Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > How to do I hide the files?

How to do I hide the files?
daftpig
Forum Regular
Nov 2, 2001, 09:58 AM

After I installed the Xeno theme, I noticed that all the previously hidden files appeared on the Finder.

How can I hide them all back? Any command through the Terminal?

Thanks.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2001, 04:45 PM

There is a Terminal command that will do it, but I can't remember exactly what it is. :o
Instead, you can download TinkerTool, a freeware utility that can turn viewing invisible files on and off. It can also change your system fonts for you, and lots of other neat tricks. You can find it at versiontracker.com.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

JBL
Nov 3, 2001, 03:11 AM

I may have some of the details wrong here but I believe the finder hides files if either their name begins with a . (that is the normal unix thing) or if they appear in a file called ".hidden". My guess is that your .hidden file got trashed. If so, TinkerTool isn't going to help, but you can just create another .hidden file by creating a text file with the names of all the files you want to hide (one per line) and naming it ".hidden".

Forum Links
Forum Rules