Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > I like Apple but...

I like Apple but...
fobside
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 09:38 PM

First off, I would like to say that I love the products Apple makes. They're beautiful and powerful. Now if they could only get them to work!

I own a Ti PowerBook. After only owning it for a couple weeks, I had to send it into Apple because I got a green line across the screen that wouldn't go away. The battery not sitting well in the case was fixed as well. This was my first Apple and even though I love it, I was quite disappointed with having to send it back into Apple.

The second Apple hardware I bought was an iPod. Within two weeks of buying it, the thing died. I took it to the store where I bought it and within a week I got another one. It was completely replaced. So a brand new iPod. I thought, this is great. I had no scratches on it or anything. A week later, which is today, the iPod died again!

Perhaps it's just me and I have the worst luck ever, but this is ridiculous! Is it too much to expect a product that works and continues to work?

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 09:41 PM

You've had bad luck. The only Apple products that have ever, repeat EVER crapped out on me were a keyboard and mouse.

I've owned 5 Apple computer.s
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2002, 09:41 PM

I personally have never had a problem with an apple product, I've bought a G4, two iMacs, and an iPod, and all the hardware is still perfect. I guess your just unlucky

fulmer
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2002, 09:45 PM

I think you and kh might have the worst luck ever w/ apple products. I've had a wallstreet powerbook (292mhz, bought Aug. 1998) which to this day runs perfectly. the factory RAM (32 megs under the processor card) went bad last year but was a cinch to pull out (well, the campus tech helped, and luckily I had a 256 MB module in the top slot). I also have a superdrive imac that runs like a champ, and my tibook 667/48G/512RAM works great too! And has been since November! My brother has the same model tibook and it works just as nicely. Sorry you've been shafted with the lemons. hang in there and you're bound to hit a good streak soon.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 09:51 PM

you, KH, cheerios and Jen (who we will be living with this coming year). My family has had some 9 macs over the years and the only problem EVER was a HD dying after a few years.
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 09:51 PM

thats what i figured the responses id get. just means i got screwed over. well, tomorrow i am going to ***** at apple til i get something out of them.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 09:52 PM

No problems here.

dillerX
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2002, 10:36 PM

I have owned 6 Apple computers. All of which still function in various households in my family. I had one Apple monitor go down, that is about it.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

simonjames
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 10:43 PM

you're just unlucky - though not uncommon. My original plus still works after over 17 years and I've never had a problem with my current tower (touch wood). But I did have 2 DOA LC620s - 1 right after the other. I was so pissed with Apple. Almost swore never to buy another again.

Most of Apple's products are of the highest quality - way better than the average PC.
this sig intentionally left blank

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by simonjames:
<STRONG>Most of Apple's products are of the highest quality - way better than the average PC.</STRONG>
average PC, yes. dell is very good though. we get a new dell in almost every day at work. dell is even better at apple with dealing with computers under warranty but the fact still remains, no one should have a piece of hardware crap out on them for a long time.

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 29, 2002, 11:25 PM

Originally posted by fobside:
<STRONG>

average PC, yes. dell is very good though. we get a new dell in almost every day at work. dell is even better at apple with dealing with computers under warranty but the fact still remains, no one should have a piece of hardware crap out on them for a long time.</STRONG>
I would debate that, but you are right Dell can be faster, if they feel like taking you up on that....
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2002, 11:45 PM

2 DOA iMac DVs.
1 iPod that "crapped out" after less than a week.

Currently running a G4 iMac and replacement iPod and loving both.

Sometimes you get the bear. Sometimes the bear gets you. I think every company has its share of off-tolerance machines. Guess it comes down to dumb luck as to whether you'll end up with one.

That being said, I probably give Apple more slack than I would another company. We Mac-users are pretty cultish, at times.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 12:16 PM

ok im pretty upset. i got off the phone with apple and in their nice customer support language they told me basically i have to deal with it. if my ipod breaks every other week, im just going to have to send it in every other week. is this the kind of quality im supposed to expect from apple?

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 12:17 PM

does anyone have an email address i can reach some customer relations person at so i can complain some more? im pretty upset. grrrr! i dont think im going to buy apple for a long time...pieces of crap.

hayesk
Apr 30, 2002, 12:47 PM

<STRONG>does anyone have an email address i can reach some customer relations person at so i can complain some more? im pretty upset. grrrr! i dont think im going to buy apple for a long time...pieces of crap.</STRONG>
I would speak with a supervisor on the phone. eMail can too easily be ignored, or worse, they'll send you back a canned response making you even angrier.

How many iPods has it been? Keep getting it replaced, but if the fourth one fails on you, you really have to wonder how anyone could have such bad luck. You aren't storing it next to a huge magnet e.g. beside a big speaker), are you?

Good luck.

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:
<STRONG>

I would speak with a supervisor on the phone. eMail can too easily be ignored, or worse, they'll send you back a canned response making you even angrier.

How many iPods has it been? Keep getting it replaced, but if the fourth one fails on you, you really have to wonder how anyone could have such bad luck. You aren't storing it next to a huge magnet e.g. beside a big speaker), are you?

Good luck.</STRONG>

i called them already this morning. i basically got a "you have to deal with it" response. ill keep "breaking" them and theyll keep replacing them as long as it is under warranty. unless my left thigh is a giant magnet, i havent been using it next to a big magnet.

Paco500
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 01:51 PM

I think it's you- you have some bad karma somewhere. I have owned:

Unless specifically noted- I had no problems.

Desktops:

512k- Was modified with an internal "HyperDrive," a 10 MB HD that ran off the floppy controller. The HD failed after 2.5 years of use and I gave the computer to my college's support dept to play with.
LC- Lasted 3 years till the MB blew in a lightning storm. Replace the MB a year later and gave it to my mom- she used it for a year or so and gave it to someone else.
IIsi- Bought it used to replace the LC, used for 6 months or so and gave it to my brother--&gt; mother--&gt; friend.
IIci- Replaced si- brother-&gt; mother-&gt; freind chain again
Classic- Took in trade for work, still use it for CallerID, X-10.
Color Classic- Bought off ebay to replace Classic, currently undergoing upgrades.
Performa 638- Replaced IIci- still in use today as a TV (has tuner card & remote)
Performa 6360- Got in trade recently. Thinking about using it's guts in the Color Classic.
6100- Recently aquired to run as an MP3 server
7100- Replaced 638 as main box, Brother-&gt; Mother-&gt; friend.
PowerBase 240- Replaced 7100, power supply dided and replaced under warranty. Still in use at my brother's house w/ PPC Linux as a router.
7500- Replaced PowerBase, ended-up giving it to a friend a few years ago
Beige G3- Replaced 7500, brother-&gt;mother-&gt;friend
B&W G3- Replaced Beige G3- sold it last year
G4 400- Replaced B&W- sold it to buy 450
G4 450- Replaced 400- sold it last year
G4 733 (digital audio)- Typing on it now- no problems.

Laptops

165c- Sold to buy 540
540c- Replaced 165, eventaully gave it to my aunt who uses it today
Duo 280- Got in exchange for some work i did, never took a shine to it and sold it last year for maybe $5 at a swap meet- but it still worked like a champ.
5300- Despite it's reputaion as the worst piece of crap Apple ever produced, I never had any problems with it. Sold it last year at swap meet in working condition.
1400- Great computer- gave it to a freind last year and he still uses it daily.
2400- I loved this thing, but I didn't need it. Sold it last year with the intention of replacing it with an iBook, but haven't had the funds yet.
Wallstreet 300- A workhorse- but heavy, sold it to buy Pismo
Pimso 500- A fine computer, but sold it last year to buy iBook, which I never bought.

Other
Orginal MP- Loved this thing to death. Gave it to my brother who got it stolen.
MP 120- Replaced Orginal MP. Finally sold it ~2 years ago. Made me sad. One day I will get a 2100.
~10 Apple Monitors- From 12" color that came with my LC to the New ADC CRT (old, but unopened stock at CompUSA) I just bought a few weeks ago. Had one 17" multiscan and one 15" multiscan die on me, both after years ot loyal service.
ImageWriter- Worked great, gave it away.
StyleWriter I & II- Bought SW I with LC and it served me for 3 years, then gave it to my mom. Still have the SW II in working condition.
Several Laserwriters- Had to replace the fuser in a Personal LW- got it cheap. Never had any other problems.
iSub- Works great in 9, in X? not so good.
iPod- LOVE IT- no problems.

