Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Spiderman! the movie.....

Spiderman! the movie.....
Footy
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 07:16 PM

Hey Guys,

Just got back from seeing Spiderman! I would hate to ruin any of if for you but I will say this..... Great move! Great special effects! Great story!

lloyd

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 07:18 PM

We were going to try to make it but they were sold out...oh well, better that i don't' spend money anyway...
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>We were going to try to make it but they were sold out...oh well, better that i don't' spend money anyway...</STRONG>
That sucks! I went to the first one I could this afternoon after work at 4pm, with the kids (8 and 11). I have to say that though it's PG-13 the kids can see it. Couple in your face scary parts but not bad. My 8 year old son loved it, my daughter just like it so I guess it's not a chic flick.

I'd try a first play in the morning showing. 10 or 11 am or so. When we left the theater there was a long line waiting to get into the next showing.

lloyd

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 07:57 PM

I'll be watching it at IMAX at midnight

I'm sure it'll be a hell of adventure on IMAX's huge screen

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 08:17 PM

I just saw a matin�e of it. It was entertaining, and pretty faithful to the comic book.

The special effects were pretty decent, but the parts where he jumps from roof to roof were stupid looking--sort of like the final fight scene from Blade II. And the way the New Yorkers stuck up for him on the bridge was too "after-school-special."

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by wataru:
<STRONG>I just saw a matin�e of it. It was entertaining, and pretty faithful to the comic book.

The special effects were pretty decent, but the parts where he jumps from roof to roof were stupid looking--sort of like the final fight scene from Blade II. And the way the New Yorkers stuck up for him on the bridge was too "after-school-special."</STRONG>
Lets not mess up the movie for anyone!

Yeah, I'd have to say that that particular scene was a bit easy to see the computer work but it didn't take away from the movie. I thought the New Yorkers sticking up for him was a nice touch and I didn't see it coming.

lloyd

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
<STRONG>I'll be watching it at IMAX at midnight

I'm sure it'll be a hell of adventure on IMAX's huge screen</STRONG>
That is going to be very cool!

lloyd

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 08:55 PM

Just wondering and don't answer if it will give it away,

I think it was the first Spiderman trailer that showed a helicopter(?) trapped in a web spun around the World Trade Center...Did they keepit in?

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
May 3, 2002, 09:15 PM

I admit to having pre-maturely "beat-up" on the CGI in the very early TV commercials but after a while I started to like the CGI in the newer ones. Plus it's been receiving excellent reviews. That said, I will be seeing this flick possibly tomorrow assuming it's not sold out. Otherwise it's definitely on my otherewise empty "to-do" list for next weekend.

Mike

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
<STRONG>Just wondering and don't answer if it will give it away,

I think it was the first Spiderman trailer that showed a helicopter(?) trapped in a web spun around the World Trade Center...Did they keepit in?</STRONG>
Nowhere did I see any reference to the WTC. But it wasn't conspicuously absent or anything. It just wasn't there.

The most interesting thing I thought was the Suntory Wiskey ad in Times Square. Do they even make wiskey?

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2002, 10:24 PM

I really liked it but I wasn't expecting it to be 80% love story.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 10:24 PM

Woohoo, sounds like it's going to be a good one, I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Thanks for keeping this thread spoiler-free!

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>I really liked it but I wasn't expecting it to be 80% love story.</STRONG>
80%? I think that's a bit high. I thought it was very even with the action and his learning his powers. The movie moves along very well.

lloyd

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by MikeM32:
<STRONG> Otherwise it's definitely on my otherewise empty "to-do" list for next weekend.

Mike</STRONG>
Empty "to-do" list? What's your secret!

lloyd

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2002, 11:05 PM

Just got back from it not too long ago. I thought it was good. It was pretty true to the comics. There were some very welcome unexpected characters.

But I wonder why the movies (Spidey, Blade, Daredevil will probably be the same way) don't ever mention any other Marvel characters?

Did anyone catch the reference to the Lizard? Peter mentions a certain Dr. Connors, which from the comics was the Lizard. Maybe I'm too much of a comic geek for my own good...

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

zigmeister
Forum Regular
May 3, 2002, 11:47 PM

Oh, I'm sure the Lizard will show up later on with all it's dramatic potential.

