Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Rep. Condit What is he covering up?

Rep. Condit What is he covering up?
Scott_H
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2001, 11:46 PM

Rep. Condit keeps stepping from one steaming pile to another. His "good friend" turns up missing and he tries to distance himself from it. Then he lies to her parents and the cops. Then he avoids the cops. Then he tries to get this lady he "slept" with to sign something that she says, and he knows, is not true.

So what gives in the thing. Where is Chandra Levy and what happened to her. Foul play? Her own doing? On the lamb? What part did Condit play in this? None? Murder? Cover up? Drove her to it?

I think he knows a whole lot more than he's saying. Worst part is this woman is missing.
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,28665,00.html

How long will this guy last before he tells all and then leaves office?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 12:21 AM

Wanna get to the truth? Put him on The O'reilly Factor. He will dig it out of him. I miss that show. Sux, I mean Cox, Cable doesn't carry FoxNews, I am in withdrawals...

foobars
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 12:26 AM

God do I hate O'Reilly. Could someone explain to me the appeal of an angry middle aged (failed newscaster!) yelling his one-sided rhetoric at you for an hour. If I wanted to get preached to I could go to church and probally get the same viewpoints as well.

Scott_H  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2001, 12:28 AM

Huh? I doubt it. I didn't watch today. Missed it at 7 and 10.

Still I wonder how involved this guy is. Did he dump her so she offed herself? Did he know that she was going to do that? Maybe it's all unrelated? Random violence?

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Jul 3, 2001, 01:16 AM

Maybe the wife got her hands in it somewhere... But if she were alive today, she would have been found. It's terrible what happened. Chandra was quite attractive with a promising future.

Demonhood
Administrator
Jul 3, 2001, 02:53 AM

i don't know if this guy is guilty or innocent, but lots of wackos come out of the woodworks when you're in the spotlight (possibly this flight attendent). besides, it's a big jump from lying to murder for hire.

i'm guessing it was probably just an act of random violence (i heard some report of a great number of young women missing in the general area where she lived) and that this whole "affair" thing is likely just a coincidence.

then again, the human mind wants to believe the worst, most salacious story possible.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Demonhood ]

Scott_H  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2001, 03:07 AM

The flight attendant seems credible. Plus she has the paper from Condit. She didn't come out first thing. She says she only came forward after some negative false stuff was spread around about her.

I'm thinking Chandra offed herself. Seems she may have been a little obsessed with Condit. I'm guessing she went to someplace remote and did it.

Poor girl.

I don't give Condit much longer. Maybe 8 weeks.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 3, 2001, 09:40 AM

Given that they haven't found a body, I'd say it's more likely she was killed, than committed suicide. It's too hard to kill yourself and dispose of your own body at the same time. How would you do that?

I'm with Demonhood's theory.

Scott_H  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2001, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by BRussell:
<STRONG>It's too hard to kill yourself and dispose of your own body at the same time. How would you do that?</STRONG>
Jump in the river with something to hold you down. More sinister is that someone may have found her and disposed of body.

Condit's actions makes me think he has a good idea what happened to her. It's too much of a coincidence that he's involved with her, he dumps her, she gets clingy and then from out of no where some she the victim of random violence that leaves her missing without a trace?

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 3, 2001, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by Scott_H:
<STRONG>The flight attendant seems credible.</STRONG>
Did you see how improbably red her hair is? Wow.

<STRONG>I don't give Condit much longer. Maybe 8 weeks.</STRONG>
The dude is screwed. I don't think he had anything to do with Chandra's disappearance but he has handled this situation all wrong. He was too concerned about his political well being and not enough concerned with the well being of one of his interns.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2001, 12:53 PM

I'd say it's fairly obvious that Condit knows more than he's letting on. Just what that means, I don't know.

The big thing, though, is still finding Levy. It's quite possible she's dead, though I would think they would have found a body by now if that were the case. I think it's quite possible that the reason they haven't found a body is that there isn't one. She could very well still be alive, perhaps as someone's prisoner, or perhaps fleeing from something and in hiding. A body just doesn't often go missing for this long before being found, particularly not in a high-profile case like this one.
Given that they haven't found a body, I'd say it's more likely she was killed, than committed suicide. It's too hard to kill yourself and dispose of your own body at the same time. How would you do that?
There are plenty of ways. Most of them, though, are pretty nasty, and not very popular methods for suicide, which is why I don't think this is the case.