This is the first time I've compiled this list- and it scares me a bit. I may have a problem. Over the years I've had quite a few PC's and on NeXT Station as well. The only computer I've ever had major problems with was a homebuilt PC, and most of those issues were my fault.

So what I'm saying is Apple's been good to me. I feel for you and your situation- but try to keep it in perspective. Apple's not perfect, but consider the alternatives.

Paco

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 30, 2002, 02:07 PM

<STRONG>

i called them already this morning. i basically got a "you have to deal with it" response. ill keep "breaking" them and theyll keep replacing them as long as it is under warranty. unless my left thigh is a giant magnet, i havent been using it next to a big magnet.</STRONG>
Hm. One second. [looks up an entry in a database] Oh. Well, there ya go. Project 81-404/225, Subject 38. Relevant entry: "Success with latest experiment. Subject's left thigh has been replaced with a powerful polymer-based magnet. No ill effects observed. Subject unaware of experiment. Will continue to monitor."

There it is, in black & white. Your left thigh is, in fact, a giant magnet.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 02:24 PM

hehe...so no one has an email address?

ringo
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 02:30 PM

Can't speak for Apple, but most large businesses respond with more attention when you start complaining to people that are higher on the food chain.

Try to find out who is Apple's Director of Customer Care, Director of Public Relations, VP of Marketing, etc...Call switchboard and ask to be connected to them (Ask by name, not position)...talk your way past their Administrative Assistant...then you'll get the kind of attention you're looking for.

fobside  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2002, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
<STRONG>Can't speak for Apple, but most large businesses respond with more attention when you start complaining to people that are higher on the food chain.

Try to find out who is Apple's Director of Customer Care, Director of Public Relations, VP of Marketing, etc...Call switchboard and ask to be connected to them (Ask by name, not position)...talk your way past their Administrative Assistant...then you'll get the kind of attention you're looking for.</STRONG>
i talked to a few supervisors. didnt get me anywhere...

ringo
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 02:39 PM

<STRONG>

i talked to a few supervisors. didnt get me anywhere... </STRONG>
Not nearly high enough...

(Typically) employees report to supervisors report to managers report to associate directors report to directors report to vice presidents report to presidents report to Exec Officers.

You need at least director before you get anything but the cold sholder. The trick is to act sane (and like a non-customer) until you get one of your targets on the phone.

KellyHogan
Banned
Location: The Breakaway Democratic Banana Republic of Jakichanistan.
Apr 30, 2002, 02:39 PM

Boom and Bust!

I have had terrible experience with Apple products and generally they do suffer from a lack of quality control because Apple rushes them to the market knowing that it only has 5% of the market and no Mac competitors. But I try to keep the faith. They fixed my Ti-Book and my iMac and there have been no problems apart from spinning wheels since.

But if my iPod dies after 90 days I won't buy Apple again. A hard disc based product should have a 1-3 year warranty by law. I can't imagine any hard drives selling with only 90 days warranty.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2002, 03:20 PM

Actually the hard drives do have warranties but you'll have to take toshiba up on that one....

Now, I agree, apple makes crappy quality products, so far I've had several machines and have problems with a few, my brother's imac, as I noticed the other day, has a small screen tilt, my cinema display looks like a giant cd after being in the washing machine (cold water) with a bunch of pairs of jeans (the plastic is scratched to hell) and I can't even figure out how since it's sat on my desk untouched since the day I bought it....

My iSub has two cracks in the center thing near that rubber ring, my speakers have huge mold lines, the g4 has cracks that are getting huge because apple did a lousy job on the screws (one of the handles has a screw that was so overtightened it was stripped), my g4 had a defective motherboard, my g4's pro mouse is going on and off every now and then, the g4 still has those damn mold lines on the front, the list goes on.

Luckily I havent had any problems with any of my other machines, i loosened the screws on the dp1ghz and don't wear jewlery when using any of the tibooks (got the 500 in an auction, the 667 a day ago, and saw the 800 in the apple store yesterday afternoon and was able to get one)

All great machines otherwise, but OS X still runs like a ***** crashing every time USB does this, or lagging when I have airport on, etc, etc, etc.
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

BoarderX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2002, 01:25 AM

<STRONG>hehe...so no one has an email address?</STRONG>
Not to sound uncompassionate, but what do you expect them to say? (Realistically, what would like to have happen?)

Forum Links
Forum Rules