Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What's your *real* name mean?

What's your *real* name mean?
speirsfr
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 6, 2001, 06:57 AM

I'll go first. I hate my name, BTW.

Fraser - "Planter of Strawberries" (Fraise is French for strawberry or something) The amount of shame this has brought upon me from my friends is unimaginable :o Everyone calls me Fraz tho'.

Speirs - No idea what it means, but it has this really annoying 'ei' in it where everyone else wants to write 'ie' because of I before E. It's so bad, my cousin Britney changed the spelling of it

Fraz
PowerBook G4 17"
Power Mac G4/800, 1Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, Superdrive, GeForce 4MX, Gateway 21" CRT, Apple Pro Speakers, iSub - Running Mac OS X Server 10.2
iBook 500, 192MbRAM - Running Mac OS X 10.2
iPod 5Gb

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Dec 6, 2001, 01:15 PM

Erik means warrior. I have no idea why, but I read it on one of those mugs that had the meaning of your name in it...

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

cheerios
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2001, 01:17 PM

Rachael is a bastardization of a biblical name, and supposedly it means little lamb. some days that suits me, and other's its soo far off it's not funny.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

Bluebomber21XX
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 6, 2001, 07:27 PM

cody : A cushion.

patterson : Son of patter =P
The online resource for Rockman & Forte!
http://www.bluebomber.com/

suprz
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2001, 07:38 PM

my name means "lover of horses"
if you look up the definition you wil find out my real name.....

oh and by the way, i cant stand horses.....
"The only time that man gets to actually leave a physical mark upon this earth is in death, and even then, it is only a gravestone proclaiming his demise"

eep!
Mac Elite
Dec 6, 2001, 07:56 PM

My first name Neil is either irish for champion (so i've been told, anyway) or derived from cornelius which means battle cry or war horn, which is more appropriate as I'm the loudest person I know, when I have to be anyway.

My Family Name Marshall as far as I can remember was something like "takes care of horses" ::shrug::

I'm going to go look it up and find out.

[edit]
http://www.kabalarians.com/male/neil.htm No meanings but mostly right.

Find out what your name means here

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: eep! ]

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 6, 2001, 08:07 PM

Geoffrey -- according to those in the know (my friends, coworkers, family, etc) it means "Full of Sh*t."

Barnett -- again, from the same sources, "Small Barn Where Horses Drop Used Grain."

Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

finboy
Dec 6, 2001, 08:09 PM

My real name means "one who stands on tall building with rifle."

Justin Belisle
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2001, 08:43 PM

Justin means: "Justin, a 2-syllable boy's name of Latin origin, means: One who is virtuous; just; upright. Justin's ethnic backgrounds include * Irish * Czech . It has religious backgrounds in * Saints .

Belisle is a French name that translates to "Bel = Beautiful
Isle = Island"
Justin Belisle
[email protected]

MikeM32
Banned
Location: "Joisey" Home of the "Guido" and chicks with "Big Hair"
Dec 6, 2001, 09:31 PM

Michael: Again most likely the typical biblical name/reference. If there's a "further meaning" I'm not aware of it.

McConnell: well I don't know about "meaning" per-se but here's a bit on history of the name McConnell Clan

Mike

AlbertWu
Professional Poster
Dec 6, 2001, 09:54 PM

my parents named me after einstein, and most chinese families got their last names from a poem, which explains why there's so many of the same last name.

"whenever you wing china, you get the wong number"

Ad Astra Per Aspera - Semper Exploro

3gg3
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2001, 12:14 AM

Originally posted by AlbertWu:
<STRONG>"whenever you wing china, you get the wong number </STRONG>
You mean that 'Roo' guy posting here is getting your number by mistake?

Patrick
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 05:14 PM

Check out the site http://www.behindthename.com/ . It has a huge listing of names and their history and meanings. They've got a search engine that will look any of it up (meanings or names), if you forget your name or something. Like the guy who said he was a lover of horses is probably named Phillip.

Here's mine:

PATRICK (m) From the Roman name Patricius, which meant "nobleman" (Latin). A 5th-century saint, the patron saint of Ireland, adopted this name (his birth name was Sucat). During his youth he was captured by Irish raiders and enslaved, but after six years of servitude he escaped to his home in Britain. Eventually he became a bishop and went back to Ireland as a missionary, where he succeeded in Christianizing the entire country.
[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: Patrick ]

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 7, 2001, 05:51 PM

well, my name wasn't even in the database eep! posted...odd....

John: Bible? Something....
Arthur: probably because of that king guy...I'm mostly english...yeah, I know I'm ashamed of it...
Worthington: again, english name...'family that is worthy'?

okay...the 'behindthename.com' place has
John: disciple of Saint JOHN" (Irish , go figure
Arthur: nadda... I would have expected SOMETHING...oh well...
Worthington: again nadda, but this time I am not so surprised.

so I guess my name means:
disciple of Saint JOHN, nothing, nadda
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

cpatubo
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 7, 2001, 06:29 PM

Argh... that site said:

COURTNEY (f,m) From a surname which was derived either from a French place name meaning "domain of CURTIS" or else from a French nickname meaning "short nose".