I didn't see the movie yet, but I saw some scenes on the Net. I didn't see any reference to Uncle Ben - is he in this movie or was he left out of the plot?
Master of Zigs

Cellery
Mac Elite
May 3, 2002, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by zigmeister:
<STRONG>Oh, I'm sure the Lizard will show up later on with all it's dramatic potential.

I didn't see the movie yet, but I saw some scenes on the Net. I didn't see any reference to Uncle Ben - is he in this movie or was he left out of the plot?</STRONG>
Minor spoiler...
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Just like in the comic, Uncle Ben is killed by a burglar, pushing Peter Parker towards a life of fighting crime. Uncle Ben also gives Peter his famous saying: "With great power comes great responsibility."

goMac
Posting Junkie
May 4, 2002, 12:08 AM

<STRONG>

Nowhere did I see any reference to the WTC. But it wasn't conspicuously absent or anything. It just wasn't there.

The most interesting thing I thought was the Suntory Wiskey ad in Times Square. Do they even make wiskey?</STRONG>
They did mention "the bombing" in reference to the economy. I think that was a reference.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

zigmeister
Forum Regular
May 4, 2002, 12:09 AM

Bah - spoiler froiler. I didn't see the movie yet but the outcome is pretty much obvious, I don't think it'll be anything like the sixth sense... The green goblin will get it's ass kicked (not without beating the heck out of Spidey) and PP will kiss MJ. Next episode will be with Connors or Venom.

Yada, yada. Thanks anyway for the Ben info - it just wouldn't be right to leave him out.

Have mercy though - Genetically Mutated Spider? Self-made webs?
Master of Zigs

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
May 4, 2002, 12:34 AM

Originally posted by goMac:
<STRONG>

They did mention "the bombing" in reference to the economy. I think that was a reference.</STRONG>
The refilmed that scene along with the ending that showed the trade center.

My friends name was listed in the end credits as one of the lead animators!

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
May 4, 2002, 01:30 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:

My friends name was listed in the end credits as one of the lead animators!
Not to dig up old bones, but I couldn't recall if it was you or Apple Pro Underwear who had a friend that worked on the film. Anyway (as I stated above) in the more recent commercials I'd seen the CGI looks pretty good. So I have to take back what I said in a much older thread a while back about the CGI not being "believable". Plus I hear it got some pretty good revues (for what that's worth).

I'm waiting for an e-mail from my brother "revueing" the film (he's 10 yrs older than me, big Marvel comic book fan and a Trekkie, as opposed to me being a Star Wars fan, has the original X-Men, has met Stan Lee and has plenty of signed goodies and so on). I'm betting he's going to see it whenever he can break away from the wife and kid routine. He wasn't crazy about the X-Men movie which I personally find strange because I thought it was pretty damn good. But then again I never followed the X-Men comics, so I didn't have any pre-disposed "notion" of what it "should" be.

I wonder if all these Marvel comics movie adaptations will breathe life back into the comic book fan genr�. A while back (probably a few years or more) I'd heard Marvel comics almost went belly-up.

I'd also love to know what the "deal" is with that Superman flick. Supposedly Kevin Smith had penned a script and it then got passed to Tim Burton, and now I don't know what's going on with that. All due respect to Christopher Reeves portrayal, but it seems Superhero flicks are the rage, so why not "refresh" the man of steel once more?

As for Batman, I think it's kinda dead in the water. But if they ever decide to make a film adaptation of the comic "The Dark Knight Returns" I'd pay to see that. Probably one of the few "superhero" comics I've ever read that really had me totally engrossed.

Mike

Parvulesco
May 4, 2002, 01:35 AM

<STRONG>

The most interesting thing I thought was the Suntory Wiskey ad in Times Square. Do they even make wiskey?</STRONG>
Yes, Suntory does make whiskey and has for some time. Rather scarce (and not inexpensive) in the USA.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 04:08 AM

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX:
<STRONG>
Did anyone catch the reference to the Lizard? Peter mentions a certain Dr. Connors, which from the comics was the Lizard. Maybe I'm too much of a comic geek for my own good...</STRONG>
Not only was there a refference to the Lizard, Stan "the Man" Lee made a guest appearance, as did Lucy Lawless (Xena) and Randy "Macho Man" Savage.

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

Miniryu
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by ironknee:
<STRONG>Just wondering and don't answer if it will give it away,

I think it was the first Spiderman trailer that showed a helicopter(?) trapped in a web spun around the World Trade Center...Did they keepit in?</STRONG>
I am pretty sure that the WTC scene you are talking about (I saw the original trailer- it was so awesome) was not an actual scene from the movie, but just a teaser.

My website

Footy  (op)
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
<STRONG>

I am pretty sure that the WTC scene you are talking about (I saw the original trailer- it was so awesome) was not an actual scene from the movie, but just a teaser.</STRONG>
The first trailer that came out also had a bank robbery scene that isn't in the movie either.

lloyd

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 4, 2002, 12:19 PM

Good flick which kept the spirit and most of the storyline of the comic. Tobey Maguire was genius casting. I could've done without the MJ and Peter scene at the very end, but I can see why Hollywood would want it. Great humor throughout.

I caught most of Raimi's injoke casting and props (Ash's car, Bruce Campbell--"The human spider? That sucks."--when you see the movie, you'll catch the line, and Ted Raimi). but I missed Lucy Lawless and Stan Lee. Where were they?

My girlfriend loved it, and I have to dig out my boxes of comics for her to read.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 02:21 PM

<STRONG>

Not to dig up old bones, but I couldn't recall if it was you or Apple Pro Underwear who had a friend that worked on the film.

Mike</STRONG>
It was me. He left for L.A. in March of 2001. He was one of the lead Animators for the film and he himself said that the movie looked kinda cheesy from what he saw in the rough cuts. All he really saw at the time was Peter as a geek running next to the bus and didn't know where in the movie it fell in.

Apparently they DID have a scene in the end with the WTC. I think it was just the very end when Spider-man is swinging through the streets. At any rate they had to completely re-animate and film it.

At any rate a radio station actually did interviews with us as they wanted to know what we knew about the movie. We couldn�t tell them anything about the plot but we talked a little about the effects and what exactly our friend was up to. Then we got worried that we would get sued.

Now our friend is still there working on Stewart Little 2 for at least 6 more months.

"Barwaraaawww"

dreilly1
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 07:47 PM

I don't think that trailer with the trade center towers was ever intended to be part of the movie.

The towers aren't a conspicuous part of the movie anyway, as it seems that Spidey and the Green Goblin prefer Midtown. You can still see the towers in the background in some shots, if you know where to look. At least they didn't edit them out of the entire movie like they were thinking of doing.

Did they film it on location? The shots of Peter Parker's neighborhood, with all the row houses and narrow concrete driveways, looked just like the Queens neighborhood I grew up in.
It looked authentic to me, down to the funny way they do the house numbers in parts of Queens.
When Mary Jane ran down the concrete driveway between two houses, I got a total flashback to high school! If they didn't film it in the city, they did a good job re-creating it!

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

pathogen
Mac Elite
May 4, 2002, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by goMac:
<STRONG>

They did mention "the bombing" in reference to the economy. I think that was a reference.</STRONG>
It was a reference to something that happened in the film, ie Quest.

I thought the moive was alright. I was a bit disappointed. I expected a bit too much, I guess. The best parts were Peter learning.
When you were young and your heart was an open book, you used to say "live and let live."
But if this ever changing world, in which we live in, makes you give in and cry, say "live and let die."

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2002, 12:55 AM

My brother and I enjoyed it very much. Some of the CG is a little funny looking (especially some shots of him traversing the city), but that doesn't detract from the film. Kirsten Dunst isn't good looking by any stretch of the imagination, IMO, and that was the least believable aspect.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

starman
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2002, 01:16 AM

Well, the towers are most definitely in at least two scenes in the film.

One is a long shot of Manhattan at night looking south, the towers are behind the Empire State Building in the distance.

The second shot is the quick pan as Spidey 'flies' around Manhattan at the very end of the film.

I was told that the shot of the towers reflected in SPidey's eyes was there, but I blinked and missed it.

Fact is, the towers ARE in the film, but briefly. I'm glad they were left in.

Mike

[ 05-05-2002: Message edited by: starman ]

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Bockie
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 10:27 AM

Originally posted by scottiB:
<STRONG>...but I missed Lucy Lawless and Stan Lee. Where were they? ...</STRONG>
Lucy Lawless - the Punk/Goth girl saying something like, "A man with eight arms--I can dig it."
Stan Lee - don't know, I missed that one, too
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

rok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2002, 10:42 AM

yep, this movie was two thumbs up, folks! just remember, don't over-analyze the thing. have fun with it. the only people i know of that didn't like it felt it didn't do "justice" to the green goblin character, especially in the second half. give it a rest! how many years of storytelling do they have to compress for a two-hour movie?!? it's a movie adaptation of a genre of storytelling that, if it's not never-ending, it's pretty close. and that is hard to capture (the only ones to do a halfway decent job were 1978's superman and the original batman movie with keaton and nicholson).

either way, people cheered and applauded at the end, and everyone i went with (six in all) loved the movie. it was late, so we opted to not go see it again, but the line for the post-midnight shows were enormous!

to the person seeing it on imax, fair warning, because this is how i saw it too, thinking it would be great. first, the screen, while enormous, is square-ish, like a television, so the panorama shots are clipped at the sides. also, imax projectors tend to be darker than standard projectors, so some of the last scenes were REALLY dark.

i wish i could have seen willem defoe's face more.. that guy was born evil-looking.

the OTHER super-villain seed they planted (sort of a SPOILER, but if you're not listening for it, you'll never hear it)...
-
-
-
-
in the first daily bugle scene, when j jonah is *****ing at everyone to get him a good picture of spider-man, and someone at his desk says (paraphrased here): "eddie's been trying to get a decent shot for days now..."

hmmm... anyone who's read spider-man over the past decade knows that a photographer named eddie that peter scoops for the pictures of spider-man can only mean one thing.... VENOM!!!

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
May 5, 2002, 11:22 AM

there def was a scene in the movie that was filmed AT the WTC

MINOR SPOILER
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
When they are interviewing people about what they think of Spiderman, there are 2 workers who are CLEARLY at the WTC site

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 5, 2002, 04:44 PM

I just got home from seeing it. Loved it. Why? Because we finally have an action movie ( and a superhero movie yet), with actual friggen PLOT and CHARACTERS. It's about bloody time.

Spotting the Sam Raimi casting was awesome too, Stan Lee was very briefly in it during the first Goblin attack, playing a reporter I think.

I can't see how anyone would be disappointed in it, other than some of the CGI. But you get used it it. Great casting all round.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

MikeM32
Banned
May 5, 2002, 04:52 PM

It's funny because I was Listenning to an interview with Toby Macguire (sp?) on Howard Stern just last week, and Howie predicted at least a 100 million gross.

The movie has grossed 114 million since Friday.

God I only hope Star Wars Episode 2 will gross as much. I mean since I am a big Star Wars fan and all :-/

Mike

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 5, 2002, 05:00 PM

<STRONG>The movie has grossed 114 million since Friday.</STRONG>
Are you serious??! Holy moly, that's way more than I expected. I figured a $75M opening weekend for the USA. Is that total world gross?

But I figure it's anticipation for the big summer season: the first big hyped flick will do well, and they've been hyping this since August.

<STRONG>God I only hope Star Wars Episode 2 will gross as much.</STRONG>
Why would you ever doubt, young Jedi?
Of course SW will make zillions.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Miniryu
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 03:25 AM

Originally posted by ReggieX:
<STRONG>

Why would you ever doubt, young Jedi?
Of course SW will make zillions.</STRONG>
Actually, hard-core Spidey fans will recall that they first announced this movie sometime in 1991-1992. I have been waiting for it since junior high

And oh yeah... Stan Lee was in the first Spidey/Gobby fight; he is running from the debris just as the platform Mary Jane is standing on falls.

And Kristen Dunst is a babe.

My website

theUpsetter
Dedicated MacNNer
May 6, 2002, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by rok:
<STRONG>
in the first daily bugle scene, when j jonah is *****ing at everyone to get him a good picture of spider-man, and someone at his desk says (paraphrased here): "eddie's been trying to get a decent shot for days now..."

hmmm... anyone who's read spider-man over the past decade knows that a photographer named eddie that peter scoops for the pictures of spider-man can only mean one thing.... VENOM!!!</STRONG>
They also mention Dr. Conners, who becomes the Lizard in the comic book, and of course the obvious Harry Osborn, who becomes the second Green Goblin.

xyber233
Mac Elite
May 6, 2002, 01:45 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:
<STRONG>

And Kristen Dunst is a babe.</STRONG>
Ditto

Forum Links
Forum Rules