:17 PM

Hey Scaught has Ca$h answered your question as to what makes him so different yet?

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 10:32 PM

I've even embarassed an integra GS-R. I'm hoping it was an automatic, otherwise that was truely pathetic.

Bla. VTEC= sucks

- Ca$h <----enjoys accelerating during the whole powerband, not just the top 1000rpms
I think GS-Rs only come in stick??

But yeah, with the vtec sentiment. I actually agree with cash on this one. Many do, I'm sure.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 21, 2001, 10:35 PM

Originally posted by shmerek:
Hey Scaught has Ca$h answered your question as to what makes him so different yet?
nope.
answering queries on the macnn board is so...i just dont know. 1000000000 other people do it all the time, why would he want to?

------------------

scott

kertong
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 21, 2001, 10:38 PM

the advantage of an american car is that any idiot can drive em, at least on a straightaway.
Um, no, they'd sit there doing donuts and ripping apart their tires to shreds.

they are meant for the track (the ones ive been pointing out, S2k, NSX, etc)...on the track they will rip up american counterparts...they are built for handling ON THE TRACK
but you DO know that the lowly camaro SS runs neck in neck with the s2k on a track with drivers of equal skill, right? And there are many american cars that handle much better than an SS (although they tend to get expensive).

if the track was 100% curvy, sure. But most tracks aren't, and the american cars IN GENERAL tear up the imports in the straightaways. If the import outhandles them, and gains some distance, they catch it right back on a straightaway.

SpYn
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 22, 2001, 02:28 AM

Um, no, they'd sit there doing donuts and ripping apart their tires to shreds.

but you DO know that the lowly camaro SS runs neck in neck with the s2k on a track with drivers of equal skill, right? And there are many american cars that handle much better than an SS (although they tend to get expensive).

if the track was 100% curvy, sure. But most tracks aren't, and the american cars IN GENERAL tear up the imports in the straightaways. If the import outhandles them, and gains some distance, they catch it right back on a straightaway.
dude, thats exactly my point...TURNING--yer lil SS cant do it
on a track w/ no turns, yeah any idiot can keep up w/ an S2k while driving an SS on a straightaway...
can u please read my posts before blindly jumping in...?
*sigh*
im too tired to argue right now, maybe tomorrow--i just got bak from almost being arrested (again)...i know i can never go bak to Caldwell, tx again after tonight, hehe ;-)
i dont think i will be, but if u dont hear from me in the next 24 hours, its cause me and a few friends are still stuck at the courthouse over ther, maybe still in a cell...damn, those idiots......
anyway, later

------------------
why is cheese so
powerful and people
so stupid...?

Forum Links
Forum Rules