Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X without Classic, Who is running OS X only?

OS X without Classic, Who is running OS X only?
FunandBlindness
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 03:28 PM

Steve says it is time for OS X as a default boot on new Macs, I say it is time to run OS X as my only OS. Is anyone else running this currently? What can I expect if I reformat and install only OS X?

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 03:30 PM

i use X 99% of he time, i have 9 ONLY to use it to run the occasion installer for games that requires a classic install and then a os X update, thats it!

palmberg
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 03:38 PM

I don't even have classic installed on my Key Lime iBook SE (466/320MB); it gets rebooted only for system software updates.

I have 9.1 running on my iMac simply because Apple doesn't offer Software Base Station support in X. Naughty Apple!
I keep the Bible in a pool of blood so that none of its words can affect me.

ndptal85
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 03:45 PM

You don't have to go thru the trouble of re-formatting. Just stop using Classic. Its not going to hurt you by remaining on the drive.
Main Computer and EyeTV 200 DVR: Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66Ghz 2GB Ram 160GB HD.
Road Warrior: MacBook White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 2GB Ram 80GB HD.
Kubuntu Book: Dell Lattitude C400 running Kubuntu Linux 6.06 1.33 Pentium 3 CPU 1GB RAM 40GB HD with Creative laptop speakers (it only has one speaker).

FunandBlindness  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 03:52 PM

Sorry, i didn't mean only no classic install but no OS9 install at all. My devices are all currently working without using 9 and I can make due with the software that is currently ported to X. Anyone running OS X without 9?

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 04:03 PM

Hi all well im running X on my pismo since the PublicBeta and i sometimes boot Classic for a couple of apps. And X and 9 are on different partitions for that added piece of mind.

aloha
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

foamy
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 04:11 PM

I use OSX 99% of the time.

I only bootup classic for DNA Strider and Photoshop. I've started using Canvas8 in lieu of PS. I like it for layout, but I haven't gotten used to it for image editing.

Danoir
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 05:00 PM

On December 12th, I completely re-formatted my drive and put only X on it. I've been 9 free for almost a month now and it feels great.

D

lookmark
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 05:10 PM

Originally posted by palmberg:
<STRONG>I don't even have classic installed on my Key Lime iBook SE (466/320MB); it gets rebooted only for system software updates.

I have 9.1 running on my iMac simply because Apple doesn't offer Software Base Station support in X. Naughty Apple!</STRONG>
Until Apple gets around to doing this... try gnat.
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...king/gnat.html

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 06:15 PM

Well until the music/audio companies port their software to OS X, I'm stuck booting into OS 9 for my sequencing/notating/editing. I use X for everything besides this, which for me is quite important.
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

DamnDJ
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 06:30 PM

I currently have two Macs. I have a G4-400 and an iBook 500. On my iBook, I don't even have classic installed. I should so I can play Snood on the airplane, but oh well..I'll live without it. On my G4-400, I have classic installed, but it's *very* rare that I use it. Only to update firmware, do a disk check, or some other random OS 9 only utility do I boot into 9 or use Classic.

slo-mo
Jan 9, 2002, 06:51 PM

I managed to use X for a week without classic, but then I had to use GoLive I've got hold of a, ehem, beta of photoshop 7.0, works great! (Yes of course I'm gonna buy it!) Other apps I use everyday include Illustrator, Entourage, iTunes and Omniweb, which all have good X ports, although Illustrator is a bit slow. I never, ever reboot into 9 anymore, but I fire up classic every once in a while.
::nuff said

derbs
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 07:22 PM

slowly transitioning on OS X full time. Only at home however.

The 2 apps I use 90% of the time at work are Dreamweaver and Photoshop, neither are here yet...

Still don't think i could go without OS 9 on a partition - for that peace of mind

btw anyone know when dreamweaver is going to be X native?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2002, 07:43 PM

Why do you want to do this? Like someone already said, it won't hurt you to have Classic on your hard drive. It's not like you have to leave it running all the time. Delete it, though, and one day you may run across some app that you need to run that only runs in Classic.

