Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > You think Steve Jobs reads MacNN?

You think Steve Jobs reads MacNN? (Page 2)
Phanguye
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2002, 02:51 AM

steve might not be the greatest tech guy... but he is imo a maketing genius

Cipher13
Jan 5, 2002, 03:00 AM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
<STRONG>steve might not be the greatest tech guy... but he is imo a maketing genius</STRONG>
The problem is that fact that he doesn't recognise that. He simply thinks he is a genius in every respect. And hey, he may be; but he makes computers for HIM with no logical consideration of his customers.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 03:14 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>The problem is that fact that he doesn't recognise that. He simply thinks he is a genius in every respect. And hey, he may be; but he makes computers for HIM with no logical consideration of his customers.</STRONG>
Oh, you don't like his ego, do you?

FYI, he's one of my greatest role model. Ego may be not be good but it's all about politic

Apple Pro Underwear  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 05:58 AM

i have a slight ego.

It is not bloated but combined with self confidence and desire to suceed, i believe i am a very talented designer compared to others.

in fact, i think that i am in some ways more sucessful than others who are more talented because i have a ability to talk with people and propmote myself when necessary. When needed i will outright say i am the best person for this project and i should take charge. not everybody can do this. they simply could not utter those words.

In my opinion it takes a big balls to run Apple like it should, and innovate the way it does. Goof for you steve. I hope you read this.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 07:13 AM

Go Pant Boy! I'm with you. Stand aside mediocrity!

&lt;Mediocrity laughs and stays firmly entrenched&gt;

I've worked with someone who's job was to read the papers, magazines and web sites searching for mention of &lt;Insert Company Name Here&gt;, cut them out and arrange them neatly. Then she would take the "file" to meetings for discussion. I'm sure someone in Marketing at Apple does the same thing. Perception is important and as you are all aware, Apple rides the wave of public sentiment.

If you all start calling for Steve's head on a plate he will hear about it, sharpish.

I am also sure he reads AppleInsider and MacNN around Expo time. It must be like watching your children guessing their Christmas presents. It must also be slightly unnerving when they get over-inflated ideas.

So when is my Quad G5 Digital Hub getting here then, eh?

kingalpaca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2002, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by Dogma:
<STRONG>

How's about a link? I like weird stuff.</STRONG>
Ah well. I'm still sure that 'Do You See' first originated from Digi. Anyway, first place you'll want to check is page 480 of teletext on Channel 4. That is Digitiser itself. It was updated daily; now every two days. As long as you don't mind sarcasm and flippancy it's pretty reasonable. As it's teletext, they made much use of basic pixel graphics and the reveal button (hence the snakes - not too difficult to draw.) The guy who does it - Mr Biffo aka. Paul Rose (I think)- also does cartoons on other pages. Probably the highlight would be the weekly columns by various outside people. Violet Berlin (presents some video game show on Bravo, used to do Bad Influence, ooh way back, '93 ish) and Stuart Campbell (writes for Edge) is another. The best ones used to be done by Tony Mott, who edited Edge - if you've read it you'll get a feeling for how he writes; if not I recommend you pick up a copy. Mainly focussed on video games but they do quite like their Macs.

Right, various links. Official site is here but is pretty pathetic. Better are the fan pages, but most haven't been updated in a while - obscure FAQ here. I'm sure there's a site called Super Page 49 or something, but I can't find it ..wait...here is its linkspage. Best thing to do is google it and see what else comes up. They also have a irc chats and an alt.digitiser group. However, the best thing to do is just read Digi itself...5 minutes a day for some interesting info and a few laughs.

Do You See? is their answer to many of the letters that they get ie. No, it is not coming out today - Nintendo don't like you. Do you see? Works quite well as a sort of humourous put down, and if you go to some of the UK forums, such as PC Gamer (yes, I use a PC - so shoot me ) it used a fair whack, with thanks to Digi. Anyway, hope this helps.

ka
Damn straight

Cipher13
Jan 5, 2002, 09:40 AM

Well I'm afraid, with Steve, as it may also be with you, this ego blinds him from seeing simple things - like the fact that he is NOT all that.

I'm sure this ego of yours is the same; deludes you without you ever realising it.

Metzen
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2002, 09:56 AM

<STRONG>Well I'm afraid, with Steve, as it may also be with you, this ego blinds him from seeing simple things - like the fact that he is NOT all that.

I'm sure this ego of yours is the same; deludes you without you ever realising it.</STRONG>
And that's the difference between someone getting a job because they tell their employer that they are the best for the job, and someone whose too modest to speak up.

Ego's aren't all bad, IMHO, as long as you have some substance behind it.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
E. F. Schumacher

Xtraz
Forum Regular
Jan 5, 2002, 11:11 AM

IMO you should get rid of the H in your IMHO as evidence for substance behind what you're saying...

Glasspusher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2002, 11:40 AM

For me:

Steve Jobs is someone with decent technical knowledge and an excellent ability to see "the next big thing". His years away from Apple have seasoned him as a manager and on how to run a big company, or to get a team together than can run a big company. I'm sure on a regular basis he pisses people who work for him off, but he has had a knack for assembling groups of great people together and letting them create great things.
In the 25 years Apple has been around, nobody has come close to being a better CEO for the company. Is he perfect? Hardly! Do I have lots of suggestions and disagreements with what he's done? Sure. He also listens to feedback a lot better these days- witness the MacOS X feedback page and how many of the top complaints in earlier versions got addressed.

Contrast this with Bill Gates, whom I feel has decent technical knowledge and an excellent business sense and won't back down even if you show up with a steamroller. Did this very well even when M$ was small. Does a great job of catering to the lowest common denominator and ripping off/undercutting/bullying whomever he sees has something that he'd like. In the process, has created something that is "good enough" for 90% of the people out there, or they just don't know better things are out there. Without other ideas to rip off, M$ would lead like they had a bag over their head.

I'll take Steve over anyone in the current field these days.

GnOm
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2002, 11:57 AM

<STRONG>but he makes computers for HIM with no logical consideration of his customers.</STRONG>

that�s not a bad thing IMO, you can�t please everybody and if you start to try you will end up pleasing no one.
It�s the same with making music, all the great bands (I�m not talking Britney Spears or NewKidsOnTheBlock type of bands) made or are still making the music they like, no matter if it sells a million or just a few thousands.
So for me that is quite a good sign. (I still want my G5/1.4GHz now dammit )

bye.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 12:23 PM

<STRONG> he makes computers for HIM with no logical consideration of his customers.</STRONG>
cipher,

sorry dude. you know this can't be true.

you can't make a sucessful product without thinking of your customers first.

Steve wouldn't be receiving too many jets if he made a crappy computer.

Ivan
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2002, 12:30 PM

I respect Steve Jobs more than anyone else. Look what this man has done, and he also runs Pixar. How busy do you think he is. I bet not a single one of you could do what this man is doing, I know I can't. I'm a business owner and still struggling to hit the $100,000 a year mark. I'll make it, but it'll be alot of work.

itistoday
Professional Poster
Jan 5, 2002, 02:27 PM

<STRONG>Well I'm afraid, with Steve, as it may also be with you, this ego blinds him from seeing simple things - like the fact that he is NOT all that.

I'm sure this ego of yours is the same; deludes you without you ever realising it.</STRONG>
Oooo... i'm sensing bad karma between you and steve, either you know him personally, or you don't know what your talking about. i think its the second one.

don't diss the CEO of the company that this entire web site is about. if you remember, when steve was kicked, things went to sh*t, but now that he's back, i'd say things are starting to get a whole lot better. you've been watching way too much Pirate's of Silicon Valley. things have changed.

Addicted to MacNN
Jan 5, 2002, 07:54 PM

Originally posted by itistoday:
<STRONG>when steve was kicked, things went to sh*t, but now that he's back, i'd say things are starting to get a whole lot better.</STRONG>
imagine if he wasn't here. who would replace stevie -J?

when he left and it was clear his replacements were whack...i thought apple would go out of business.

quick question: apple can never be taken over by microsoft or anybody else because it would break monopoly laws imposed by the federal government right?

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jan 5, 2002, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Apple Pro Underwear:
<STRONG>
imagine if he wasn't here. who would replace stevie -J?
</STRONG>
Me of course

Forum Links
Forum Rules