Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mountain biking

Mountain biking
fourstarcltv
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2002, 04:46 PM

mountain biking, i'm think of joining the fray and am looking for a bit of advice.

i'm after a bike to ride around the streets of sydney, maybe to-from work, aswell as a bit of weekend warrior-type biking on fire trails etc. in national parks. so nothing too serious.

im looking at the giant iguana (minus the disc brakes) which retails for about AU$1000 (US$540) and the giant boulder se which goes for about AU$500 (US$270). has anyone had any experience with either of these models? or models similar?

i am tempted to go for the $500 model and then pop an ipod into the equation for listening on those bike rides, but am thinking i'd regret getting a cheaper bike in the long run.

any thoughts, comments, suggestions most welcome.

cheers,

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2002, 05:28 PM

Sounds like for 5 bean you can get a really nice used bike. Check out a Cannondale or Gary Fisher (sp?). It depends on what you are going to do. If you are riding around town, you won't want a really nice bike as it might get jacked. FWIW, I started to get into Mountain Biking when I lived in Aspen. Even though I am total novice, it is incredibly fun thing to do. Forget about the wide arse vehicle trails, and find yourself a nice "single track." AND ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET. I repeat, ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET.

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: TonyRado ]

zigmeister
Forum Regular
May 3, 2002, 05:38 PM

I use Rock Hopper from Specialized - pretty complete if you don't feel comfortable with hacking you MB just yet.
Master of Zigs

fourstarcltv  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2002, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by TonyRado:
<STRONG>Sounds like for 5 bean you can get a really nice used bike. Check out a Cannondale or Gary Fisher (sp?). It depends on what you are going to do. If you are riding around town, you won't want a really nice bike as it might get jacked.</STRONG>
yeah, i was thinking about that also... leaving it chained up outside of corner stores and the like. but looking at the boulder se and the iguana, they are very similar in looks to the untrained eye.

i wouldn't mind a second-hand bike in order to save a few pennies, but are these also available at bike stores?

<STRONG>FWIW, I started to get into Mountain Biking when I lived in Aspen. Even though I am total novice, it is incredibly fun thing to do.</STRONG>
that's why i'm wanting to get into it, i'm tired of hearing all the weekend warrior stories from my mates

thanks for the thoughts.

[ 05-03-2002: Message edited by: fourstarcltv ]

mike one
Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2002, 06:34 PM

i've had a $500 (US) KONA fire mountain for about 5 years, i don't ride it all that much but it is tough as nails.
might be hard to find one in AUS but they are made in Hawaii so maybe not.

my bet is to stick with the big names, and go with the one that is a bit more pricey. in the long run better parts will make your machine last longer, and be more fun to ride.

to save $$$ go with a suspensionless frame, including no front suspension, espcially if most of your riding will be on pavement.

fourstarcltv  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 3, 2002, 10:17 PM

i've just been doing a little more research and i'm now leaning towards a gary fisher mamba bike.

any thoughts on this bike? i'll be riding on pathed tracks most of the time and going on singletracks every second weekend or so.

thanks again for your thoughts.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 11:08 PM

The Fisher looks like a very good bike for the money. If this is your first bike, or you haven't ridden one in years, I wouldn't spend too much on it. You can ride it to see how much you like it, and then, in a couple of years, get a nicer bike if you get into it. Whatever you do, go to a shop where they know how to fit you to a bike. If the bike doesn't fit and feel right, you won't ride it, and it will be money poured down the drain.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

fourstarcltv  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2002, 02:54 AM

Originally posted by KarlG:
<STRONG>The Fisher looks like a very good bike for the money. If this is your first bike, or you haven't ridden one in years, I wouldn't spend too much on it. You can ride it to see how much you like it, and then, in a couple of years, get a nicer bike if you get into it. Whatever you do, go to a shop where they know how to fit you to a bike. If the bike doesn't fit and feel right, you won't ride it, and it will be money poured down the drain.</STRONG>
yeah, this will be my first bike since my old bmx which i rode many a year ago.

i went and had a look at the gary fisher mamba this afternoon and i was very impressed. this could be the one !

and yeah, you're right if i really get into mountain biking i can always upgrade a few years down the track.

cheers,

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
May 4, 2002, 04:44 AM

we bought a real cheap 150 usd one from costco... not bad though. 24-speed, front and back suspension ::shrug::

how do you get a bike WITHOUT disc brakes???
Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

fourstarcltv  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
May 4, 2002, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
<STRONG>how do you get a bike WITHOUT disc brakes??? </STRONG>
this bike has disc brakes, whereas this one does not.

and yes, another hour has past and i've changed my mind again, i now have my eye on a gary fisher wahoo which retails for AU$849 and comes with rockshox, nice !

decisions, decisions.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2002, 09:21 AM

Thats not a real mountain bike. Anyway disk brakes are so strong and heavy they are on stuff like dirtbikes and motorcycles and downhill bikes.

Since a decent XC mountain bike is usually 20-25 lb. and you cant go THAT fast using your own power - disk brakes are overkill. There are other types of brakes! The disk pads clamp down on the rims - it works quite well.

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
<STRONG>we bought a real cheap 150 usd one from costco... not bad though. 24-speed, front and back suspension ::shrug::

how do you get a bike WITHOUT disc brakes??? </STRONG>
Change your world and you will change your mind.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2002, 09:25 AM

I would really go for the Rock Hopper. Great idea. Great beginner bike - good value - lasts long.

When you really start getting into biking get a Cannondale or a Klein. If you have not heard of Klein check them out - the best bike you could buy: http://kleinbikes.com/

Originally posted by zigmeister:
<STRONG>I use Rock Hopper from Specialized - pretty complete if you don't feel comfortable with hacking you MB just yet.</STRONG>

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2002, 09:41 AM

ACK! I am a fool, excuse me. I meant a Hard Rock - a Rock Hopper is 2 much bike for you.

Check out the hardrocks: http://www.specialized.com/SBCBFHardRock.jsp?a=b

Good luck! PS, RockShox are very popular but are not necessarily beat other shocks.

Originally posted by crazyjohnson:
<STRONG>I would really go for the Rock Hopper. Great idea. Great beginner bike - good value - lasts long.
</STRONG>

TonyRado
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2002, 11:46 AM

The only thing I want to add before I get into making suggestions "beyond" my knowledge of mountain biking is that when you are doing single track you'll need:
(1) front shocks
(2) toe clips/straps

Forum Links
Forum Rules