Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Speeddisk killed my OS X

Speeddisk killed my OS X
alexforsythe24
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2001, 12:19 PM

Well, I recently optimized my disk with Speeddisk v.6 from the Norton Systemworks CD. I booted as instructed from the disk at used speeddisk to optimize.
When I returned to OSX none of my applications would launch. They would just bounce forever. Then I would eventually get a spinning beachball. Nothing worked to restore (force quits, reboots, Drive 10, etc.) Drive 10 reported a problem with the file structure but couldn't fix it.
So, I reformatted, reinstalled clean, and tried to optimize again.
Same thing.
The new install of OS X worked perfectly until I optimized with Speeddisk again. Looks like another reinstall will be necessary.

Anyone else run across this problem?

grannysmith
Dec 10, 2001, 12:25 PM

thank you for reporting on that. i thought about trying SpeedDisk - but now i will not try this...

btw. i've another problem using DiskDoctor. on two of my partitions the program halts and my HardDisk makes some curious noise. i'm afraid i have a hardware error on that disk? could this be? or is it a software-error? OS X and everything worked just fine with that HD.

greets
grannysmith

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2001, 11:21 PM

I used Speed Disk on my X partition just yesterday...no problem at all afterwards.

I did not use the Norton CD though - I have OS 9 on a separate partition and use Speed Disk from there...it is also the lastest rev (6.03), not what's on the cd...maybe that makes a difference........
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

malvolio
Professional Poster
Dec 13, 2001, 03:43 PM

I have used Disk Doctor and Speed Disk (ver. 6) repeatedly since OS 10.0, with no ill effects. However, there are certain factors to keep in mind.
I have never used Disk Doctor to check files, always skipping that test. And I use a custom OS X Speed Disk profile. And after running Disk Doctor and Speed Disk, I always wrap thing up by running Alsoft DiskWarrior.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: malvolio ]
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

MattCe
Dec 13, 2001, 06:18 PM

Originally posted by alexforsythe24:
<STRONG>When I returned to OSX none of my applications would launch. They would just bounce forever. Then I would eventually get a spinning beachball. Nothing worked to restore (force quits, reboots, Drive 10, etc.) Drive 10 reported a problem with the file structure but couldn't fix it.
So, I ......
Anyone else run across this problem?</STRONG>
Alex Forsythe... that name sounds very familiar.. I might know you. Anyway, seems you have run into the "Carbon Applications Set To Autolaunch" bug that Apple acknowledged:

http://kbase.info.apple.com/cgi-bin/...=id&val=106603

Matt Centurion

Forum Links
Forum Rules