Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > YellowDog install, Ethernet drivers, printing, etc.

YellowDog install, Ethernet drivers, printing, etc.
rok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2001, 11:17 PM

well, i am officially taking the plunge and am going to try installing yellow dog 2.0 on my old 6400 to see if i can breathe some new life into it (it currently runs as my file/web server and internet router, but the mac os 9 really produces far too much overhead).

i have heard great things about yellow dog - hopefully they are right. but here are my concerns...

will i be able to use yellowdog as a file server to my other macs on my network?
will i still be able to connect to my pppoe internet account and route the signal to my other two macs?
do my asante ethernet cards (x2 - they are the same model) require specific drivers?
do i have to remove the mac os in order to install and use yellowdog? (i'd like to be able to dual boot to get back to the mac os in case this all blows up in my face)

that's it for now. thanks for any help, folks...

<Kjetil>
Oct 20, 2001, 05:31 PM

Wow! I was just about to ask about EXACTLY the same!

Originally posted by rok:
<STRONG>well, i am officially taking the plunge and am going to try installing yellow dog 2.0 on my old 6400 to see if i can breathe some new life into it (it currently runs as my file/web server and internet router, but the mac os 9 really produces far too much overhead).

i have heard great things about yellow dog - hopefully they are right. but here are my concerns...

will i be able to use yellowdog as a file server to my other macs on my network?
will i still be able to connect to my pppoe internet account and route the signal to my other two macs?
do my asante ethernet cards (x2 - they are the same model) require specific drivers?
do i have to remove the mac os in order to install and use yellowdog? (i'd like to be able to dual boot to get back to the mac os in case this all blows up in my face)

that's it for now. thanks for any help, folks... </STRONG>

ringo
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2001, 05:30 PM

Don't know if your 6400 can handle both OS's or not. Yellowdog's site covers the requirements here:
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/support/faq/macos.shtml

Looks like there's a program called "Mac on Linux" that will emulate a Mac OS while running in linux. Details here (Near the bottom):
http://www.applelinks.com/mooresviews/linapp.shtml

Everything is at-your-own-risk, of course. If you make the plunge, be sure to tell us all about it.

Cheers,
Ringo

bluedog
Mac Elite
Oct 24, 2001, 09:36 PM

Yellow dog allows for dual booting (with a boot sequence interface for switching)

You'll love it when it works. The built-in ethernet is all you need for a network server. If you want 'added security and throughput' as a router/firewall then perhaps a second card would be necessary. You can compile or find a linux kernel with support for additional cards (most need to be based of the 'tulip chipset' if I remember correctly.

As you are asking for routing info and want to set up PPOE with it. I'm not sure on the specifics, but it can be done (and you don't *need* a second ethernet card to route and share your connection.

Mac-On-Linux when it works makes you really appreciate what Linux can do. it runs your OS on the seperate partition and boots, runs and runs really well. You may want an HFS partition in addition (not HFS+) to use as a go-between and transfer partition because linux can't read the HFS+ partitions yet.

The setup you are asking for is not going to be simple to configure (in Linux) for routing and such, but once it works you'll be amazed. Linux is very robust and your machine should run great with it. If you don't want to use it for anything but fileservices and routing, I suggest installing with the X-Windows option, but boot into the command line.

Then if you want to start X-Windows you can, but the machine won't need the overhead unless you want to use it.

Enjoy!

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: bluedog ]

<i just installed>
Nov 11, 2001, 12:17 AM

i installed yellow dog 2.1 on my g4 466 geforce 2mx and after 6 hours of fidling i could only use it at the highest resolution, (1600-1200) on my monitor -SyncMaster 900 NF (samsung) every other setting ****ed it up, the apps are nice, but my eyes hurt, so at this moment i'm back in mac os, (note i just installed it today) i really feel like erasing linux and butting ox 9 and x back, but i like it and think i'm gonna give it another try... internet does not work... i have rogers @home service and an ethernet cable connectiong to a hub which has a lijne connecting to a pc box, just in case this info matters, so i'm looking to find out how to resolve this issue as soon as possible (what's a computer without the net?) so , in retrospect, i'm having 2 major beefs: too high resolution... no internet ... and oh yeah, how do i start mol? i admit i have not looked into mol too much, but it's important to me. actually the monitor resolution is the most important thing, cuz no way i'm gonna work at that resolution, !!!

any help apreciated sory about blabering on and on...

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 15, 2001, 12:02 PM

I have a robust G4 400 sawtooth with 2 drives, a 30gig and a 20 gig. I have OSX 10.1 on the 30g, and I partitioned the 20gig with 5 partions, a MacOS 6gig, a 10gig for linux, and ~4gig for a HFS, 128meg for linux swap,
and a 30meg boot partition for linux. I now have SuSE 7.1 loaded and it works flawlessly, but I cannot get YDL 2.1 to work fully. The yaboot loader fails to recognize the boot partition. Based on my crrent experience, I suggest SuSE 7.1

Originally posted by &lt;i just installed&gt;:
<STRONG>i installed yellow dog 2.1 on my g4 466 geforce 2mx and after 6 hours of fidling i could only use it at the highest resolution, (1600-1200) on my monitor -SyncMaster 900 NF (samsung) every other setting ****ed it up, the apps are nice, but my eyes hurt, so at this moment i'm back in mac os, (note i just installed it today) i really feel like erasing linux and butting ox 9 and x back, but i like it and think i'm gonna give it another try... internet does not work... i have rogers @home service and an ethernet cable connectiong to a hub which has a lijne connecting to a pc box, just in case this info matters, so i'm looking to find out how to resolve this issue as soon as possible (what's a computer without the net?) so , in retrospect, i'm having 2 major beefs: too high resolution... no internet ... and oh yeah, how do i start mol? i admit i have not looked into mol too much, but it's important to me. actually the monitor resolution is the most important thing, cuz no way i'm gonna work at that resolution, !!!

any help apreciated sory about blabering on and on... </STRONG>

Forum Links
Forum Rules