Compatibiliy == good...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

rantweasel
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 9, 2002, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by FunandBlindness:
<STRONG>Steve says it is time for OS X as a default boot on new Macs, I say it is time to run OS X as my only OS. Is anyone else running this currently? What can I expect if I reformat and install only OS X?</STRONG>

Since about a week after I got my iBook. There's nothing I need from 9, and the stability, speed, and reliability of X is great, not to mention the ability to actually troubleshoot network issues, etc.

iPond317
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 9, 2002, 07:49 PM

I haven't used OS 9 since X 10.1 was released, and I am pleased to say that I don't miss OS 9 one bit. I love OS X's reliability... it's really stable. I've yet to have a kernel panic and it's never crashed on me. And since the release of 10.1, pretty much all the apps I need are now carbonized or written in Cocoa. I use my computer for surfing the Web, instant messaging, email and occasionally gaming. But I don't miss OS 9 . I just restarted my computer for the first time in seven days yesterday because OS X was starting to get a little slow. That was never possible in OS 9, it would crash by the end of day two...

My specs: TiBook 400MHz, 512MB, 10GB, Mac OS X 10.1.2
iPond317 | ODU Apple Campus Rep
"Ten years ago down by the lake I sunk my sweet love down to her watery grave." - Hello Again | DMB

Old: Apple IIc, PowerMac 7200/90, iMac Bondi Blue 233, Titanium PowerBook G4 400 - New: MacBook 2.0, iPhone 8GB, AirPort Extreme Gb, iPod 30GB 5th Gen

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2002, 07:58 PM

I use classic for Photoshop and OS9 for Norton. I don't think I could live without either one of these apps, so until they are replaced I need the old OS. Also I use Netscape 4.7 when the halfbaked OSX browsers fail me. Other than that I think I could live 100%X, but those are some BIG reasons for me!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

v0id7
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 08:41 PM

All I use OS 9 for is Reason (I use it only when inspired--&gt;rarely)
_______void_______

NeilCharter
Senior User
Jan 9, 2002, 08:51 PM

Can't remember when I booted into 9. I still use Classic cos of the following:
Endnote
Realplayer
Photoshop

DNA strider now runs in Classic fwiw. There are some other science related apps that I doubt will get updated soon.

Not much left. I spoke to the Endnote reps at a conference and they gave me the usual bullshit about waiting of Word X. Well it's here so these guys better get their act together. I'm not buying the upgrade until it arrives. Notice served.

Neil
If I had a signature, it would look something like this

Apfhex
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 08:55 PM

I only turn on Classic for Photoshop. GoLive 6 is out, so that will eliminate another reason for Classic, should I need to use it (for those rare moemnts I actually need to update my website, which is basically never these days, and I also I know enough HTML to do without it in most cases).

I keep telling myself that I need OS 9 installed so I can use my old SCSI scanner now and then, but the truth is that I almost never use it (it sucks anyway - I need to get a new one).

It's been a while since I've actaully booted into 9.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

goose
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 08:55 PM

What's sad about this is that it seems most of us would us OS X 100% if it wasn't for that one app! (or one and a half) I would be using OS X 100% if I didn't need OS 9 for my Formac ProTV card.

There's never enough when you have too little

Mack
Forum Regular
Jan 9, 2002, 09:50 PM

I use Classic only to run Citrix to connect to my PC at the office. 100% OS X otherwise.

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2002, 09:57 PM

i have 9.2 on a seperate partition and only use ot for RealPlayer
is there away to run classic of a Firewire drive?
if so please let me know!!!!

pelorus
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2002, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Mack:
<STRONG>I use Classic only to run Citrix to connect to my PC at the office. 100% OS X otherwise.</STRONG>
don't they have a Java2 client?

BobK
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2002, 09:43 AM

X all the way, just going to delete my 9 stuff when photoshop comes out! Can't wait!

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2002, 11:04 AM

<STRONG>Steve says it is time for OS X as a default boot on new Macs, I say it is time to run OS X as my only OS. Is anyone else running this currently? What can I expect if I reformat and install only OS X?</STRONG>
OS X native since 10.1 on mt Ti/500. No OS 9 at all and I don't miss it.

