Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > installing itunes 2.0.3

installing itunes 2.0.3
ed010
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 28, 2002, 11:21 PM

I feel like a fool.
I downloaded the new itunes file , nph-itunes.hqx , to my desktop but I don't know what to do with it.
Double clicking it does nothing.
Stuffit won't expand it.
What am I missing?

cpac
Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2002, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by ed010:
<STRONG>I feel like a fool.
I downloaded the new itunes file , nph-itunes.hqx , to my desktop but I don't know what to do with it.
Double clicking it does nothing.
Stuffit won't expand it.
What am I missing? </STRONG>
Stuffit should expand .hqx files.

Try dragging the file on to the stuffit program. If it still doesn't work the file you downloaded may be corrupt. Trash it and try again.

cpac
cpac

ed010  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2002, 12:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cpac:
[QB]

Stuffit should expand .hqx files.
cpac:
I was trying to open an archive when I should have been decoding the file. The new version 6.5 which I just downloaded is different from what I am used to . Drag and drop didn't work.
I did decode it and now I have a file called " iTunes203.dmg " which when I open it says " There is no application available to open the document "
I figured out to use disk copy to mount the image. Great , except the files contained in mounted image called "iTunes2.pkg " contain no installer and I am back to "There is no application "senario again
Please give me further direction.

OS 9 was so much easier for me.

[ 01-28-2002: Message edited by: ed010 ]

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: ed010 ]

Wevah
Senior User
Jan 29, 2002, 01:02 AM

.dmg files are disk images; open them with DiskCopy.
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

ed010  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2002, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by Wevah:
<STRONG>.dmg files are disk images; open them with DiskCopy.</STRONG>
Thanks again.
I figured that out but now I am back to " No Application" for the contents of the mounted image
I can't seem to locate a application in the "iTunes2.pkg" folder
do I need to expand this further?
Ed

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 29, 2002, 03:22 AM

Just double click the iTunes.pkg icon. The Mac OS X Installer will then install iTunes.

If double clicking does nothing try dragging the iTunes.pkg onto the Installer application (it's in the Utilities folder inside the Applications folder).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

ed010  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 29, 2002, 07:12 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Developer:
[QB]Just double click the iTunes.pkg icon. The Mac OS X Installer will then install iTunes.

Thanks , I had to drag it into the installer application. It then worked fine. I had moved utilities out of the applications folder on OS X. Which is why I am assuming double clicking the .PKG file didn't start the installer.

Doesn't it seem complicated tohave to go thru 3 processes (manually) to install a new application -unstuff , mount , find and run installer. I would have thought they should all work by double clicking the download. Perhaps in OS X applications are location sensitive?

In the past I had a separate hard drive that I stored my applications and utilities on so they were accessible by whichever OS I was using.This is apparently not the scheme Apple wants you to follow under OS X. I am not sure I like this. It is , for me, much easier to organize and backup when applications , systems and documents are kept on on separate partitions.
Thanks for the help. I have a lot to learn about the idiosyncrasies of X

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: ed010 ]

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2002, 07:31 AM

[quote]Originally posted by ed010:
<STRONG>
Originally posted by Developer:
[QB]I had moved utilities out of the applications folder on OS X. Which is why I am assuming double clicking the .PKG file didn't start the installer.

Doesn't it seem complicated tohave to go thru 3 processes (manually) to install a new application -unstuff , mount , find and run installer. I would have thought they should all work by double clicking the download. Perhaps in OS X applications are location sensitive?</STRONG>
most definitely so. This is also why Stuffit Expander won't launch on double-click.

Normally, when you download something, it will decode, unstuff, and mount - all automatically. Installation is then just a simple drag and drop or a double-click on an installer package. Couldn't be much simpler.

Mac OS X is path-dependent for this kind of stuff (as for automatic software updates). Supposedly this is to be fixed, so that people can restructure their Application folders, but for now, it really is best to just leave the pre-installed apps where they are.

-chris.

Forum Links
Forum Rules