Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > @Home dying Friday?

@Home dying Friday?
starman
Clinically Insane
Nov 28, 2001, 04:47 PM

So what's all this doom and gloom about losing @Home Friday? My local provider, Comcast, announced in October that everything was hunky-dory. Now we get this annoucement that we could lose it all on Friday!

Anyone try DirecTV DSL?

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

nealconner
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2001, 05:33 PM

I have @Home and I have not heard anything from Comcast. I think I'll call them soon.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2001, 05:35 PM

I have Cox, and they said they are leaving @home. They never said when, but they are going to pick up another provider for all their customers. I've been having this cable modem since February of 1999, and I sure as hell am not giving it up now.
B&W G3/300 OS X 10.3 Server
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3
Next computer G5/3.X Ghz OS X 10.x.x

ac2c
Nov 28, 2001, 06:06 PM

I have AT&T@Home and AT&T has said that they will have a plan if the judge pulls the plug Friday, but so far they sure haven't let us consumers know what it is. I do know that if I lose my cable for any length of time, considering how much I have and do pay for it, I will be fileing a class action suit. I am really tired of large companies not following thru for their loyal customers. Considering that I have a contract with AT&T for the service - any loss of service will cost them.
It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you!

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2001, 06:09 PM

That's OK, @Home as a service sucks. I just hope they don't drop out from under my feet. They're better than dialup by a few orders of magnitude.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2001, 07:32 PM

Well I hope Cox has a plan. I know they haven't let their consumers know anything except they were dropping @home. I don't care who picks us up, well except for AOHELL, as long as service doesn't get disrupted. Hopefully the next provider will have better dns and email servers as @home's can be horrible at times.
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3

Justin Belisle
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 09:41 PM

I have Rogers@Home and Rogers is in the process of dumping @Home. They are also dumping the @home email domain and are adopting a seperate network.
Justin Belisle
[email protected]

Bockie
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2001, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by jguidroz:
<STRONG>Well I hope Cox has a plan. I know they haven't let their consumers know anything except they were dropping @home. I don't care who picks us up...</STRONG>
Actually I read that Cox will be its own ISP: http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-7878856.html
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2001, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by Bockie:
<STRONG>

Actually I read that Cox will be its own ISP: http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1004-200-7878856.html</STRONG>
Yeah, Cox sent out an email this morning to all it's customers talking about the whole @home situation. In it they said they were going to set up their own isp, but didn't say if it was going to be ready for tomorrow!

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: jguidroz ]
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 29, 2001, 08:44 AM

doooogggg they gonna take our shiiiiiiiiittt.....

yeah, uhm, comcast knows about as much as we do. Which is just about jack shite. I guess we'll all find out tomorrow...

comcasts statement

scottiB
Professional Poster
Nov 29, 2001, 12:40 PM

I received the Comcast email, which posted godzookie2k's link, yesterday. Comcast's "Connection Backup Program" is a link to NetZero's homepage--what a program. Dipshits.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 29, 2001, 01:53 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>I received the Comcast email, which posted godzookie2k's link, yesterday. Comcast's "Connection Backup Program" is a link to NetZero's homepage--what a program. Dipshits. </STRONG>
Cox said to go download netzero too. What a bunch of crap.
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3

dillerX
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2001, 05:29 PM

With a wave of his hand Judge Thomas Carlson made Excite@Home go *POOF*

Article

I suppose this will delay Charter from starting service in my area.
I tried to sig-spam the forums.
ADVANTAGE Motorsports Marketing, Inc. • speedXdesign, Inc.

Bockie
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2001, 05:49 PM

Here's another article:

CBS Marketwatch

They say it could end at 3am EST!!!

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2001, 06:43 PM

Well, it's 5:48 PM on Judgement day, and I'm still online using Comcast. I just hope this doesn't change. No word from Comcast. Typical.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 30, 2001, 06:48 PM

I got an email from Comcast.

"
Dear Comcast @Home Customer,

As you may know, Excite@Home, the Internet service provider for Comcast @Home, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection at the end of September 2001. During this process, we are committed to keeping you informed about any new developments and to providing you with the best high-speed Internet service.

This month, Excite@Home petitioned the Bankruptcy Court for permission to terminate agreements with its cable affiliates - including Comcast, Cox and AT&T - on November 30, 2001. If the Court grants Excite@Home's request, there could be a temporary disruption in the services Excite provides to the more than four million customers served by its North American affiliates.

Please be assured that we value your business and are doing everything possible to ensure that there will be no interruption of your Comcast @Home service. Additionally, we have taken the following steps to minimize any inconvenience should a temporary service disruption occur as a result of the Court's ruling:

* Toll-free Customer Information Hotline (1-888-433-6963): you can call in for the latest updates as we work to quickly resolve any issues.
* Web Site Message Center at www.comcastonline.com/info.htm: we will provide online updates and an FAQ section to answer your questions.
* Automatic Account Credits: we will credit your account automatically, so you will be properly reimbursed for any time you are without service.

We also have been working to develop a Comcast-managed network that will provide you the always-on cable-powered, high-speed Internet service you've come to enjoy. We will make this new service available as quickly as possible and will provide you with more details in future correspondence.

Five years ago, Comcast became one of the first cable companies to offer customers high-speed Internet service. We remain committed to providing you with high quality service both now and in the future and thank you for choosing Comcast.

Sincerely,

David Juliano
Sr. Vice President & General Manager

COMCAST @HOME FAQS

How can I connect to the Internet if my service is interrupted?
---------------------------------------------------------------
We recommend that you take advantage of Comcast's Connection Backup Program to obtain free dial-up and e-mail service as a temporary alternative. Visit www.comcastonline.com/info.htm today to sign up for service. (This service requires that you have a phone modem.)

What will happen to my personal Web page ?
------------------------------------------
As a safety precaution, you should always backup your personal Web page to a CD or hard drive. For detailed instructions, please visit www.comcastonline.com/info.htm.

What should I be doing right now?
---------------------------------
1. Back up your personal Web page.
2. Check your @Home e-mail daily. Opened messages will be saved automatically to your hard drive.
3. Take advantage of Comcast's Connection Backup Program.

What will happen to any e-mail sent to me if my service is interrupted?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
We are hopeful that Excite@Home would store and hold your @Home e-mail until the service is restored. However, we cannot guarantee that this will happen as Excite@Home controls the e-mail servers.

What should I do with my Comcast cable modem?
---------------------------------------------
In the unlikely event of a service interruption, you should leave your modem connected to your computer until service is restored. If you lease your modem from Comcast, we would automatically issue a credit for both service and equipment rental during any service interruption.

What should I do if there is a temporary service interruption?
--------------------------------------------------------------
1. Call the Comcast toll-free hotline at 1-888-433-6963 for regular status updates.
2. Connect to the Web through Comcast's Connection Backup Program and visit www.comcastonline.com/info.htm for Web updates.

"

edit: Their "backup" service is Juno/Netzero. 10 hours a month, only if you have Windows 95 or 98.
&lt;sarcasm&gt; How nice. &lt;/sarcasm&gt;

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: iNub ]

nealconner
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2001, 07:11 PM

I have gotten nothing from Comcast.

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2001, 07:44 PM

Excite@Home has court permission to shutdown network as soon as tonight. Comcast says no planned outage. Talks continuing.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2001, 08:25 PM

Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Bockie
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2001, 10:24 PM

Cox is directing customers to go here: http://www.cox.com/PressRoom/[email protected]

starman  (op)
Clinically Insane
Nov 30, 2001, 11:07 PM

That Cox site is the same drivel we're getting from Comcast.

I WANT AN ANSWER!!

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

BTP
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2001, 11:26 PM

Let's see if they actually pull the plug. It has been described as a 'game of chicken' where the bondholders are trying to 'blackmail' a larger bid by AT&T.

Mixed feelings about this; sorry for those good people that might lose service, but hopeful that the astounding abuse that goes on there will be a thing of the past if they go dark.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

Nimisys
Banned
Dec 1, 2001, 04:46 AM

fear not cox@home users... their connection is still in place... and kicking strong.

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2001, 06:05 AM

2am, and it's still there. AT&T hasn't posted ANYTHING, and @Home is still "sign up with us! we're fast!" n stuff

:;sigh::
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2001, 06:29 AM

guy from att says we WILL get disconnected, he just doesn't know when.

he also gave me this url: www.bbs.att.com/help

from the page:

AT&T Broadband Business Services
Important Updates Regarding Excite@Home and @Work
Last Updated: 11/26/01

As has been previously announced, Excite@Home, recently filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. AT&T Broadband Business Services remains committed to providing our customers with quality high-speed connectivity without service disruptions, and is committed to keeping our customers informed of important updates. Be sure to visit this site daily to receive the most current update on this situation.

AT&T Broadband Statement:
Judge Thomas E. Carlson of U.S. bankruptcy court today canceled the Master Distribution Agreements between the At Home Corporation and the cable companies to which it provides high-speed Internet service, including AT&T.

AT&T has not been told whether or not the At Home Corporation intends to shut down its service. However, AT&T representatives are scheduled to meet with executives of At Home to discuss the matter. AT&T is prepared to take appropriate steps to protect service to its customers, including if necessary moving its customers to a new high-speed Internet network immediately.

The company said that individual customers could be moved to the new network in one to 14 days if necessary. The company will automatically issue credits to all customers who experience an interruption of service at the rate of two days free service for every day of interruption.

The company noted that former MediaOne customers, who are served by theAT&T Broadband network are not affected by today's action. Nor are customers of AT&T Broadband's video or telephony services.

Answers to Commonly Asked Questions

What specific contingency plans does AT&T Broadband have to ensure that its customers receive no service disruptions?
We are working with Excite@Home's independent board of directors and the bankruptcy court to provide customers with uninterrupted high-speed cable Internet service. AT&T has proposed purchasing certain Excite@Home network assets.

This proposed asset purchase is subject to court approval. If the asset sale is approved, AT&T plans to build on the assets it acquires to develop a more robust network while improving and growing our high-speed cable Internet service.

If the proposal to purchase the Excite@Home network is not approved, your service may be temporarily interrupted and it will be necessary to move your service to a new AT&T Broadband network.

How long will I be without my high-speed cable Internet service if it has to be moved to a new AT&T Broadband network?
We will call to notify you of any applicable changes to your cable Internet service including interruptions.

It is currently undetermined as to whether AT&T Broadband high-speed cable Internet service will be interrupted regardless of the outcome of AT&T Broadband's proposal. In the event that your high-speed cable Internet service is interrupted, AT&T Broadband will work as quickly as possible to restore your service on the new AT&T Broadband network.

Should I back up my Web page and email files in case my service is moved to an AT&T Broadband network?
As a Business Services customer, email and web hosting provided by AT&T Broadband will not be impacted by a network move, although it is always a good idea to back up important data of any kind.

What will happen to my high-speed cable Internet service if AT&T Broadband purchases the Excite@Home network?
If AT&T is able to purchase and manage the Excite@Home network, there will be no immediate change to your current service. If the network purchase is approved, we will notify you via U.S. Mail as soon as possible.

What will happen to my high-speed cable Internet service if AT&T Broadband's proposal to purchase the Excite@Home network is not approved?
If AT&T's proposal to purchase the Excite@Home network is not approved, your service may be temporarily interrupted and it will be necessary to move your service to a new AT&T Broadband network.

How will I know if my AT&T Broadband high-speed cable Internet service is going to change?
We will call to notify you of any applicable changes to your cable Internet service. A message will be left on your voicemail or recorder if no one is available at the time of the call.

Also, please continue to look for updates in your U.S. Mail and bulletins posted at http://www.bbs.att.com/help.

How will I know if my AT&T Broadband high-speed cable Internet service is going to be interrupted?
We will call to notify you of any applicable changes to your cable Internet service. A message will be left on your voicemail or recorder if no one is available at the time of the call.

Also, please continue to look for updates in your U.S. Mail and bulletins posted at http://www.bbs.att.com/help.

If necessary, how will I connect to the new AT&T Broadband network?
We will call to notify you of any applicable change to your cable Internet service including interruptions. A message will be left on your voicemail or recorder if no one is available at the time of the call.

Only if you are notified that your high-speed cable Internet service has moved to the new AT&T Broadband network, please follow these steps:
If you do have an AT&T Broadband managed router (Cayman or Allied Telesyn):

1. Power down your AT&T router by unplugging the unit from the power outlet.
2. After 30 seconds, power on the router by plugging the unit back into the power outlet.
3. You should now be able to reach the Internet on the new AT&T Broadband Internet network. If you are unable to reach the Internet, contact AT&T Broadband at 1-888-824-8105.

If you do not have an AT&T Broadband managed router:

1. Configure any equipment that is connected to the AT&T Broadband cable modem to obtain an IP address automatically (in other words, configured to support DHCP).
2. Restart your computer.
3. If you are running an application that requires a static IP address, you will be receiving a new IP address and will need to contact AT&T Broadband at 1-888-824-8105 to receive the new IP address.
4. You should now be able to reach the Internet on the new AT&T Broadband Internet network. If you are unable to reach the Internet, contact AT&T Broadband at 1-888-824-8105.

How will AT&T Broadband keep me informed about changes to my high-speed cable Internet service as a result of Excite@Home's recent filing for Chapter 11?
Information about any changes to your service may be communicated through letters mailed by U.S. Mail, and bulletins posted at http://www.bbs.att.com/help.

In addition, we will call you if:

1. Your service will be interrupted
2. We must move your service to the new AT&T Broadband network

How will my AT&T Broadband cable Internet service change if it is moved to the new AT&T Broadband network?
It is our goal to continue to provide you with excellent high-speed cable Internet service if your AT&T Broadband cable Internet service is moved to a new AT&T Broadband network.

A detailed description of changes will be provided at http://www.bbs.att.com/help if changes to your AT&T Broadband high-speed cable Internet service are necessary.

Will my AT&T Broadband Business Services Subscriber Agreement change?
No.

Will my monthly AT&T Broadband high-speed cable Internet service subscription price increase due to any changes related to this announcement?
AT&T Broadband currently has no plans to increase the monthly subscription price for its high-speed cable Internet service as a result of any action necessitated by Excite@Home's Chapter 11 Bankruptcy filing.

Will my e-mail address change if AT&T Broadband moves its high-speed cable Internet service to a new AT&T Broadband network?
As a Business Services customer, your email address will remain the same in the event of a migration.

Will I receive a credit if my AT&T Broadband high-speed cable Internet service is interrupted as a result of moving it to the new AT&T Broadband network?
Yes. While we realize these potential changes may cause some inconvenience, please be assured that we are working hard to avoid any service disruptions. In the event the service is disrupted during a migration, you will receive a credit for those days of interrupted service.

We are working hard to provide you with excellent high-speed cable Internet service. We appreciate your patience and your business.
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2001, 11:49 AM

Anyone else lost their @home email. I've been getting username and password not accepted by server for about 4 hours now. Wait, this could just be their crappy service too.
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3

scottiB
Professional Poster
Dec 1, 2001, 12:29 PM

Comcast@home in the Detroit area is down, gone, whatever (I'm at my office using DSL): network connection is up according to my modem lights, but DNS servers are gone.

I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

jguidroz
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2001, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>Comcast@home in the Detroit area is down, gone, whatever (I'm at my office using DSL): network connection is up according to my modem lights, but DNS servers are gone.

</STRONG>
Try to find another DNS server, and then use that if you still have a connection. Seeing this, I think I'm gonna quickly set up my machine as a dns server in case I lose mine but still have a connection.
AL G4/1.5 OS X 10.3

Forum Links
Forum Rules