Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Flip Cover for Visor

Flip Cover for Visor
SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Mar 12, 2001, 06:10 PM

Anyone know of a good flip cover (like the ones found on Palm PDAs) for the Handspring Visor? The snap on cover is a real pain.

marusin
Senior User
Mar 12, 2001, 06:31 PM

Check out http://www.tactilis.com/
They have some really cool flip lids that look and work great!

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
Anyone know of a good flip cover (like the ones found on Palm PDAs) for the Handspring Visor? The snap on cover is a real pain.

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2001, 07:06 PM

Thanks, those look pretty good. However, I'd wait until the lid actually designed for the Visor (not PalmIII) comes out. Anyone know of anything available now?

(Note: I posted a reply like this last night, but it has since disappeared, perhaps due to the forums being down temporarily).

huh?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 29, 2001, 12:15 AM

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
May 29, 2001, 04:06 PM

flip cover
I ordered one today I will keep you informed on when it arrives, and how it works.
At least at the Asylum, they treat me with respect.

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
May 29, 2001, 07:56 PM

WOW! That's EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thanks! Mikithecrackhead, I eagerly await your report before I actually put down the $ on one. Thanks again!

huh?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 31, 2001, 06:52 PM

I beat Miki to it... Here's my report:

It arrived yesterday, and I really like it. Can't say anything about it's durability, as I've only used it <24 hours, but it's looks like it the answer I've been searching for. If you have any "normal" sized springboards that you use regularly, you can also get an adapter from them that mounts the cover on your module. As you said, it's exactly what I've been looking for -- the only thing I didn't like about my Visor Deluxe was the lame snap on/off lid. That and the cracks it developed in the lid retention slot (they FedEx'd me a replacement - very nice service). If you're still not convinced about the flipcover, check out:
http://www.visorcentral.com/page/0-6-110-1-6.htm

Enjoy,

--huh?

[This message has been edited by huh? (edited 05-31-2001).]

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 1, 2001, 09:39 AM

huh, when did you order it? I ordered on 5/29 and I have not received a confirmation email?
(am I being impatient) I emailed them today asking them if they received my order.

huh?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2001, 05:58 PM

Ordered on 5/24 around 11:00 PM and received an almost immediate confirmation e-mail (automatically generated, I assume). According to the order status link in that message, my order was filled on Saturday the 26th and I received it this past Wednesday the 30th. Not bad considering there was a holiday in there.

--huh?

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 2, 2001, 02:10 AM

remember to order extra hinges..man i hate having hte cover on the back when i'm using it..hurts my hand...so i put my fingers through the middle..and my attempt to hide it from the teacher...it brok one of the holder things.. grrr..i need to buy like 5 hinges hehe..i have a apple logo on the cover of the flip cover hahah i get peecee ppl saying.. "oh its a mac one" i'm like wtf..jsut because its mac pda dont mean it sucks..i mean if it was a mac pda..i'm lthinking **** damn windows ppl...dakdfj;lksfjadk jdfafucxkzjv;cklxjzklj damn it..grrr
-Athlon XP 1500+, 256 PC2700 DDR RAM, 30 + 60 gig HD.
-Powermac G4 "Digital Audio", 384mb ram, 40gig HD, 16mb rage pro 128
-original iPod 5gig =]

andi*pandi
Jun 4, 2001, 01:24 PM

my fiance got me the flipcover for my visor deluxe. It's ok, but not perfect.

1) the hinge is too wide, therefore the cover doesn't lay flat! It's like a little ramp with about 1/8 inch of clearance for dirt and stuff to get caught under there and scratch the screen. argh. If they made the hinges a narrower... why oh why the bad engineering?

2) the latch/snap isn't as secure as the one that came with visor--it takes very little force to release the lid--thus exposing the screen to yet more scratches. I'm a little leery of letting the visor float around loose in a purse/backpack now, knowing the cover could come off at any time.

3) don't like the way, when cover is flipped behind, the visor tilts away from you, not toward you, making seeing a little harder.

4. can't use it with my new GPS module... but ok, can't use regular cover either.

I'll stay with it for a while... my biggest complaint is the ramp. Possibly if they fixed that, the cover would be more secure and less likely to release.

huh?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2001, 06:41 PM

Not sure what you mean about the "ramp" effect. Mine fits pretty flush. Maybe a slight gap up near the hinge, but certainly nothing anywhere near 1/8 of an inch! (Take a look at a ruler - I can't believe yours gaps that badly) Have you had yours for awhile? Maybe they've improved the design. Mine fits pretty much the same as the snap cover it came with. As for it flopping open, I could see that happening. To me, however, it seems much more secure than the Palm III flip covers - those don't latch at all. As for it not laying flat when you flip it around, that's a function of the latch - for those of you who haven't seen one, the lower latch is exactly the same as the one on the snap cover. Therefore, when the cover is flipped around back, that curved lip faces out. The only way for them to improve on this would be to not have a latch (ala the Palm III covers), but that would make it much less secure. If you want to lay it flat, you can just flip the cover up 180� rather than around the back.

I'm going on a week now, and I'm still happy with mine...

andi*pandi
Jun 4, 2001, 11:48 PM

I got mine last week too. My visor is less than a year old.

Ok, doubting thomas, er, huh--just measured the ramp gap, and it's just under 1/8 inch. Ok, 3/32. Want that in Picas? I could stick the ruler thru the gap and wiggle it around--definitely not something I could do with the regular cover!

I call it a ramp because at the base, where it latches, it is flush... but at the top, where the hinge is, is higher...

Yeah, the flipover part doesn't really bother me that much, I just leave it open 180 now, or since it's easier to open, actually close it while it's sitting on the desk. With the old cover, I used to snap it on the back and never move it all day, just so I wouldn't have to fiddle with the cover!

I'm wondering if they designed this for an older visor, that maybe was thicker. If so, they should give me a new hinge!

huh?
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 5, 2001, 12:22 AM

Weird. I just double-checked mine against the snap-on lid. Same answer as before. Fits more or less flush. Miki, has yours arrived yet? Perhaps you can be the tiebreaker on this mystery of mysteries... Not that this is worth hashing out any further, but... Maybe its a color thing - I've heard people swear that there are subtle size differences between the different colors (something like the ice vdx has a slightly taller screen??? not sure exactly). Mine is ice, how about yours? Mine is also less than a year old. Actually, less than a month old when you consider that Handspring just replaced it.

One more thing... This flip cover thingy seems to solve the problem I described earlier with a cracked retention slot. The top latch of the snap lid used to "jump" out of the slot (toward the springboard slot) when I would carry my visor in my pocket. That eventually led to the back edge of the slot cracking. Now my problem will probably be broken or worn out hinges . Can't get a new visor for that, can I?

By the way, how many picas are there in 3/32 of an inch? And you better stop wiggling that ruler around under the cover, you might scratch your screen!

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 5, 2001, 02:33 AM

They did not recieve my order. They replied on monday 5 days after I placed the order. I ordered again and I got a confirmation email. I ordered the green flip cover to match my visor.
I ordered the standard ground shipping.( I could not pay $15 for next day when the flip cover is only $12.99)

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 7, 2001, 12:17 AM

I got my green flipcover today wednesday 6/6/2001. I re-ordered it on monday. next day shipping would have had it here on tuesday and would have cost me $15. I ordered the standard ground shipping for only $1.50. ...(one day later 13.50 less.)

The fit is nice and snug. Fits perfect. I cannot fit a coin in between the cover and the visor screen. ( any coin,penny dime, quarter.) I can force a credit card through but it will not fit under normal conditions. I feeel confident about throwing my visor with flip cover into a bag with coins, keys, pens, etc. I don't think anything can get in between to damage the screen.
>andi pandi maybe you got a defective flip cover. They said they would replace it at no additional cost.
My green visor is under a year old( i got it in october 2000) the green cover matches the visor well. I think I am going to like this cover

andi*pandi
Jun 8, 2001, 02:40 PM

ok, I sent an email to flipcover... and it appears that they simply sent me a PRISM flipcover instead of regular visor deluxe. They're going to send a replacement... I 'll let you all know if it is all better!

SupahCoolX  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 11, 2001, 11:34 PM

Well, I ordered my black flipcover the other day and, like a jackanus selected 2 day shipping where the 2nd day was Sunday. So, I got today after realizing my stupid move. Anyway, enough about me. This is one great product! It works well, fits perfectly, and all that good stuff. It seems like IT should have been the Visor's "real" cover. The only bad thing (though not really that big a deal) I noticed is that it shows fingerprints/ hand marks a lot worse than the old cover or the visor itself. I guess it's just because it's a slightly different plastic or maybe it's just not worn in. Anyway, I whole heartedly endorse the Flip Cover! www.flipcover.com

WTWolfe
Jun 12, 2001, 07:07 AM

Originally posted by marusin
:
<STRONG>Check out http://www.tactilis.com/
They have some really cool flip lids that look and work great!

</STRONG>
Just ordered a Blue lid for my wife's Blue Visor Deluxe and a purple one for my Visor Prism! I will let you know what we think when we get them! I really like the Palm III style lid, my best friend has a Palm III. In fact that is probably the best feature of the Palm III (I am not a Palm fan).
� G4 350 (AGP) 640MB OS 9.2.2
� iBook SE 466 Graphite 192MB OS X v10.1.4 (5Q125)

andi*pandi
Jun 15, 2001, 12:41 PM

hey guys, got the replacement cover, and yes indeed, it fits. So now I have two, in case I ever get a prism!

All is well, my emails to the company were promptly returned, and they seem like good guys. Plus based in Newton!

mikithecrackhead
Senior User
Jun 20, 2001, 01:52 PM

UPDATE: flip cover is now cracked by the hinge and is now useless.
I will try and return it to see if I can get it replaced

Forum Links
Forum Rules