Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 movies

10.2 movies
Archangel
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 06:40 AM

Macrumors has some movies available for d/l from 10.2. Better get them before they're pulled. It includes 4 movies, 2 pics, and 2 text files.

[removed]

[ 01-29-2002: Message edited by: gorgonzola ]

RealMadrid
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2002, 07:37 AM

Seems as if sprin loaded folders are comming back. Also the open with contextual menu is a good idea. Did not quite understand the meaning of the finder alert.

Also the version seems old as the modification dates are 12.12.01.

Regards
Check out www.basasoft.com products:
CodeLine (Do Cocoa programming in BASIC)
BasaOne 2.0
AFDragHandler 1.1
BasaOne Web Classes

kovacs
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 07:56 AM

Thank You, you made my day...
I notice that the spinning beachball now has an arrow attached to it and that you can turn of the preview in the finder...nice

dark3lf
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 09:19 AM

The "6B11" build number is accurate though, isn't it?

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 25, 2002, 09:24 AM

Those movies were made before Christmas.

EddieDesignsDotCom
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 25, 2002, 10:26 AM

cool spring loaded folders. no sign of labels yet? need MORE improvements and features to warrant a 10.2 !
http://www.EddieDesigns.com
htttp://www.MasterAtWork.com
-------------
Yeah Right!?
:rolleyes:

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 25, 2002, 10:28 AM

Those are kida piddly changes for a big release.

Iguana: The other green meat.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 10:49 AM

Those are kida piddly changes for a big release.
Well, as has been noted, these movies were made before Christmas (so they're over a month old). Certainly, 10.2 contains new stuff by now.
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 25, 2002, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by Oneota:
<STRONG>

Well, as has been noted, these movies were made before Christmas (so they're over a month old). Certainly, 10.2 contains new stuff by now.</STRONG>
I hope you are right. If they are just adding the stuff that OS9 has and OSX is missing are we really gaining anything? I want some fancy new features and SPEED!

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 11:00 AM

I doubt that is all there is to 10.2. If so, it would hardly warrant the full point upgrade. I'm sure there is some stuff that just hasn't been folded in yet.

While I welcome the pointer addition to the beach ball (or was that an artifact), I have to wonder why they didn't make the ball smaller and put it at the base of the pointer. As it looks in the movies, it is just ugly: nothing more than a pointer put on top of the beach ball! Nevertheless, I think it is important for them to make some change as I find many people who don't realize they can do something else while the beach-balled app is choking.

kman

man0
Jan 25, 2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by ChaChi Boy:
<STRONG>

I hope you are right. If they are just adding the stuff that OS9 has and OSX is missing are we really gaining anything? I want some fancy new features and SPEED!</STRONG>
Well i think you all should look at darwin bugtraq to understand how they are working....lots of bugs to be fixed but lots of enhancements projected to be merged into 6bxx builds
------&gt;man0

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 11:01 AM

Originally posted by ChaChi Boy:
<STRONG>

I hope you are right. If they are just adding the stuff that OS9 has and OSX is missing are we really gaining anything? I want some fancy new features and SPEED!</STRONG>
Of course we gain something when OS 9 features are added to OS X. I use OS X only and so features brought over from OS 9 are new features. Besides, don't forget that the initial set of features (the ones over the last year) are primarily to make OS X as useful as OS 9 is today - plus a little extra. I don't expect the Earth to shake until later this year. Did anyone else notice that when the Finder preview was turned off the items took just as long to appear as they did before? There is no reason for a multi-second delay just to update a name, date and file size. I think that in that particular build the preview was being generated and then not shown - why else would the spinning *disk* (why can't we get away from this beachball thing - it is obviously NOT a beachball!) show up for a simple selection?

Further evidence that the previews are being generated even when the preview is turned off is that the preview triangle pops the preview up instantaneously - no delay. It is possible that they are generating the preview on a separate thread and that thread is somehow changing the cursor to the spinning wheel while the Finder is specifying it as the arrow - just a thought.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: absmiths ]

The Dude
Banned
Jan 25, 2002, 11:03 AM

I've got that sneaking suspiscion that this is bull.

In one of the text files, it hast the output of "hostinfo" from the terminal. The kernal version is 1.6 for that supposed build....but we're already at 5.2!

hmmmmmmm

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by The Dude:
<STRONG>I've got that sneaking suspiscion that this is bull.

In one of the text files, it hast the output of "hostinfo" from the terminal. The kernal version is 1.6 for that supposed build....but we're already at 5.2!

hmmmmmmm</STRONG>
The copy I have specifies it as 1.4, which is definitely weird - but wouldn't that be something that would be REAL easy to fake? If that were the true kernel version, where could they even get a copy to run the fake demo on? Could this correspond to the current version of Darwin which is 1.4.1? Here is my 10.1.2 info:

Darwin Kernel Version 5.2:
Fri Dec 7 21:39:35 PST 2001; root:xnu/xnu-201.14.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC

So everything jives up except the version number (although there are only 5 days between the two).

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 25, 2002, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by absmiths:
<STRONG>So everything jives up except the version number (although there are only 5 days between the two).</STRONG>
Somebody appears to have missed the publications and discussion threads on the change in version numbering of Darwin kernels in December...

-c.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 11:24 AM

<STRONG>
why can't we get away from this beachball thing - it is obviously NOT a beachball!

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: absmiths ]</STRONG>
Because there is absolutely nothing interesting about a spinning disc. A beachball connotes fun and excitement. A beachball allows you to drift off into a daydream about the white sandy beaches of Hawaii while you wait for your snappy multitasking OS to do whatever it is doing. A spinning disc just goes 'round and 'round: boring.

Considering all the talk about theming around here, the only theme I want is one that changes the beach ball into the dogcow. Now that would be exciting!

kman

absmiths
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by kman42:
<STRONG>

Because there is absolutely nothing interesting about a spinning disc. A beachball connotes fun and excitement. A beachball allows you to drift off into a daydream about the white sandy beaches of Hawaii while you wait for your snappy multitasking OS to do whatever it is doing. A spinning disc just goes 'round and 'round: boring.

kman</STRONG>
That's pretty dumb. Why call it an OS? Let's call it a Condominium... that connotes fun and the like. Come to think of it, why should I call it a laptop? I'll call it a knee-board instead - that way everyone will know what I am talking about.

Do you call your mouse a guinea pig?

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jan 25, 2002, 02:14 PM

<STRONG>While I welcome the pointer addition to the beach ball (or was that an artifact),</STRONG>
The pointer is has not changed in 10.2. You only see the pointer overlay the spinning disc because those movies were captured with Snapz Pro X.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

SYN
Senior User
Jan 25, 2002, 03:11 PM

I'm pissed at MacRumors.

They could have at least hosted the archive... They're just in it for the hits, without paying the bandwidth...

And I'm hosting those vids for them.

A$$holes

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: SYN ]
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 25, 2002, 03:27 PM

Maybe there'll be a 10.1.3 first. I think that 10.2 may be released at MWNY. I hope sooner, but we'll have to wait and see.

Spring loaded folder yes, but what about windowshade? I've got Win...X but if is does get implemented into the OS, I hope this hack doesn't mess things up.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 25, 2002, 03:57 PM

No, no, no...we will get a PREVIEW of 10.2 at MW and then be told it will be out in a few months for the low upgrade cost of $20 S & H through the Apple Store...

kman42
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2002, 04:09 PM

<STRONG>

That's pretty dumb. Why call it an OS? Let's call it a Condominium... that connotes fun and the like. Come to think of it, why should I call it a laptop? I'll call it a knee-board instead - that way everyone will know what I am talking about.

Do you call your mouse a guinea pig?</STRONG>
Wow man, you take things really seriously. We all know it is an optical disc left over from NeXT days, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a stupid cursor. What does an optical disc have to do with an unresponsive app? Nothing, it may as well be a beachball.

kman

ChaChi Boy
Senior User
Jan 25, 2002, 04:13 PM

Originally posted by SYN:
<STRONG>I'm pissed at MacRumors.

They could have at least hosted the archive... They're just in it for the hits, without paying the bandwidth...

And I'm hosting those vids for them.

A$$holes

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: SYN ]</STRONG>
Keep changing the URL and tell them not to direct link.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 25, 2002, 06:20 PM

<STRONG>The copy I have specifies it as 1.4, which is definitely weird - but wouldn't that be something that would be REAL easy to fake? If that were the true kernel version, where could they even get a copy to run the fake demo on? Could this correspond to the current version of Darwin which is 1.4.1?</STRONG>
You see what you get for not having a clue?
They haven't moved the kernel version over to 6.0 yet, 1.4 is still the version in xnu/bsd/conf right through to xnu-222 (and probably later, xnu-222 is the latest tag in anoncvs though), except for the xnu-201.14 and xnu-201.5 branches, which were changed to be 5.2 and 5.1 respectively.

And yes, this is relatively easy to fake. There is even a shell script for updating the version number in the xnu source.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Angus_D ]

moreno
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2002, 02:15 AM

ummh... notice the &lt;b&gt;font tracking&lt;/b&gt; on Finder Windows. Cool!
in the Finder Preferences movie, i only saw the way to set the delay of the Spring Loaded folders... i want more videos! i want to see the spring loaded folders on X in action

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2002, 11:45 AM

Anyone notice how the background are too white. ie look at the menu bar in the version vid. It has no stripes and is white.

Maybe this is just the compression though..

Cheers Edd

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2002, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by man0:
<STRONG>

Well i think you all should look at darwin bugtraq to understand how they are working....lots of bugs to be fixed but lots of enhancements projected to be merged into 6bxx builds</STRONG>
Anyone have a link for this bugtraq?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 26, 2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Brazuca:
<STRONG>Anyone have a link for this bugtraq?</STRONG>
http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/bugs.html
It's probably not wise to interpret what you read unless you know what you're talking about

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2002, 02:26 PM

Originally posted by edddeduck:
<STRONG>Anyone notice how the background are too white. ie look at the menu bar in the version vid. It has no stripes and is white.

Maybe this is just the compression though..</STRONG>
It's the compression, Sorenson 3 always increases the contrast a little and I've noticed that the Aqua stripes go away real fast even on the highest quality settings. Check out the Disk Copy movie, the stripes are barely visible in the main window, but once he opens up the About window, you can see the stripes when the shadow is over them.

What is this "font tracking" that moreno mentioned?

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

edddeduck
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by SS3 GokouX:
<STRONG>

It's the compression, Sorenson 3 always increases the contrast a little and I've noticed that the Aqua stripes go away real fast even on the highest quality settings. Check out the Disk Copy movie, the stripes are barely visible in the main window, but once he opens up the About window, you can see the stripes when the shadow is over them.

What is this "font tracking" that moreno mentioned?</STRONG>
cheers that what I thought...

Edd

c0rvette
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 26, 2002, 02:30 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
<STRONG>
http://www.opensource.apple.com/projects/bugs.html
It's probably not wise to interpret what you read unless you know what you're talking about </STRONG>
the latest version i see is 6B26
spam, this means nothing

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 26, 2002, 03:07 PM

Are these the same movies that Xeo posted in another thread?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

bluetooth
Forum Regular
Jan 26, 2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
<STRONG>Are these the same movies that Xeo posted in another thread?</STRONG>
yes i believe so
All those who believe in psychokinesis raise my hand.

retroneo
Jan 27, 2002, 12:49 AM

<STRONG>

Wow man, you take things really seriously. We all know it is an optical disc left over from NeXT days, but that doesn't change the fact that it is a stupid cursor. What does an optical disc have to do with an unresponsive app? Nothing, it may as well be a beachball.

kman</STRONG>

A well coded app should never get given the spinning disc cursor. It means it has been unresponsive for 2 seconds and is given by the OS. If an app is busy it should do its own busy cursor like a watch or beachball, not appear as dead to the OS.

arn
Jan 27, 2002, 01:25 AM

Originally posted by SYN:
<STRONG>I'm pissed at MacRumors.

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: SYN ]</STRONG>
Sorry about that Syn,

We just got a link to that archive, and posted it as such... we didn't know the source or the credits... I've since moved the hosting to macrumors

arn

SYN
Senior User
Jan 27, 2002, 11:22 AM

It's quite alright, I appreciate your professionalism.

So what is the font tracking all about?
Soyons R�alistes, Demandons l'impossible

Subzero Diesel949
Jan 27, 2002, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by retroneo:
<STRONG>

A well coded app should never get given the spinning disc cursor. It means it has been unresponsive for 2 seconds and is given by the OS. If an app is busy it should do its own busy cursor like a watch or beachball, not appear as dead to the OS.</STRONG>
Is it just me, or do a lot of carbon ports keep showing the disc every 5 seconds when doing things (ie Fetch, AIM, etc.)?

moki
Ambrosia - el Presidente
Jan 27, 2002, 04:21 PM

The only problem that I have with these movies/screenshots is that the person taking them tried to drag Snapz Pro X to the trash!
Andrew Welch / el Presidente / Ambrosia Software, Inc.

shellsuit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2002, 06:34 PM

<STRONG>

Do you call your mouse a guinea pig?</STRONG>
Awesome, dude. Awesome!!
DJ(n): semi-skilled machine operator

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Jan 29, 2002, 04:50 PM

Thread closed and links to 10.2 images/movies removed by request of Apple Legal.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

Forum Links
Forum Rules