Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > iMac that displays two icons when mounting CDs

iMac that displays two icons when mounting CDs
iRob
Nov 12, 1999, 04:58 PM

I just got my iMac SE. I love the machine. There is something wierd that happens. If I put in a CD like Warcraft that has audio on it as well I actually get two icons on my desktop. On eof the icons is the Warcraft icon. The other is a generic audio icon. The only way that the CD will eject is if I drag both icons to the trash. It is not a hassle, but I am curious.

Ster
Nov 12, 1999, 07:35 PM

hi,
the mac is reading the two partitions, mac data and cd audio, seperately
-ster

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 12, 1999, 08:36 PM

Are you using Mac OS 9? I know that OS 9 does this for a lot of CDs, including enhanced CDs.

I've never heard of this happening under Mac OS 8.6, although it could be something with the new iMacs.

In any case, as you realized yourself, it's not really a problem or a bug.

MikeD
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 1999, 08:46 PM

Yeah it does this for me too.. Must be the hybrid OS... It happens to me when I play playstation games.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

acidchicken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 1999, 04:07 AM

Yeah my DV does this too. no big deal. Enhanced CD's I know put up two icons. No big deal just click on the audio icon to listen to audio and the other icon for multimedia then drag each to the trash to eject the disc.
WWF rules

iRob
Nov 29, 1999, 11:17 AM

Do any of you that experience this problem have the Connectix product Virtual Playstation? I do have it, and I am running Mac OS 8.6.

Forum Links
Forum Rules