Hey! I resent that!

eep!
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2001, 07:08 PM

Hey, Short nose! could be worse, you could have been called "Cerano de Bergerac"

NEIL (m) From the Gaelic name Niall, which is of disputed origin, possibly "champion" or "cloud" or "passionate". This was the name of a character in Irish legend who passed a test of fire to become king.
MARSHALL (m) From a surname that originally denoted a person who was a marshall. The word marshall originally derives from Germanic marah "horse" and scalc "servant".
woohoo! I was right! "Horse servant"? isn't that illegal?

MikeM32
Banned
Location: &quot;Joisey&quot; Home of the &quot;Guido&quot; and chicks with &quot;Big Hair&quot;
Dec 7, 2001, 07:17 PM

too bad that link seems to only cover first names

Anyway as I said I knew "Michael" is a biblical reference, but here's what the above link got me.....

MICHAEL (m) From the Hebrew name Mikha'el meaning "who is like God?". This was the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of eight Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this name include Michael Faraday, a chemist and physicist who did important work in magnetism and electricity in the 19th century, and basketball player Michael Jordan.

Mike

cheerios
Professional Poster
Dec 7, 2001, 07:17 PM

Behind the name says:

RACHAEL (f) Variant of RACHEL

RACHEL (f) "ewe" (Hebrew). She was the favourite wife of Jacob and the mother of Joseph and Benjamin in the Old Testament.

MEREDITH (m,f) Possibly "great lord" or "sea lord" from Welsh Maredudd. A famous bearer of this name as surname was George Meredith, novelist and poet from England.

My last name was changed a couple generations ago, to sound more american, when my family moved to the US from Portugal, so no real relevance.
The short shall inherit the earth. Just you wait. You won't see us coming. We'll pop out from under tables, beds, and closets in hordes. So you're tall, huh? You won't be so tall when I chew off your ankles. Mofo

johnny_hotrod
Dec 9, 2001, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by juanvaldes:
<STRONG>well, my name wasn't even in the database eep! posted...odd....

John: Bible? Something....
Arthur: probably because of that king guy...I'm mostly english...yeah, I know I'm ashamed of it...
Worthington: again, english name...'family that is worthy'?

okay...the 'behindthename.com' place has
John: disciple of Saint JOHN" (Irish , go figure
Arthur: nadda... I would have expected SOMETHING...oh well...
Worthington: again nadda, but this time I am not so surprised.

so I guess my name means:
disciple of Saint JOHN, nothing, nadda </STRONG>

Actually, John is Hebrew for "Gift from God". Well at least to the ladies...

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2001, 01:31 AM

My first name is Karlheinz.
Karl = German and Scandinavian form of CHARLES. This was the name of seven emperors of Austria. Other famous bearers include Karl Marx, the German philosopher and revolutionary who laid the foundations for communism, and Karl Jaspers, a German existentialist philosopher.
Heinz = Pet form of HEINRICH, which = German form of HENRY. This was the name of several German kings. Henry = "home ruler" from the Germanic name Heimerich, which was composed of the elements heim "home" and ric "power, ruler". This name was introduced into Britain by the Normans. It was borne eight kings of England including the infamous Henry VIII, as well as six kings of France and seven kings of Germany.

I was born in Germany. I didn't know I was royalty!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2001, 01:44 AM

Christopher - bearer of Christ.

More correctly Kristoper = bearer of Christ. This name must have existed as nonsense syllables before Christ, because a very large man like me carried Christ across a river to keep himfrom getting wet. He got named Saint Christopher for that, patron saint of travelers. Go figure.

Duncan - dunno what this means. It's a Scottish highlands name thoug.

Hostage = prisoner. Nuff said.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

tobster
Senior User
Dec 9, 2001, 03:18 AM

�orbj�rn Gu�mundsson

�orbj�rn =&gt; Thor and Bear
Basically combines the strengt of two very powerful creatures and says there is no fear in the person that bears the name. Whether that is true or not about me will be left up to others to decide.

Gu�mundsson =&gt; first part means God, but if I remember right it means a victorious male.

Icelanders have their last name built up of their father's name + son/daugter. My father's name is Gu�mundur and therefore I am Gu�mundsson and my sister is Gu�mundssd�ttir/daughter.

M�lum
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2001, 06:43 AM

My first name is from the First Epistle of Paul the Apostle to the Corinthians 1.1
My seconf name is the father of Christ
My third name is his wife (very catholic tradition here)

My last name is like a beer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules