Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Loss of Audio with Sleep

Loss of Audio with Sleep
NickKohn
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 03:16 PM

I have noticed a relatively new issue with OS X. Whenever I put it to sleep for a long (>5hrs) time, audio no longer works upon wake-up. The only time I can regain audio is with a Restart. Sometimes when I lose audio after a short sleep time (~3hrs), I can regain audio just by unplugging and plugging in a microphone.
Anyone else have these problems??? Thanks

sgrup
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 04:00 PM

yes, I have also noticed loss of audio occasionally, though not always - my iBook has been on sleep most of the day today but i still have audio. When it does happen, Restart is the only solution that has worked so far

s

kennethmac2000
Senior User
Mar 31, 2002, 04:39 PM

Yes, I have this problem with my Quicksilver G4. 10.1.4 anyone?

Sarc
Mac Elite
Mar 31, 2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by NickKohn:
<STRONG>The only time I can regain audio is with a Restart. </STRONG>

You can also regain audio after putting it back to sleep and turning it on again. I haven't experinced this since 10.1.3.

Sarc
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Bruce O'Neal
Forum Regular
Mar 31, 2002, 10:12 PM

10.1.4?!?!?!? when did this release come out? was i asleep?

anyhow, i have not experienced the sleep/sound problem since i upgraded to 10.1.3 on my g4/733. if you are still on 10.1.2 try downloading 10.1.3.

it solved it for me ... and it might just work for you.
"Define your own reality!"

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 1, 2002, 09:40 AM

The problem is that OSX has trouble figuring out which audio output to use after waking up, and sometimes it gets it wrong.

The current workaround is to put any kind of mimiplug (headphones, speakers, etc.) into the headphone jack, and then take it out again. That should force the OS to reset the output device, and all will be well with the world.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 1, 2002, 04:00 PM

I have 10.1.3 on my 733 QuickSilver and I have experienced this issue so it's definatley not fixed in 10.1.3. Also, I have had a couple of instances where my SoundSticks just quit playing....only solution seems to be restarting the system

I hope apple fixes these bugs soon

NickKohn  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2002, 06:08 PM

Thanks for all the feedback. It does appear that the best solution to the Audio-Sleep problem with OS X is to put the computer back to sleep and then wake it up again.

-Note, this affects all computers.
-This problem is not corrected in OS 10.1.3

sjk
Forum Regular
Apr 2, 2002, 09:27 PM

Anyone have trouble with beeps in Terminal windows mysteriously stop working while all other audio works normally? I haven't found a workaround for it yet.

Nyuni
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2002, 11:45 PM

Everyone says they have this problem, but I've yet to experience it with my QS 867 machine. Maybe I got the magic box off the line from Apple?

I wonder how many other 867mhz users experience this problem? Or was it just a problem with the 733 and DP 800 models? (I'd find that hard to believe.) Are all the users that experience this using a certain type of video card? (I've got the GF3). All superdrive users? I'm just thinking there has to be some sort of common thread, since I seem to be in the minority...
The Quintessential Featherhead.

Nyuni
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2002, 11:49 PM

Everyone says they have this problem, but I've yet to experience it with my QS 867 machine. Maybe I got the magic box off the line from Apple?

I wonder how many other 867mhz users experience this problem? Or was it just a problem with the 733 and DP 800 models? (I'd find that hard to believe.) Are all the users that experience this using a certain type of video card? (I've got the GF3). All superdrive users? I'm just thinking there has to be some sort of common thread, since I seem to be in the minority...
The Quintessential Featherhead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules