Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > DSL AND OS X: NOT A PRETTY PIC

DSL AND OS X: NOT A PRETTY PIC
ManOnAMac
Sep 20, 2000, 12:17 PM

Granted, I'm about as stupid as they come, but I've managed to garner a working understanding of my Apple Boxes over the years. I installed OS X PB on the second partion of my G4 Cube, properly configured the IP settings (I think), yadda yadda yadda. Now my DSL modem works fine only in OS 9 and only when booting from OS 9. X is just a bust and trying to connect in the Classic environment is about as useful as my old Mac Plus (well, it is holding open my kitchen door......) Any thoughts, ideas, meditations, reflections or insults for me? Thanks.

wild9
Forum Regular
Sep 20, 2000, 03:17 PM

I had this problem in DP4, but my Beta is fine. It think it's a problem with the betas, to be honest with you. Just looking on the net at postings, about 20% of the 'beta testers' out there are having this problem.

What DSL service are you using?

Can you get your e-mail in X?
Compulsive Software Update Button Clickers welcome!

ManOnAMac
Sep 20, 2000, 03:57 PM

Thanks -- yeah, I'm hoping that it is just a beta thing. My DSL service is Bell Atlantic, using a Westwind DSL modem. No, I can't get my email or anything, since I can't even get a connection! This is most vexacious!

Since EBCDIC
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 26, 2000, 05:37 AM

Do you have an "always on" DSL connection or do you have to use some third-party software to make a connection (as do my in-laws with their Baby Bell DSL)?

I have DSL working in San Francisco and a LAN at the office, so it may be something with your modem.

Post a new topic here including the type of DSL box you have; perhaps someone with a similar setup can give you a hand.
Since EBCDIC
Using Macs since they were Lisas.

LiquidPanther
Sep 26, 2000, 09:14 AM

You mighty want to consider using a DSL router like the one from Linksys. I have DSL by Verizon/BellAtlantic and just configured Xpb to use DHCP. I've has no issues what so every.

Lapeyre
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2000, 05:39 PM

Try this :
http://media.helioshealth.net:8080/

It works perfectly for me. Complicated ? No, I never had used any Terminal or Unix System before ! Just follow the instructions and you should be able to use ADSL connexions under OS X.

ed010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2000, 04:01 PM

I thought I had a handle on my mac also , till this Beta. I am lost in UNIX.

I also have bellatlantic DSL. By following the directions from http://media.helioshealth.net:8080/ you will get on line.

The only confusing thing( for me anyway) were the directions from the PPPoE program when it asks for the DNS for your ISP Don�t use the one from the OS 9 TCP/IP set up but use the one MacPoet gives you in its debug window . Mine was 151.198.0.39 . In the OS X TCP/IP panel I left the DNS # blank and just entered bellatlantic.net in the search domains box.
You have to use IE for OS X.

I haven�t been able to set up the mail yet or to get eudora or outlook to work.

ed010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2000, 04:02 PM

I thought I had a handle on my mac also , till this Beta. I am lost in UNIX.

I also have bellatlantic DSL. By following the directions from http://media.helioshealth.net:8080/ you will get on line.

The only confusing thing( for me anyway) were the directions from the PPPoE program when it asks for the DNS for your ISP Don�t use the one from the OS 9 TCP/IP set up but use the one MacPoet gives you in its debug window . Mine was 151.198.0.39 . In the OS X TCP/IP panel I left the DNS # blank and just entered bellatlantic.net in the search domains box.
You have to use IE for OS X.

I haven�t been able to set up the mail yet or to get eudora or outlook to work.

morgan
Oct 8, 2000, 09:14 AM

I couldn't get the roaring penguin version to work consistently (although others have). I gave up and bought the lynksys router for about $100. The best part is, no more stinkin' macpoet (the biggest piece of crap ever written).

ed010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2000, 04:24 PM

Morgan, I also bought a lynksys router . It works fine in OSX . Under OS9 it ran very slow.I played with all the settings, the manual isn't very helpful being for Windows. I am now unable to get it to load any pages at all.
Would you be so kind as to either E-mail me ([email protected] ) or post here how you set up your router.
Thanks

henryhbk
Oct 12, 2000, 05:46 PM

I too bought the linksys router (actually at the suggestion of bellatlantic's tech support) just to get rid of macpoet (I spit on the ground here) and haven't looked back since. It is also much faster as someone noted under OSX. The best part, is now I have multiple macs at home using my DSL line... I highly recommend it. And hey, you also get a 10/100 4-port switch as well (good for when people drop in with powerbooks)

------------------
Henry Feldman
NYU School of
Medicine
Henry Feldman, MD
NYU School of Medicine

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Dec 18, 2000, 10:53 PM

Originally posted by ed010:
Sorry. Doesn't do anything but stall boot time, make Network Pref Panel totally inaccessible, and utterly screw up this iMac/333 running OS X Beta.

Networking configuration (much like in X Server and every DP release so far) is still utterly rooted in the command line. So much for us long-standing Mac users.

Speed

magicmiles
Dec 20, 2000, 06:24 PM

I had this same problem up until a few days ago. The sniglet so I discovered was that name services (or name to IP mapping was not enabled because the DNS service was not identified). Long story short...try the following: open your Network TCP settings, fill in ALL the tcp settings (configure all of them manually). When you get to the "configure DNS manually" part. enter in NOT your DNS on your local network...(that wont do), you need bell atlantic's DNS IP address. If you leave the DNS box blank (you'll get "on-line") but your web browser wont work properly from a name to IP address mapping stand point. However if you type an IP address that you know of a relaible webserver, you'll get to the webserver and sites there in.

Hope that helps.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Dec 21, 2000, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by magicmiles:
I had this same problem up until a few days ago. The sniglet so I discovered was that name services (or name to IP mapping was not enabled because the DNS service was not identified). Long story short...try the following: open your Network TCP settings, fill in ALL the tcp settings (configure all of them manually). When you get to the "configure DNS manually" part. enter in NOT your DNS on your local network...(that wont do), you need bell atlantic's DNS IP address. If you leave the DNS box blank (you'll get "on-line") but your web browser wont work properly from a name to IP address mapping stand point. However if you type an IP address that you know of a relaible webserver, you'll get to the webserver and sites there in.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for the suggestions, but does ANYBODY know how to clear the Network settings in OS X so that i can actually ACCESS the Network setting via the MacOS X UI? Right now it just sits there "thinking" endlessly until i force quit the System Preferences. The only way i have heard of dumping these system preferences is to reinstall the OS. I'd rather not have to go that route.

I can just imagine it's some arcane *nix command that no traditional MacOS user would ever know.

Speed

(lamenting the simple "move this app's preference file to the trash" technique in Classic MacOS)

henryhbk
Dec 26, 2000, 09:33 PM

make sure to update to firmware 1.36 for the linksys ( http://www.linksys.com/download/firmware.asp ). It made my verizon connection much more reliable, fixed some bugs and I got some speedup as well.

------------------
Henry Feldman
NYU School of
Medicine
Henry Feldman, MD
NYU School of Medicine

griffman
Senior User
Dec 29, 2000, 11:46 AM

Speedracer, you could still try the OS X version of trashing the preferences. I can see two files that might be the right ones:

com.apple.NetInfoManager.plist
System Preferences.plist

These both live in your /Users/username/Library/Preferences folder. I would recommend renaming them (instead of trashing them) to something like "System Preferences.bad". Rename them both, then try launching your System Preferences panel again...

G'luck!

-rob.
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

SpeedRacer
Senior User
Jan 4, 2001, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by griffman:
Speedracer, you could still try the OS X version of trashing the preferences. I can see two files that might be the right ones:

com.apple.NetInfoManager.plist
System Preferences.plist

These both live in your /Users/username/Library/Preferences folder. I would recommend renaming them (instead of trashing them) to something like "System Preferences.bad". Rename them both, then try launching your System Preferences panel again...

G'luck!

-rob.
Thanx Rob. I'll give that a shot 2nite and see what comes of it - i need network!

Speed

CHunky_Munkey
Jan 4, 2001, 06:58 PM

I have the "verizon" DSL here in Bucks County. I installed an Asante Firewall/10/100 hub and configured it with the Westell DSL Modem. Its a snap and protects your ports. Then I installed the OS X Beta 2 on an iMac (256Megs/80 gig) and it was easy!

Don't rely on the DSL modem software. Configure a firewall/router (LinkSys, SOHO, ASante...) and be safe

CM

JGH1231
Jan 6, 2001, 10:26 AM

The best routers available for DSL & cable modems come from Macsense. Linksys is an arrogant company offering no support to Mac users for their products.

MacSense routers work great right out of the box. I've used them with OS X easily. Getting rid of MacPoet is benefit enough. Upgrades are simple unlike Linksys.

Rewarding companies like Linksys with your purchases over a company like MacSense is wrong. Don't reward bad companies at the expense of great Mac friendly ones.

griffman
Senior User
Jan 6, 2001, 10:59 AM

>>>Linksys is an arrogant company offering no support to Mac users for their products ... Rewarding companies like Linksys with your purchases over a company like MacSense is wrong. Don't reward bad companies at the expense of great Mac friendly ones.<<<

Sorry, I can't let a slam on a perfectly innocent company just go floating by without saying something...I'm not impartial, though, as I have (and really like) the LinkSys BEFSR41 router).

For the record, I've called LinkSys several times (on their free, 24x7, toll-free tech support line!!), and never once have I been treated arrogantly or with any disrespect because I use a Mac. They are not anti-Mac, they just didn't have much experience with them. Their website now has a link for software that lets Mac users do firmware upgrades, so their Mac support is improving.

Just like MacSense, the Linksys router worked right out of the box, on my Mac, and has continued to work for the past two years. The product doesn't care (or even know, for that matter!) if you're using a Mac, PC, or UNIX box ... it just works, and setup is a snap.

I don't think it's fair to call Linksys a bad company because you disagree with their Mac support policies. They make a good product that does exactly what it's supposed to do, and have always been willing to help me out, even after I let them know I was one of those "Mac users."

Perhaps if they see even more activity from the Mac community, their Mac support will continue to improve. The more companies we have out there supporting us, the better ... I don't like feeling tied to one supplier just because they're the only ones that offer Mac support.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled topic...
Visit macosxhints.com ... a community-built OS X hints and tips site.

JGH1231
Jan 7, 2001, 08:45 PM

I do not take the following statements from the Linksys web site as 'Mac-friendly'.

"Does the Cable/DSL Router support any operating system other than Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, or Windows NT?

Yes, but Linksys does not, at this time, provide technical support for setup, configuration or troubleshooting of any non-Windows operating systems.

Will the Router function in a Mac environment?

Yes, but Linksys does not provide upgrade programs for Macintoshes. However, you may be able to find some software that uses TFTP for your Macs. "

All other concerns being equal, not supporting companies like Macsense will leave with us with nothing more than companies like Linksys.

Too many great companies have left the Mac market. How we spend our money is the fuel that keeps the Mac market viable.

End of soapbox.

RichardET
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 7, 2001, 08:50 PM

I use Linksys with my G4 for DSL. No problems...zero. I wanted to buy Macsense, but at the time, it was at least $100 more than the equivalent Linksys router. it is nonsense that "mac products" should cost more.

Originally posted by JGH1231:
The best routers available for DSL & cable modems come from Macsense. Linksys is an arrogant company offering no support to Mac users for their products.

MacSense routers work great right out of the box. I've used them with OS X easily. Getting rid of MacPoet is benefit enough. Upgrades are simple unlike Linksys.

Rewarding companies like Linksys with your purchases over a company like MacSense is wrong. Don't reward bad companies at the expense of great Mac friendly ones.

Atilla
Jan 9, 2001, 04:36 AM

I also had no trouble with my Linksys router. They don't know anything about Macs but all I had to do was plug my Airport Base Station into the the linksys router and then into my DSL modem.

Throw in one OSX� Airport kext hack and I'm cruisin with OmniWeb out on the deck while the youngins play in the sandbox.

henryhbk
Jan 9, 2001, 10:27 AM

I aggree. Although linksys doesn't "support" the mac, they always answered my questions. Also I don't need them to support the mac (I do just fine myself), I need them to support their box, which they do quite well. The besfr41 worked out of the box as advertised, and once I got the mac tftp client, upgrades were easy. Also since the box is web configured, there is no specific platform anyway... The only reason I bought this box was to get rid of the mac specific POC (macPoet) anyway (although sharing my connection with all my macs is nice too...)

------------------
Henry Feldman
NYU School of
Medicine
Henry Feldman, MD
NYU School of Medicine

staticlife
Apr 4, 2001, 07:10 PM

>>The best routers available for DSL & cable modems come from >>Macsense. Linksys is an arrogant company offering no support to >>Mac users for their products.

The best router will actually be the one YOU invent.

>>MacSense routers work great right out of the box. I've used them >>with OS X easily. Getting rid of MacPoet is benefit enough. >>Upgrades are simple unlike Linksys.

Get your facts straight. Good job!

>>Rewarding companies like Linksys with your purchases over a >>company like MacSense is wrong. Don't reward bad companies at >>the expense of great Mac friendly ones.

Who's rewarding who? Do you incorporate idealistic politics towards every product you've ever bought or owned? NO. (That's a big "N" and a big "O") Impossible. Also, MacSense's router is targeted to the ignorantly "wealthy" Mac population who will buy anything that says "Made for Mac" on it. Yes, when I say "ignorantly" I'm referring to the ever-so-often times we have caught ourselves being driven into the monopoly of products which target high-spending Mac users who will purchase anything anti-PC. I'm guilty and you're guilty.

It's funny, I look around my studio and I own about 80% of PC devices, volumes, periphials, hardware, etc. -- all meant for use on a PC and are not "Made for Mac" but they all work great on my Macs.

My suggestion to you is to learn first how to operate your Mac, then to learn about how to optimize it's performance and take advantage of how PC friendly it actually is (which is the exact opposite of most Windows PC's).

We so easily continue to bash our "counterparts" (hehe) and forget about the burst of today's advanced technology and how we (Mac users) got to where we are. When I see someone who completely bashes PC users (still) I laugh and laugh again.

Don't embarrass yourself -- ANYMORE!

Computers rule....

...period.

Forum Links
Forum Rules