Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple's response to Gateway

Apple's response to Gateway
--Helen--
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2002, 12:26 PM

Yesterday, I watched a Gateway commercial showing Ted Waitt driving an 18 wheeler with his cow singing "Whip it." Ted would sing or mouth the primary vocal and look at the cow who would then sing the chorus.

The best way Apple could respond to this ad is with a spoof at WWDC. Then they need to make a QT download of it.

In this video all they would have to do is get the iMac's screen to look at one side of the screen. Then as the truck went by the iMac's screen would follow.

Then in a new bird's eye shot we're over the black truck and can fainty hear the strains of the "Whip it" song.

Then we go back to the iMac. The iMac is still looking at the departed truck. The iMac's screen then swivels to face the camera. Then it shakes it's screen and looks down.

The iMac notices it's own shadow in the noonday sun. Then, with the lightbulb-like sun overhead it gets an idea. The iMac screen jumps up! It launches iTunes! It starts playing an appropriate song. It merrily hops away to the tune. Then we see the Apple logo and bang you have a funny response spot.

Just my two cents.

G Barnett
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2002, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by --Helen--:
<STRONG>Yesterday, I watched a Gateway commercial showing Ted Waitt driving an 18 wheeler with his cow singing "Whip it." Ted would sing or mouth the primary vocal and look at the cow who would then sing the chorus.

The best way Apple could respond to this ad is with a spoof at WWDC. Then they need to make a QT download of it.

In this video all they would have to do is get the iMac's screen to look at one side of the screen. Then as the truck went by the iMac's screen would follow.

Then in a new bird's eye shot we're over the black truck and can fainty hear the strains of the "Whip it" song.

Then we go back to the iMac. The iMac is still looking at the departed truck. The iMac's screen then swivels to face the camera. Then it shakes it's screen and looks down.

The iMac notices it's own shadow in the noonday sun. Then, with the lightbulb-like sun overhead it gets an idea. The iMac screen jumps up! It launches iTunes! It starts playing an appropriate song. It merrily hops away to the tune. Then we see the Apple logo and bang you have a funny response spot.

Just my two cents.</STRONG>
Nice! That would indeed be a good response ad. Hell, I bet some of us here could "whip it" up in no time flat.

G Barnett
Life is like a clay pigeon -- sooner or later, someone is going to shoot you down and even if they miss you'll still wind up shattered and broken in the end.

beb
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2002, 11:05 PM

I like it. The iMac needs a tv show.

"The Adventures of Luxo Junior"

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2002, 11:34 PM

Why would Apple want to waste the money?

Too Much Coffee Woman
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2002, 12:54 AM

Ted Waitt driving an 18 wheeler with his cow singing "Whip it." [/QB]
"with his cow"

lol, that is so funny....i can't stop laughing.

dgs212
Senior User
Apr 16, 2002, 01:48 AM

Helen,

While I think your commercial idea is a fabulous one (especially when the iMac forlornly shakes it head), I have to take offense to your assertion that "Whip It" is not an "appropriate" song. Devo are amazing. Are we not men, I ask you, are we not men?

--Helen--  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2002, 09:13 AM

Devo is great. I just think that singing "Whip it" with the cow and all is a bit... hmm... -a singing cow, must be one of those alien cows.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Apr 16, 2002, 10:03 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 25, 2004 at 02:33 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules