Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > About them removing the guns in "E.T."

About them removing the guns in "E.T."
The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 28, 2002, 02:12 AM

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2002, 05:40 AM

it's ****ed ****ed ****ed.

That is all I have to say about that....
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Cipher13
Mar 28, 2002, 07:08 AM

They're removing the guns from ET?

AHAHAHAH.

Goddamn, we be one screwed up species.

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: Cipher13 ]

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2002, 10:06 AM

History shouldn't be revised for correctness later. The guns were a reflection of the time when the movie was made, Stupid to airbrush them out later.
Self-censorship is still censorship.

The Dude
Banned
Mar 28, 2002, 10:09 AM

And Spielberg is still Spielberg. A rich white conformist ***** .

C33
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 28, 2002, 10:15 AM

i hear they've been working on re-releasinig Rambo too. it's taken a few years but they believe they'll have all the guns, bombs, blood and explosions digitally removed by 2004.

[ 03-28-2002: Message edited by: C33 ]

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Mar 28, 2002, 10:47 AM

I will never forgive Spielberg for this.

I had respect for him as an artist. But now we see the truth: he's just a whore to political correctness.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Mar 28, 2002, 11:00 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>They're removing the guns from ET?
</STRONG>
They replaced the shotguns with Walkie Talkie's. Looks real but the idea is still silly.

CaseCom
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2002, 12:40 PM

Oh, get down off your high horses. Spielberg says that now that he's a father himself he thinks it's too scary to have agents chasing kids with guns drawn. Hardly a "political" statement. Personally, I have no problem with it either way.

The anniversary DVD will have the original version included. So much for "censorship."

I think the bigger travesty was those cheesy celebration scenes Lucas inserted near the end of the "Star Wars" special edition.

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by CaseCom:
<STRONG>Oh, get down off your high horses. Spielberg says that now that he's a father himself he thinks it's too scary to have agents chasing kids with guns drawn. Hardly a "political" statement. Personally, I have no problem with it either way.</STRONG>

Scary fantasies prepare us for scary realities.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by The Dude:
<STRONG>And Spielberg is still Spielberg. A rich white conformist ***** .</STRONG>
I don't think it was All Spielberg's Idea since Drew Barrymore is his god Daughter and is Anti-gun. from what I hear she was the one who wanted the guns removed so he did.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Arty50
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 03:02 PM

If you were harboring ET in your house, would you expect the Feds to show up unarmed? Yeah, sure. And pigs fly, and....
"My friend, there are two kinds of people in this world:
those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig."

-Clint in "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

denim
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 03:10 PM

ET sucked when they released it the first time, so I don't expect this mutilation of a silly movie will make much of a difference.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

jholmes
Mac Elite
Mar 28, 2002, 05:33 PM

" All right men - we have an alien invader who has kidnapped a young boy - Johnson, Simpkins - grab your walkie-talkies and come with me!!"

For his next move, Spielberg will go back and add a plot into "1941"
`Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects.' -- Will Rogers

Lerkfish
Mar 28, 2002, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by jholmes:
<STRONG>For his next move, Spielberg will go back and add a plot into "1941"</STRONG>
ROTFLMAO! god, someone needs to transplant a plot into that movie.

Lerkfish
Mar 28, 2002, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
<STRONG>

Scary fantasies prepare us for scary realities.</STRONG>
The things that have always bothered me about this picture...

1. the safety was on.
2. The man holding elian wasn't even a family member...he was that wacked out sailor who "rescued" him and then insinuated himself into the family in a very weird, stalking and disturbing way. He quits his job to hang around the kid 24/7 and appoints himself family spokesman for some odd reason. He is even interviewed at one point expressing his rage at the father for not speaking to him (meaning speaking to the fisherman)...that's some very creepy stuff there. And THAT is who is holding the kid in a closet.
3. The family had been given literally hours to hand the kid over and refused, threatening to keep him no matter what, even if they have to die doing it (think about this in other context...that's essentially a dangerous hostage situation)
4. The house was surrounded by agitated expatriated Cubans threatening violence if the boy was removed.

all things considered, I'd be more upset if they didn't have weapons.

XPBlows
Forum Regular
Mar 28, 2002, 05:56 PM

wow.... history re-written again..... Rambo 20th edition - too true.....hahahahaha..... rated "G" for all audiences.....
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
" I have a SunPCI card for my SunBlade, and Virtual PC for OSX; both of which makes windows what it needs to be.... a killable process." - BJF

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2002, 05:59 PM

Originally posted by Lerkfish:
<STRONG>

all things considered, I'd be more upset if they didn't have weapons.</STRONG>
I'm glad I wasn't there and didn't have to make those decisions that day.

That said: What you are looking at is a factor in why Gore lost the election.
(Although in my mind the biggest factor was that his home state went against him.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

ringo
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2002, 06:09 PM

<STRONG>

1. the safety was on.
2. The man holding elian wasn't even a family member...he was that wacked out sailor who "rescued" him and then insinuated himself into the family in a very weird, stalking and disturbing way. He quits his job to hang around the kid 24/7 and appoints himself family spokesman for some odd reason. He is even interviewed at one point expressing his rage at the father for not speaking to him (meaning speaking to the fisherman)...that's some very creepy stuff there. And THAT is who is holding the kid in a closet.
3. The family had been given literally hours to hand the kid over and refused, threatening to keep him no matter what, even if they have to die doing it (think about this in other context...that's essentially a dangerous hostage situation)
4. The house was surrounded by agitated expatriated Cubans threatening violence if the boy was removed.

Say what you want, I still see someone pointing a gun at a kid.

1. A cop doesn't care if the safety is on when you point a gun at him. I imagine you wouldn't either.

2. Whoever was holding him, he's still in the family's house. If the family didn't care, why should you?

3. Hostage sitution? Only because the US said so. The only one threatening violence inside the house is the dude with the gun.

4. Violent Cubans are allowed to protest. Besides, they're not inside, where the Nice Man is pointing a gun.

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Mar 28, 2002, 06:41 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; Apr 24, 2004 at 07:09 PM. )

shanraghan
Senior User
Mar 29, 2002, 12:27 AM

<STRONG>Oh, get down off your high horses. Spielberg says that now that he's a father himself he thinks it's too scary to have agents chasing kids with guns drawn. </STRONG>
Children may seem delicate, but they're not as fragile as we make them out to be. I highly doubt that kids being chased by armed men in a movie would scare them too much, and thee's no harm to adding a little tension to the movie. It's been a very long time since I've seen this movie, but I don't recall them ever firing any guns. Perhaps once, but my memory is vague.

If they really are removing the guns from ET then they should remove the scenes where ET's heart glows through his chest as well. If you ask me, that'd be far more disturbing.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

Leia Shoots Like a Girl
Banned
Mar 29, 2002, 12:47 AM

This is what everyone is in a huff over. I think that if whoever didn't point it out, then nobody would have even noticed.

Note the Walkie Talkies in the guys hands on either side.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2002, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by ringo:
<STRONG>Scary fantasies prepare us for scary realities.</STRONG>
Exactly! We need to show more violence to kids so they're prepared when the jack-booted thugs really come for 'em!

shanraghan
Senior User
Mar 29, 2002, 12:53 AM

They must be windbags to use those things as weapons.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

The Jackalope  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2002, 12:15 PM

<STRONG>Oh, get down off your high horses. Spielberg says that now that he's a father himself he thinks it's too scary to have agents chasing kids with guns drawn. Hardly a "political" statement. Personally, I have no problem with it either way.
</STRONG>
By the way, Speilberg is known as a massive hypocrite in gunny circles by having pretty much the largest personal collection of NFA34 firearms (machine guns, etc) in Hollywood while railing against firearms with large amounts of $$ going toward vicitm disarmament groups such as HCI.

I just put the cartoon up as a joke. It's a funny one if you ask me. Heh.[/LIST]
[ 03-29-2002: Message edited by: The Jackalope ]

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2002, 01:32 PM

How about them bringing back the mother to re-record the line "you're not going as a terrorist" to "you're not going as a hippie"?

jcadam
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2002, 02:00 PM

<STRONG>

1. the safety was on.

What disturbs me about this picture:

I don't care if the safety is on. You don't point a weapon at anything you're not willing to kill. I think that agent either 1) has no concept of gun safety or more likely 2) was willing to kill Elian and the man holding him.

Safeties can fail, I've seen it happen.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Orange Luna
Forum Regular
Mar 29, 2002, 06:35 PM

Remember Lucas did something similar in the Star Wars remake. When Han Solo was threatened by Gredo in the Mos Eisley Cantina Lucas added digital effects that had Gredo firing first- not Solo.
"It's the cowards and weaklings and sorelosers who hide behind rules and fair play."
The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester

Korv
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 29, 2002, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by TheJoshu:
<STRONG>How about them bringing back the mother to re-record the line "you're not going as a terrorist" to "you're not going as a hippie"?</STRONG>
Sign of the times. I suppose "terrorists" are to scary to mention. So what's an adequate replacement? "Hippies" of course. Our new enemies in this time of war. The thing you don't want your kids ever becoming. Hippies.

This sickens me.

starman
Clinically Insane
Mar 29, 2002, 08:55 PM

Sign of the times.
No, that line was removed from the very first video release. I still have a bootleg VHS of it just for proof that the line existed.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

shanraghan
Senior User
Mar 30, 2002, 04:53 AM

Originally posted by Korv:
<STRONG>

Sign of the times. I suppose "terrorists" are to scary to mention. So what's an adequate replacement? "Hippies" of course. Our new enemies in this time of war. The thing you don't want your kids ever becoming. Hippies.

This sickens me.</STRONG>
Indeed. I'd say that this is the change I have the most problems with. Even if it was taken out earlier, the fact post-sept 11th political correctness and blindness supports it turly stokes my ire. It's a bad sign if people don't even have the balls to mention terrorists in a negative context... but I'm ranting.
[CENSORED]

Cipher13
Mar 30, 2002, 05:03 AM

<STRONG>Oh, get down off your high horses. Spielberg says that now that he's a father himself he thinks it's too scary to have agents chasing kids with guns drawn. Hardly a "political" statement. Personally, I have no problem with it either way.

The anniversary DVD will have the original version included. So much for "censorship."

I think the bigger travesty was those cheesy celebration scenes Lucas inserted near the end of the "Star Wars" special edition.</STRONG>
"Mummy! That man has a gun!" *cries*

Can you really see ANY child being scared by that?

Hah!

Lemme tell you, this generation of children is far less naieve than any previous to it.

This entire situation is ridiculous. You don't CHANGE movies to suit the times dammit!

It isn't right.

Who wants to go rewrite The Illiad to remove the violence from it??

fobside
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2002, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
<STRONG>

"Mummy! That man has a gun!" *cries*

Can you really see ANY child being scared by that?

Hah!

Lemme tell you, this generation of children is far less naieve than any previous to it.

This entire situation is ridiculous. You don't CHANGE movies to suit the times dammit!

It isn't right.

Who wants to go rewrite The Illiad to remove the violence from it??</STRONG>
seriously. kids these days are probably so used to violence and guns that theyre not phased by any of it. if they saw someone with a gun, theyd just pull their own.

Forum Links
Forum Rules