Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > It's Happening!! Please Help Stop Racial Attacks!!

It's Happening!! Please Help Stop Racial Attacks!!
chingwei
Sep 12, 2001, 09:29 PM

Hi everyone,

It is as I feared...reports are slowly trickling in about racial attacks...

Hiding In Brooklyn - from alternet.org

Afghan-americans and arabs are really afraid. Also, even Sikh friends of mine who wear turbans are being targeted by hateful people thirsty for revenge...reports of Mosques being shot at, I think we might have heard...this is the start of something...BIG...

Put aside all our different views on what we should do and how or whether we should retaliate against the terrorists. I hope that all of those of us who agree that at this point these people who are being targeted for attacks are just as responsible for the terrible tragedy as you and I are...meaning they're not!

I am concerned because no media or leader has spoken up yet about the growing racist sentiment in the country...I urge all of you to spread the word to all you know, and especially to those who might have ties to media channels or political figures, tell them to get on the airwaves/internet and stop this RIGHT NOW before it goes any further...This is a critical time for America...if racial infighting gets any worse, it could be the end for us...I understand President Bush is busy planning for things on a world scale...but we need SOMEone to tell us it's NOT okay to target people based on the color of their skin or what headdress they wear, or how long their facial hair is, or what country they come from or what language they speak. We need someone to unite us as Americans, and not allow us to divide ourselves along the arbitrary lines of race and color...especially now...

Please, blow up the middle east or not, let's take care of matters at home too! Please give this your widest distribution! I believe this is all about to BLOW UP, and the blast may be as big as the ones felt on 9-11...

Sincerely,
Ching-Wei

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2001, 09:56 PM

I hope this stops soon,if it doesn't we are no better than the terrorists.The only politician I've seen speak about the importance of judging people by their actions and not their nationality or their religious beliefs was Sen. John Kerry.I hope someone more prominent does address this issue.If this doesn't stop our friends in the Arab worlds will stop supporting us.Anyone who thinks a religious Sikh would be involved in terrorism is surely an idiot.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2001, 10:03 PM

I was disappointed that George Bush didn't address this topic when he spoke to the nation. It was a perfect opportunity and it's something that needs to be said, and by the president, not by some talking wag on CNN.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Sep 12, 2001, 10:40 PM

While I agree with your sentiments, you are preaching to the choir, so to speak. I doubt you'll find anyone here who ever even considered doing something horrific like this; even Ca$h isn't that far gone.

And frankly, I'm not sure there's anything that can be done now. Yes, Bush should have stressed that we do not know who the enemy is. McCain didn't exactly help with his speech; I shudder to think of what he would have done, had he ended up being elected. At least Bush can stay calm.

However, I do not think the attacks will continue. One or two idiots have done some bad things. No one is known to have died yet, or even to have been physically injured. And in what is normally a bad thing but may be a blessing in this case, the American cultural memory is very short; most people don't even seem to remember the original World Trace Center bombings.

It is so unbelieveably sad, when these things happen. But in a nation that prides itself on imposing no restrictions on the human mind, it does happen. That is the price we must pay for true freedom; some people will think and say things that most find repulsive. And it's not right that they do it, but it would be even worse to silence them for it.

The gunshots are another matter, of course; that is attempted murder. May those who commit such acts be found, arrested, and jailed for such.

[EDIT: How do you do umlauts in UBBCode, anyway?]

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Millennium ]
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Voice of America
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2001, 11:12 PM

The war is not in this country. People in this country that feel threatened need to ban together for protection. They need to contact the police. The police need to assure their safety.

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2001, 04:28 PM

Its been pointed outthat you are presching to the coir, and I surely am too. However it cannot hurt saying it in any forum (online or otherwise).

Racial, religious, and any other form of prejudice is despicable and should be opposed any way possible. Attacks against Americans, no matter their background, is what we are fighting AGAINST here, and there is no room for it from within. I will preach the destructoin of those responsible, but always have and always will stand vigilant on this point. Hopefully our leaders will too.

steve666
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 13, 2001, 10:36 PM

While I agree that people shouldn't be targeted for no reason there have been instances of arabs celebrating in the streets in Brooklyn on Atlantic Ave, Westury, LI, and Patterson, NJ. Arab students were celebrating at Florida State University and unfortunately the police protected the maggots from other students who wanted to kick their asses.

Do these people deserve to be protected? Anyone caught celebrating this terrorist act on US soil should be beaten, then instantly deported if they are not US citizens. If they are US citizens they should be stripped of their citizenship and sent back where they came from.............................................. ..................................

alphamatrix
Senior User
Sep 13, 2001, 11:29 PM

Steve has a good point but people do become rather irrational sometimes, things could easily get out of control and innocent people might get hurt.

The Emperor's Bad Teeth
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 13, 2001, 11:45 PM

Option-U-U works for me, Millenium.

torifile
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2001, 01:44 AM

Hi, Wei. I'm emailing you now. Just so you know, my family and I are ok (so far). There have been threats in Charlotte and men are asking their wives to take off their hijab. My sister-in-law is pretty frightened... Scary stuff. My brother and his wife are staying at my parents house. I'll be visiting tomorrow to see what it's like... Not good. Tell OBP I said hi.

-sammy

Forum Links
Forum Rules