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fully dynamic web site Starting Points.[/FONT]

JoeBruin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 11:35 AM

I've been X only on my rev. A iMac since 10.1 came out. UFS too. No problems at all.

L

Jansar
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2002, 11:38 AM

Some apps have not quite made it to X. Until the day when all of the OS 9 apps make it to X, then X will be used 100% of the time. Since I use Photoshop, I need OS 9 to do that.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

Koldolme
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 12:36 PM

Threw away OS9 when 10.1 came out! I'll never go back!

John Nicholas
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2002, 12:48 PM

I've been running OS X since April with Classic on most of the time. With the Palm beta out, I've had Classic off and haven't needed it. At home my Mac usage is almost all Internet(surfing and email) and home video (iMovie) so OS X meets all my needs. I would like to see RealPlayer and a better Acrobat Reader (off topic: why does Reader launch into classic half the time I click on a pdf when it can run in OS X?)

At work (web development) I'm still in 9. I would need Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash to switch to all OS X. They all run fine in Classic but I wouldn't really gain much.

GRAFF
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2002, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Danoir:
<STRONG>On December 12th, I completely re-formatted my drive and put only X on it. I've been 9 free for almost a month now and it feels great.

D</STRONG>
Sounds like an OS X 12-step program

Elvin
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2002, 12:57 PM

I use OS X 100% of the time..who needs Classic anyway? Ok ok, so OS X still has a long way to go...but for my computer at home, it's perfefect for my use....I just hope that Apple doesn't release any more of those Flash Updates that require OS 9!

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2002, 02:00 PM

Well, yesterday I hosed my X system from 9.2 by accidently deleting some quite essential flies during a little housekeeping on my Pismo. Ended up with kernal panics halfway through the X boot, every time.

Wiped my drive and threw the X install in. It was late and I forgot the 9 install. Long story short, I am now Classic free. I would not have done it consciously, but since it happened, I am thrilled.

I'm going to try using Photoshop on the PC here on my desk at work until Adobe manages to get their act together. PShop, Toast and Palm were all I was waiting on. Dreamweaver would be nice as well, but not having it keeps me from getting lazy.

The only problem I seem to have is that Illustrator 10 refuses to install. It requires a 9 System Folder on the same drive that it is installing. I even tried custom installation that avoids the OS 9 updating. Errors and aborts install every time. Stoooo-pid. Adobe shouldn't be able to claim it's built for OS X if it requires OS 9 to install. Anyway, I may have to put 9 on for just as long as it takes to install Illustrator, then wipe it out again.

-atomium

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 10, 2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by DamnDJ:
<STRONG>I currently have two Macs. I have a G4-400 and an iBook 500. On my iBook, I don't even have classic installed. I should so I can play Snood on the airplane, but oh well..I'll live without it. On my G4-400, I have classic installed, but it's *very* rare that I use it. Only to update firmware, do a disk check, or some other random OS 9 only utility do I boot into 9 or use Classic.</STRONG>
they have snood for os X

FunandBlindness  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2002, 04:01 PM

atomium,
Thanks for the info. Is toast also limited by this? It really sucks that companies are writing OS X apps that require OS9 to install. Does anyone know the reason for this?

el_humpo
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2002, 05:28 PM

I've heard lots of people booting into OS 9 to run a disk utility. Try this instead:

Boot your machine (into OS X) while holding down Command+S. This makes the OS go into single-user mode; useful for troubleshooting problems with your machine. It won't even start the GUI, you'll get a bunch of UNIX boot messages and then a command prompt.

Now type /sbin/fsck -y to check your disk, and /sbin/reboot to reboot your machine.

The built-in disk check is free and fast...who needs Norton when you have UNIX?!
Is this rock and roll, or
a form of state control?

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2002, 05:40 PM

<STRONG>atomium,
Is toast also limited by this?</STRONG>
I had the OS 9 Toast installed on an external drive, and it found that version and installed to my Pismo internal drive no problem. Went really well and had no need for the Classic system on the same drive.

As an interesting side note, I had installed the OS 9 Toast but never run it on that drive. It doesn't ask for the serial number in 9 until first run. Not running it meant no serial had been entered. The OS X installed without caring about that and ran without asking for a number. Not so smart, Roxio...

-atomium

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: atomium ]

Marook
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2002, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Mack:
<STRONG>I use Classic only to run Citrix to connect to my PC at the office. 100% OS X otherwise.</STRONG>
Why the h... don't you use the JAVA client on X ????
Marook
At least - it's a reply...

Sharky K.
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2002, 07:04 PM

OS X only on my Pismo and G4 533 dual but OS 9 is also on my second drive in my G4. I never use it btw. (I used it for Golive but now... Golive for X, I am happy)

drmbb2
Forum Regular
Jan 10, 2002, 07:21 PM

OSX 10.1.2 is my default boot system, but I can't get rid of classic yet. There are too many apps (mostly work) that I need under classic (Corporate Time, EndNote, analyses apps like PAUP, MacClade, CLustalX, etc). It doesn't bother me, as these all run fine in classic mode, and so I still get the advantages of having OSX as my boot system.

&lt;edit&gt; To me, it's not unlike my PIII desktop system at home, where I use WINE in Linux to run some Win/DOS apps I still need or like, or even outright boot back to Win98 to play games - best of all worlds

[ 01-10-2002: Message edited by: drmbb2 ]
"No footprints when we're gone. Only where we've been, a faint and fading glow" Bruce Cockburn

Marienbad
Jan 10, 2002, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by Hi I'm Mike:
<STRONG>
they have snood for os X</STRONG>
And where do you find this? As far as the snood site is concerned it's still at 2.1.1, no mention of OS X compatibility.

As for the rest of the thread, I boot into Yellow dog but I haven't booted into 9 since god knows when . . . . I'd like PhotoShop just as many of you but I've been making do with PhotoLine and Graphic Converter.

Myrddin Emrys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 11, 2002, 12:31 AM

I only use System 9 to rebuild the directories on my Mac OS X partition from time to time, other than that, nope
If at first you don't succeed then next time use a Mac.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2002, 03:09 AM

I know this is a "...who is running X only..." thread, but I'll chime in with my "attempt" at a 9-free world. I rarely use 9 anymore. The only time 9 is booted or the Classic environment is used is if my older daughter wants to play some of her not-yet optimized kid games or if I need Photoshop, Illustrator, GoLive or LiveMotion. I know most of those Adobe apps are either out now or will be soon, but $$$ is a huge consideration...especially when I'm trying to get my mom to loan me some to buy a new iMac for my business. It's kind of hard to ask your mom for money again when you haven't lived "under her roof" for almost ten years!

Soon to be 9 free!

[ 01-11-2002: Message edited by: nigeljedi ]

The DJ
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 11, 2002, 09:42 AM

X 100%
I still have OS9 on 2 other partitions, but that is because i like to fool around with my system, and having an alternate OS to boot to in case of trouble is always handy.
I don't use Classic at all since:

Entourage v X came out.
My unsupported SCSI burner burned out on me ;-(
Divx under X is possible.

The only single time i still use OS9 is if i want to play Q3A (once a month) I don't care what they all say, but even with tweaks, it still runs better in OS9 for me.

DJ
G4/400, Rage 128 Pro, 450Mb RAM, 65G HD

Derk-Jan Hartman, Student of the University Twente (NL), developer of VLC media player

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 11, 2002, 09:54 AM

There are only two-1/2 reasons I still use 9:

DVD Studio Pro
Final Cut Pro (I haven't upgraded to 3 yet)
Photoshop (I have the latest beta, waiting for the final release)

Once I get these two apps on OS X, then I'll be using it all the time. I've already stopped playing games on my Mac since that's really what I got my PC for, so that's a moot issue.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2002, 10:43 AM

G4 Tower - 100% X, Classic is installed, but I never use it
tiBook - 100% X, 0S 9 isn't installed
Wife's new iBook - The first thing I did when I started it up was to boot into X and remove OS 9 completely. Being a somewhat new Mac user, she has never known OS 9
G4 Tower at work - as a goof I installed X two weeks ago, just to see how long I could last without rebooting into 9. I haven't gone back since.

Forum Links
Forum Rules