Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Newton questions

Newton questions
SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 20, 2000, 06:38 PM

When my old computer sells (http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=413768370 if you're interested) I was going to use the money for a PalmOS device.. however, I think I've seen the light and will try to get a Newton (preferably 2k-series).. I just have a few questions first..
1.) is the screen easy to see (being black-on-green)?
2.) does it sync well with a serial/usb adaptor? can anyone recommend one that works well with the Newton?
3.) how durable is the hardware when it comes to bumps, etc.
4.) how easy is the GUI to learn?
5.) are there any accessories that I should REALLY try to get (aside from keyboard, memory, batt. packs, and cases)?
6.) what's the battery life like on an MP130, 2000, and 2100?
7.) anything else I really need to know?
8.) anyone have any they might want to sell me?

Thanks a lot in advance.. I'm really getting excited about joining the Newton world (even if I am a few years late ).

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Aug 20, 2000, 08:43 PM

1) The screen is very easy to see, its high contrast and the green backlight is bright and soothing Just look at an indiglo watch, its the same type of backlight.

2) There are a few adapters that are known to work well with the Newton, but one of the best features of the Newton (2x00 and eMate) is that it can sync through Appletalk-Ethernet. So you can just connect it to your mac thru a hub or crossover cable so its Very fast and very easy! BTW the ethernet also supports TCP/IP so you can connect to the net with your DSL, Cable, T3 etc etc

3) I've heard of ppl who dropped they'res a few times and it faired ok, I have myself once and it was fine.
sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Location: meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow, meow meow meow meow meow meow meow meo
Aug 20, 2000, 08:43 PM

4) The GUI is the BEST I have EVER used...
When I was in grade 7, my classmates and I the test subjects for the eMates the board was going to buy. We had no instruction, they just gave them to us and within the hour we were drawing, typing and printing away. The BEST (!)

5) Ethernet card: as i said earlier, allows connection to the net, syncing with your Mac.

6) 24 hours!!! (less with backlight)

7) The Newton is the absolute best machine I've owned. Beautiful hardware, SUPRIME software. Its somthing you have to experience... almost every day I find something else amazing that my Newton can do.
Like web-SERVING with the NPDS package which is now amazingly powerful. Heres the nhttpd server tracker URL: http://130.126.50.66/tracker.cgi

8) Im keepin my two for now, you can find some good deals at ebay. (btw 2100/upgraded 2000)

s i n e
-''-..-

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2000, 10:37 PM

Thanks for the answers, you really eased some of my concerns. However, i know that sine is VERY biased for the Newton So, does anyone have anything else they'd like to share with the class?

sine -''-..-
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 21, 2000, 11:50 PM

I resent that

I dont think Im biased... if there was any beefs that I have had with the Newton I would be glad to share. I assume you already know that it has been discontinued etc etc..
I just share my personal experience with the Newton so others may learn, and make the choice they will most benifit them later.
My use of the Newton platform has been Very positive; there's a very dedicated and intelligent community of users, its a unique product, and its the kind of machine that I cant picture ever not having in the future.

sine -''-..-

now known as pillowcase

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2000, 02:24 AM

WHAT?!?!?! THE NEWTON WAS DISCONTINUED?!?!?! when did this happen?! haha.. anyway, I'd rather hear positive things about the newton (i'm one of those "glass-is-half-full" type of guys). It also helps me see how it can increase my productivity, etc. (not how it will harm it- unless, of course, there is some certain critical issue which I'm unaware of). thanks again.

WL2100
Aug 22, 2000, 04:05 AM

First, you'll need a way to install the Ethernet .pkgs, I use the Keyspan's USB-to-Serial Adapter(not the Palm version). Then you can connect via Ethernet.

Other than that...

1. I use Quickfigure Pro for spreadsheets(still available).
2. Notion 2.x for a flat database(still available).
3. PocketQuicken 1.2 for checking/credit card record keeping(not sold or supported, but still works the best IMHO).
get it here... newtoncage
4. LOTS OF GAMES!!! Some as new as May 2000!!!
get them here... planetnewton
5. I have a 32 meg. linear flash card for most stuff, Paul G. is trying to complete a CompactFlash card reader/driver!!!
6. I download at least 200 emails a day, some with GIF's and JPEG's.
7. I browse the web with Newt's Cape, with ani. gif's, frames, and COOKIES!!!
8. I print thru... A) IrDA to certain HP printers, B) Serial to Parallel to Epson 740, or just fax with the built-in software.
9. I exchange info. via Smartdog's ObEx stack to Palm/Handspring.
10. I am waiting for a cable to connect to the web/email thru the Nokia cell phone...let's see, what else do I need to add...

Oh yeah, the HWR is pretty good(all the neg. press is based on the older 1.0-1.3 OS, press don't care about a good thing, just whatever sells ) but if your writing is THAT bad then get the keyboard.

Oh yeah, I've dropped mine at least three times from about 3 ft., *BUT* YMMV!!!

Oh yeah, get a REAL PDA Pen, the stock one just screws up the screen, try CrossWriter.
------------------
!ooW �)

[This message has been edited by WL2100 (edited 08-22-2000).]
!ooW �)

Fran441
Aug 22, 2000, 10:59 AM

Definitely get the Newton. Airport support is also coming along.

------------------
--------------------------
Its time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, long live the Newton!
Its time for Apple to release a new PDA, but until it does, long live the Newton!

AppleInsider poster since 1998.
[email protected]

Forum Links
Forum Rules