Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > MacNN Clan

MacNN Clan
bizzare
Jul 4, 2000, 09:32 AM

anyone want to start a MacNN clan for Quake 3 or Quake 3 Fortress? I say us Mac users would kick the sh*t out of the PC losers. If this does get attention, I'll start a Q3 MacNN server off a T1. Sh*tty thing is I have to run it off a PC.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2000, 11:22 AM

That's an awesome idea.

I've competed in several tournaments last summer and have nothing but owned PC users. On theclq.com I was ranked 292 in Quake III: Arena out of some six million people.

Email me about it. Either that, or IM me on AOL Instant Messenger. It's "seanyepez".

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by seanyepez (edited 07-05-2000).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2000, 11:27 AM

I'll fight under "[MacNN]RoadWarrior" or "[MacNN]AniMeAddiCt". I'm a mobile user, and kick ass out of people with better frame rates too.

Sure, I go by "Lagmaster" when I'm on dial-up. I get a 800-999 ping, and own with lag. Trust me, isn't it annoying to kill someone like me, and discover a rocket exploding on you ten seconds later?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 5, 2000, 11:32 AM

If you want a Mac to run the server off of, maybe we can get MacNN to run the server off their super-sweet Internet connection with one of their super-sweet Macs.

T1 connections are sweet. What kind of server would you it off of? Is it a fairly new Pentium III or Athlon system? If you need a faster system than those latest machines, perhaps you can have my Performa 6115 to run it off of.

Then again, is your connection a dedicated line? I doubt it, because I don't know many people who spend that kind of money on a T1 line in order to run a server.

bizzare  (op)
Jul 5, 2000, 01:52 PM

It would be a P3. But if MacNN can host it, that would be better and faster.

Ca$h68
Banned
Jul 5, 2000, 08:34 PM

I dunno, I think you guys will get reamed. PCs have much better framerates than macs, and if you're both really good, they'll win. Sorry.

Ca$h

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2000, 10:15 AM

Who says I'm going to be playing on my laptop?

It's true that Wintel machines have better hardware for gaming. That's why I have a (recently upgraded) AMD Athlon 1-gigahertz system with half a gigabyte of RAM and an nVidia GeForce 256 GTS graphics card...

...running Linux.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2000, 10:16 AM

Plus, who says hardware is everything?

If someone really sucks and has the best framerates in the world, do you think I'll lose?

I personally can live with the G4's framerates, and the PowerBook's framerates aren't too shabby either!

(Why did I put in a period instead of a question mark in the first sentence...? )

[This message has been edited by seanyepez (edited 07-07-2000).]

alex l-r
Jul 7, 2000, 10:37 AM

Hardware doesn't mean jack squat. If you got the skillz to pay the bills you don't need top of the line hardware to rape and pillage the otherside

Alex Richards

Ca$h68
Banned
Jul 7, 2000, 02:03 PM

Hey , what if i have the skills to pay the billz, but I also have top end hardware?

Oh yeah. You'd be freaking OWNED.

Ca$h

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 07-07-2000).]

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2000, 02:18 PM

Don't insult other forum members with such petty issues.

Based upon the other posts I've seen you make, Ca$h, it seems that you only care about hardware - not true gaming skills.

I do believe I have the rail and instagib skills to own anyone. And, I have processing power to spare (71 frames per second in High Quality mode and more).

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2000, 06:19 PM

In online games, the PC/Mac constantly knows the position of the other players, so that it can render them as you turn to them.

Is there a way to hack into Q3 and UT and develop an auto-warning/auto-aim command in the client/gamer side? Also, would it be possible to program an X-ray vision in the game program so you can see people behind walls?

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 8, 2000, 01:35 AM

It's called a bot.

Cheater.

bizzare  (op)
Jul 8, 2000, 04:12 AM

I hate people like you. Go play UT or somthing.

Originally posted by The Godfather:
In online games, the PC/Mac constantly knows the position of the other players, so that it can render them as you turn to them.

Is there a way to hack into Q3 and UT and develop an auto-warning/auto-aim command in the client/gamer side? Also, would it be possible to program an X-ray vision in the game program so you can see people behind walls?

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 8, 2000, 12:08 PM

I'm sure that there technically is a way, however, almost all (if not all) Quake 3 servers are run on a setting called 'Pure' which completely shuts down any chance of you ever being able to run a modified version of Quake 3 online at that server. If you decide to use an unpure server, have fun - chances are it'll be full of people just like you. I'm sure it would be a 'fun' project, but I doubt you're gonna get a chance to use it against others.

P.S Cash68 - I agree =) From what I've seen of many PC gamers, they just scare me. Their entire life consists of sitting in front of their 21 inch tube hooked up to an overclocked Pentium3 and blasting people on thier T1 connection. If the average Mac gamer (who it seems to me have other things to do with their lives than play games all day) tried to go up against them they will be owned, regardless of hardware. Plus, the people who make up PC Quake clans suffer an even larger personality disorder than most, and most likely spend EVEN LONGER sitting in front of the tube each day. Don't get me wrong, it might be fun (if I had a little more than a 56K modem) but the chances of 'kicking their ass' would be quite low. Unless of course you went around picking on the crappy Quake clans. Now that'd be a riot.
WARNING: the above statement was a huge stinking generalization, and I know it. However, if you want to argue it's not true, feel free. Just take a shot at me, buddy.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 10, 2000, 03:25 AM

Thanks Sean, I had no idea bots existed. Well, anyways my iMac/A can't play UT or Q3

xanadu
Jul 10, 2000, 12:45 PM

A bot is an opponent simulated by the computer to act like a human opponent would, thus allowing you to play a multiplayer game without connecting to the internet. I have no idea what seanyepez is referring to when he says that a bot is something that allows you to see through walls and otherwise cheat. Sorry, Godfather, looks like you're outta luck twice over.

Ca$h68
Banned
Jul 11, 2000, 02:13 AM

Hey Godfather, it will if you slap a V2 in it and a better processor. Trust me, its cool!

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2000, 11:51 PM

I've seen someone disqualified at a LAN party for using a bot. The guy got kicked out of the house and his computer was angrily yanked from the network and laid outside (in a harsh manner). He's not allowed at any LAN party in the Bay Area anymore, because people know people around here.

Because he was disqualified, I was awarded the #1 position. I can't beat a bot, especially in the level we were playing. DM17, otherwise known as "The Longest Yard", is the map we were playing. The bot schooled me with the railgun.

Don't use a bot.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 12, 2000, 02:51 AM

Ca$h, in most cases, performing such a refit on a computer (especially the iMac) is highly inadvisable. First of all, you'd risk breaking your iMac, and, by now, it's out of warranty.

The G3 upgrade cards are extremely expensive, and some require your old card in exchange. The G3 upgrade cards will increase performance, but they cost around $500 (for a decent card).

Oh, and, by the way, Ca$h, the Voodoo2 cards for the iMac's expansion slot (well, it wasn't meant for that, but hey) are extremely rare and usually pricy.

Doing these upgrades put you at risk of breaking your iMac. MacNN doesn't condone procedures that may break your hardware and get us all into legal troubles. I don't, either. Eat this, legal scum.

xanadu
Jul 12, 2000, 10:48 AM

I don't understand: this guy entered a bot into the game? That's just one more person running around shooting; my friends do it all the time, say if teams need balancing, or we just want more people in the game but there's no one else physically there. Unless your friend jacked the bot up to max skill level, but still...to say that kicking him out onto the front lawn seems like a massive overreaction at the very best. Sounds like there were a few people there who just couldn't stand losing....phew. Overinflated egos, indeed.

BTW, Ca$h: iMac + VooDoo2 + G3 upgrade = more than a G4? Or do you just wanna have the slickest computer on the block?

Ca$h68
Banned
Jul 13, 2000, 02:28 AM

Huh? Man. I wish some people would know what they are talking about before they do so.

Powerlogix offers a 500mhz upgrade card with a MEG of L2 Cache for 500 dollar, no trade in required. I saw it for as low as 460 actually.

iMac V2 expensive? not really. Just gotta find a used iMac with one in it, purchase the iMac, trade parts, sell the iMac. Cheap that way.

And breaking stuff?! ! Since when did "adding hardware" mean you'll break stuff?!?! What the heck?! Take out a few screws, plug something in, put screws back on.

>shrugs<

Ca$h

PS: No, franken iMac still gets stomped by G4s, but its a hella cool iMac, and its portable (which is really important to me)

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2000, 03:37 AM

I can't believe no one here in the games forum doesn't know what a bot is. It's one of those applications that you use to automatically aim at something and waste it. It basically adds so much to a player's arsenal that you can't win unless the player's really, really stupid or a total newbie.

Imagine this: you think you have someone in your sights with the rail gun, and half a second later you're a pile of slime on the ground. It automatically senses attackers and dodges bullets. If you have your cursor over it, well, you die.

It's cheap, lame, and uncool to have a bot.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 13, 2000, 03:39 AM

Franken-iMac gets wasted by my well-tweaked 500-megahertz PowerBook, too.

What kind of framerate do you get in Unreal Tournament running at 640 by 480 and high everything? I get 50-80 frames per second inside Liandri.

xanadu
Jul 13, 2000, 11:09 AM

Hey sean, do me a favour: go to any first-person shooter and select multiplayer. Now pretend you don't have some fancy high-speed internet connection, but still want to play some multiplayer. What's the name of the little button you hit? Uh huh. It's called a botmatch. What's that? Oh, hey, it's not a game where little applications that make you aim better run around and try to shoot you. It's a game where little opponents controlled by the computer run around and try to shoot you. I don' t know WTF that's called in the Bay area, but I have never heard of a 'bot' around here. Maybe we're just not as prone to cheating as you guys in the Bay area are. Relax man, it's not like we're insulting your manhood by not knowing what a bot is. Cheez. I agree though, whatever it's called it sounds pathetically stupid.

P.S Ca$h has the right to do whatever the heck he wants to his iMac. It's part of living in a free society.

P.P.S Go check the XLR8yourmac.com fps database - I don't know what the heck kind of 'tweaking' you've done to your PowerBook but other people are only getting 30 fps on demo1, so you might want to publish some sort of journal on just what you did to your PB to make it so fast. BTW, no one knows what 'Liandri' is, use the intro or one of the demos to give us some meaningful results.

DethPigeon
Jul 13, 2000, 04:03 PM

Hey, just a friendly PC user here. A bot seems to be basically anything that is AI controlled. There are the type of bots that are totally independant, and then there are the bots which aid the player by aiming automatically. They are cheap as hell, but I've heard they can be cumbersome. I think the problems start as your ping rises. So at a LAN, a stooge bot (thats what they were called in quake1 i think) would reign supreme.

Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Jul 13, 2000, 11:36 PM

A bot is either a) and AI controlled player or b) something carries out certain actions when certain conditions are in place.
If someone has a railgun trained on you, your bot might automatically turn around and, with 100% accuracy, frag them in one hit.
Sort of like the IRC bots - they are basically scripts.
Something that allowed you to see through walls would be more of a mod than a bot.
However if it simply found an opponent through a wall without you seeing them, then its a bot.
Get what I mean?
And back to topic - if there is a MacNN Clan, count me in. I haven't got much experience with Quake 3 or UT, but I can beat Q3A on the top difficulty with max bots allowed (in demo) with frag limit set to 100.
I have got exp with Team Fortress though - the Quake 1 version. Is there a Quake 3 version yet?
BTW the full vers of Q3A and UT I have is Wintel unfortunately...

Cipher13

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 14, 2000, 12:11 AM

Thank you Dethpigeon and Cipher13 for clearing that up before it got any uglier =).

I believe that there is indeed a version of Team Fortress in development for Q3 at the moment, and that it is currently in beta and downloadable whenever you like. However, from what I have heard, it does not currently support botmatches. So unless you've got a good connection, it's pointless.

I don't think anyone here cares that you've got the PC versions of UT or Q3 - once you're in the game there is fuctionally no difference in platforms (as I'm sure seanyepez with his Linux PC could tell you). Besides, it's the mentality, man, not the computer!

There seems to be quite a bit of interest in this idea - bizarre take note. If you can do the organizing you might just have something. Good luck!

Ca$h68
Banned
Jul 15, 2000, 02:52 AM

Hrm. Either that PB guy is exaggerating a WEE BIT (8 meg rage mobility vid cards arent exactly speed demons), or he has some custom setting that gets rid of damn near anything good looking ( like the gun, the items, all that stuff).

I get about 30-35 with everything on high, wherever I go. Some levels drag it down real slow at times, but average still stays good.

Ca$h

ussfolsom
Forum Regular
Jul 15, 2000, 11:01 PM

Is this MacNN clan just for Q3 or can us UT owners have one too?

I would be interested in being part of a UT clan if one was formed.

xanadu
Jul 16, 2000, 07:03 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but UT doesn't seem to be one of those games that attracts clans..? I haven't seen any, and certainly not as many as there are Q3 clans. But hey, there could be...keep trying for one.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2000, 03:52 AM

I haven't been on the forums for the past few days.

Obviously, we misunderstood each other. A "bot" is commonly referred to as the kind that allows you to cheat. In context, the "bot" that I'm referring to and everyone else that talks to me refers to is the kind that allows you to cheat. The Godfather was referring to the same kind.

I'm not a cheater.

My PowerBook gets lots and lots of frames per second because the application is hacked. I did a bunch of stuff to the graphics. I took out everything that makes Unreal Tournament look so good. It really makes laptop gaming viable. Liandri is an arena in Unreal Tournament.

In Quake III: Arena, I get about 60 frames per second because I use a modification that allows you to see wireframes of everything and no more. It's awesome for railing.

Trapper
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2000, 12:12 PM

Enough of this petty infighting. Do we now have a clan up and running or not? This is, as I understand it, the original point to this thread.

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
[email protected]
Travis

Ca$h68
Banned
Jul 17, 2000, 01:37 PM

man, thats like braggint hat your honda civic is really fast... when in reality you've already spent a lot of money on it, and then GUTTED the damn thing to get every ounce of performance (FPS) out of it, instead of having it look pretty. I thought the rage mobility was supposed to be ok?!

Yeechhhh!

Ca$h

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2000, 02:54 PM

Shut up Ca$h. The ATi Rage card in my PowerBook is awesome. I'm not even going to say anything to you - you're not worth my time until you stop being such an a**hole.

My card isn't modified. It's the game that's modified. There.

I don't know if we have a clan up and running yet. Well, I'm fighting under the [MaC] tag.

[This message has been edited by blizzard (edited 07-20-2000).]

Ca$h68
Banned
Jul 18, 2000, 01:05 AM

Im just saying it sorta defeats the purpose of running sucha nice looking game with everythig OFF and in wireframe. BTW: I wanna see how fast mine will go. Where'd you get that hacked app?

Ca$h

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 20, 2000, 11:23 PM

Is there really that much of a difference between 30 fps and 60 fps that it's worth wire-framing the game to make it run that fast? I mean, don't get me wrong, I don't get either of those framerates, but 25 fps seems fine and dandy to me...

I know a guy who used to own a P166, which he played Q2 on all the time. He'd turn off everything so that he was running around an area of white squares, holding a collection of white squares in front of him, for the purpose of shooting white squares at other white squares running around the same area of white squares...LOL. What some people do for speed...although I guess with a P166 he kinda needed to. Right. Time to go puttering off elsewhere...

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2000, 01:29 AM

Well, using wireframes, I get a better ping, too. That makes all the difference when you're on a PowerBook and dial-up.

I use a few other things with the wire hack. I have a heads-up display that puts squares on everyone's physical location. Every client has a certain area where you can shoot it for it to score a hit. For example, it's not harder to hit Orbb rather than it is to hit TankJr.

On my desktop, however, I'm pulling somewhere around a hundred frames per second and have a ping of five to ten. That makes me happy.

Wireframing is worth it. If you really want it, find it yourself on the Internet. I spent a few hours looking for it.

[This message has been edited by seanyepez (edited 07-21-2000).]

Ca$h68
Banned
Jul 21, 2000, 02:32 AM

The differnce between 30 and 60s FPS is that in a heavy rocket fight, or a viewpoint in a level where you see a large # of polygons, is that instead of dropping from 30 to 8 (which is unplayable), you only drop to 30, and gaming remains fluid and smooth.

Ca$h

Forum Links
Forum Rules