I haven't been following this case much, to be honest. So I haven't heard what the flight attendant had to say. But I get the feeling that Levy could still be alive, and she's in hiding, and Condit knows why. Either that, or she's dead, and Condit is somehow involved. But even that doesn't necessarily make him guilty of murder. It's possible that he killed her, or otherwise arranged for her death. It's also possible that someone killed her and left her for Condit as a scare tactic (or perhaps a form of blackmail?) and he doesn't want to talk for fear that whatever he's really covering up will also be exposed.And so on, and so firth. There are just too many possibilities; that's why they call these things mysteries.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 3, 2001, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Millennium:
<STRONG>
... I get the feeling that Levy could still be alive, and she's in hiding...</STRONG>
Her bank account hasn't been touched. She'd need somebody to pay the bills. It doesn't feel to me like she is still alive. Christopher Caldwell in the NY Press described Condit as "Don Juan in Hell". Which I think is pretty accurate. He was screwing around with the help. Something happened to her so now his indiscretion has been found out. I don't think he was in any way involved in whatever happened to her. He's just a lying, cheating coward.

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: gwrjr33 ]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 3, 2001, 02:17 PM

Oh, I'm not saying he wasn't "screwing around with the help." That's probably true. And it's probably at least part of why he's not saying anything.
Her bank account hasn't been touched. She'd need somebody to pay the bills.
First, you assume she has only one account. Lots of people have more than one, for a variety of reasons. Depending on the methods she used, she could easily be using an account that hasn't been looked at yet, for any one of a variety of reasons.

It's also possible that someone else is paying the bills. If she is still alive and hiding from something, it's even possible that Condit himself may be doing it, just to make sure she stays quiet. Granted, this doesn't seem likely, but it's a possibility.

And even if those aren't real possibilities, there are others. It's quite possible to go into hiding and never be found; Bobby Fischer (assuming he's still alive) and Salman Rushdie both do this, only coming out for (very) brief periods -always deliberately- and then slipping back into the shadows. No doubt we'll have "Chandra sightings" starting up in a few weeks; keep your eyes on the sleazy tabloids.
It doesn't feel to me like she is still alive. Christopher Caldwell in the NY Press described Condit as "Don Juan in Hell". Which I think is pretty accurate.
It's probably true, at least as far as that quote is concerned. He's obviously keeping quiet to protect himself. From what I don't know, though a sex scandal is almost definitely at least part of it.

You know, I was listening to a radio show recently where they were talking about this. And they brought up an interesting point: this is, in the end, a missing-person case in a city where hundreds of people go missing every year. It's always a grave shame, but why is only this one getting all the attention? Just some food for thought...
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Scott_H  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 4, 2001, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by gwrjr33:
<STRONG>Did you see how improbably red her hair is? Wow.</STRONG>
Not only that but she claims to be 39 years old. I'm sure she was 39 years old.

Scott_H  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2001, 01:01 AM

No new info but it's getting hotter for Condit. Seems as though suicide is not the case thought.
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/07/07/politics/07COND.html

OpinionJournal has some idle thoughts that are almost not worth repeating.

gwrjr33
Senior User
Jul 12, 2001, 02:58 PM

Ann Coulter begins her column today with an amusing one liner, "We won't be certain that Congressman Gary Condit is guilty until Alan Dershowitz defends him."

Scott_H  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2001, 06:52 PM

I'm staring to think that Condit may actually have something to do with this girl going missing. Before I was thinking that she killed herself or maybe ran off or maybe is was random violence. But now...
  • Levy was always asked to leave her ID and stuff at home when she went to see Condit. From the reports it seems that she left her apartment with just her keys. Was she seeing Condit? Was it arranged or was she coming over uninvited. Condit's wife was in town that weekend.
  • Levy told a friend that she had to go to the doctor. After being pressed by the friend Levy said she may be pregnant. Also Levy left a message on her Aunts voice mail just before she was leave saying that she had "big news" or something like that. Did she see a doctor? Was there a pregnant test in her apartment?
  • Levy called Condit several times that weekend. Why did she need to see him so badly? Did he avoid her because his wife was in town. Did Levy leave on her own to see Condit because he refused to call her back?
  • Condit has lied over and over. He provided his schedule to the police. It says that on the day Levy went missing Condit had an interview with a reporter. Turns out the reporter says that day is wrong. It was the day before (or maybe after I can't remember). So if he wasn't there then where was he?
  • Condit's people said he did not have a car. Well he does. Did the cops search the car? If not they need to.
  • Before the cops searched his place Condit was found dumping stuff in Northern Virginia. Turns out to be a watch some woman (yes another one) gave him. Should they be looking for Levy in NoVA?

Seems to me that Levy left her place to go see Condit. I don't know why but there's good rumors that she was pregnant. That's motive for Condit. If she shows at at his place when his wife was there what would he do? Maybe she never made it and it was random?

Also add to the fact that Condit is acting so damn guilty. He hasn't given anyone one reason to think he actually had nothing to do with this.

I gave him 8 weeks in the beginning of the thread. That's about September 1st. He may be gone by then. Maybe in handcuffs?

Forum Links
Forum Rules