Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > What's your favorite Linux distro?

What's your favorite Linux distro?
itim55
Forum Regular
Apr 19, 2001, 02:58 PM

I have none, so how about some opinions?

------------------
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.

utidjian
Senior User
Apr 20, 2001, 10:11 PM

On Intel I like RedHat... I have tried 6 or 7 Linux distros and that is my favorite. Good hardware recognition and support... good stability, outstanding features and good software support.

On Mac I like SuSE. I am currently usng 7.0. It si the only one I could get to install correctly. I have tried Linux-PPC2000 and Yellow Dog. I d/led Linux-PPC200 and got it installed but I cuoldn't get it to boot without the CD and I couldn't get better than 8bit color. Yellow Dog I bought the full package AND support. I got to the same stage as Linix-PPC2000... I tried their support which really really sucked. That pissed me off so much I called them on the phone and complained... then someone helped me over the phone which was very decent of them since I wasn't entitled to phone support. Anyhow... I prefer the SuSE.

-DU-...etc...
-DU-...etc...

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 23, 2001, 12:29 PM

I had YDL...I returned it..SuSe 7.1 is very good...better than OSX!

Originally posted by utidjian:
On Intel I like RedHat... I have tried 6 or 7 Linux distros and that is my favorite. Good hardware recognition and support... good stability, outstanding features and good software support.

On Mac I like SuSE. I am currently usng 7.0. It si the only one I could get to install correctly. I have tried Linux-PPC2000 and Yellow Dog. I d/led Linux-PPC200 and got it installed but I cuoldn't get it to boot without the CD and I couldn't get better than 8bit color. Yellow Dog I bought the full package AND support. I got to the same stage as Linix-PPC2000... I tried their support which really really sucked. That pissed me off so much I called them on the phone and complained... then someone helped me over the phone which was very decent of them since I wasn't entitled to phone support. Anyhow... I prefer the SuSE.

-DU-...etc...

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
May 12, 2001, 02:24 PM

Well, it really depends on what machine you want to run it on, and what you want to use it for. Do you want to run a dedicated server, or to mainly do development?

On a more 'cosmic level' it really doesn't matter... and I've used MkLinux, LinuxPPC and Yellowdog... but for what's it worth, I prefer Debian, though I had an awful lot of help from my colleages at work (who are hard core linux users)... and in turn, they got a big kick watching their favorite OS run on my PowerBook.

P.S. I wouldn't overlook Mac OS X if your machine can handle it... it comes with most of the unix power tools out of the box.

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2001, 06:07 PM

I have OSX, but I am not using it much. I am using Linux, now.

Originally posted by daimoni:
Well, it really depends on what machine you want to run it on, and what you want to use it for. Do you want to run a dedicated server, or to mainly do development?

On a more 'cosmic level' it really doesn't matter... and I've used MkLinux, LinuxPPC and Yellowdog... but for what's it worth, I prefer Debian, though I had an awful lot of help from my colleages at work (who are hard core linux users)... and in turn, they got a big kick watching their favorite OS run on my PowerBook.

P.S. I wouldn't overlook Mac OS X if your machine can handle it... it comes with most of the unix power tools out of the box.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
May 12, 2001, 08:57 PM

Originally posted by RichardET:
I have OSX, but I am not using it much. I am using Linux, now.
Good point. I totally agree. I'm not about to abandon Linux for the first few point releases of OS X. Linux runs very fast on my current Mac... I can't say the same for OS X. I'm starting to get afraid that I'll have to spring for a G4 soon just to keep up with OS X. This is not what I'd call "good design" and I don't want to become an apologist for a sluggish OS.

And despite the available tweaks to the Aqua interface, in its current form it sometimes makes me yearn for Ximian GNOME... or no windowing system at all

I think both GUI's could use a closer look at the classic Apple Human Interface Guidelines... but those Apple Software Updates for OS X keep coming (which is encouraging) - so I'm trying not to reserve too much judgment right now.

cschmelz
Forum Regular
May 15, 2001, 01:07 PM

I want to convert an old 8500 to a web serving, email serving tower of speed. Currently it is running 9.1 and some server software, but I'm not real impressed with it's stability and am thinking about converting it over to a linux distribution

Any recommendations for the EASIEST setup?

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 16, 2001, 01:53 PM

Well, if you want easy, go with some Mac OS solution. Linux is fast, stable and powerful, but easy is not an adjective that can be applied yet. While some Linuxes have better configuration tools than others, they still basically cover the basics. Virtual hosts, for example, are not in the scope of most such tools. The only exception I have seen so far is Red Hat 7.1 on a PC, which has comprehensive tools (albeit with one of the lousiest user interfaces known to man). SuSe 7.1 on PC or Mac should be similar, although I can't say that from first-hand experience.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules