Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Any Ideas for a Old 1

Any Ideas for a Old 1
CropA
May 10, 2001, 05:56 PM

I,ve just donated a 68k Quadra 800 to college and managed to attach it to a 10 system Redhat 5.2 linux network we have just completed has part of a assignment I can log into any machine through Telnet and have also just configured Netatalk and can access user home directories. Does any one know if it is possible to access the whole hard drive through netatalk. I have tried numerous ways. Also is it possible to attach a mac to a beowulf network for parallel processing, I,ve had a scout around the web and dont think it can be done with pvm program that is currently used.
I think my last option would be to install UNIX on the mac, can any one point me in the right direction for a easy to install OS for this mac.
Regards
CropA

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2001, 06:30 PM

check www.mklinux.org

Originally posted by CropA:
I,ve just donated a 68k Quadra 800 to college and managed to attach it to a 10 system Redhat 5.2 linux network we have just completed has part of a assignment I can log into any machine through Telnet and have also just configured Netatalk and can access user home directories. Does any one know if it is possible to access the whole hard drive through netatalk. I have tried numerous ways. Also is it possible to attach a mac to a beowulf network for parallel processing, I,ve had a scout around the web and dont think it can be done with pvm program that is currently used.
I think my last option would be to install UNIX on the mac, can any one point me in the right direction for a easy to install OS for this mac.
Regards
CropA

MacMonster
Forum Regular
May 11, 2001, 09:53 AM

mkLinux can only run on PPC Macs.
I think Debian is a good choice for 68K Macs.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 11, 2001, 01:00 PM

Or NetBSD. (Click here for direct link to the Mac 68K port.)

tooki

[This message has been edited by tooki (edited 05-11-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules