Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 not released at WWDC

10.2 not released at WWDC
wadesworld
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2002, 09:42 AM

Steve Jobs is keynoting WWDC, saying developers will get a "sneak peek" at 10.2.

That all but assures it will not be released at WWDC and is more likely to be released at MWNY.

Wade

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2002, 09:45 AM

I don't think anyone was seriously expecting it to come out at WWDC, despite some heroic attempts at parsing "sneak peak" to mean "play around with it in a developer session two days before it's released to the public."
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2002, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by wadesworld:
<STRONG>Steve Jobs is keynoting WWDC, saying developers will get a "sneak peek" at 10.2.</STRONG>
Yeah, this is a pretty big bummer for me... I'm an update junkie... but I'm ok with it too. I'm sure there is a reason it is taking them this long. There is good news to come from this and that is that we might start seeing builds of it "floating around"

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fully dynamic web site Starting Points.[/FONT]

Colonel Panic
Senior User
Apr 15, 2002, 10:06 AM

Well, it won't be released at WWDC but we'll learn a lot about it and I'll bet that newer builds begin to leak ....

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2002, 10:50 AM

Be sure to take your iPods and empty CDs along.
weird wabbit

miligo
Apr 15, 2002, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by theolein:
<STRONG>Be sure to take your iPods and empty CDs along.</STRONG>
great suggestion...I'll do just that!

smart
Apr 15, 2002, 04:03 PM

And Carbon Copy Cloner for the iPod.....

omac
Banned
Apr 15, 2002, 04:05 PM

perfection takes time...

juanvaldes
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 15, 2002, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by omac:
<STRONG>perfection takes time... </STRONG>
indeed.

If X.2 was released at WWDC it would be 7 months from X.1's release. Which came out some 5 months after X.0

But if it does come out @ MWNY (which I feel is most likely, I am betting developers get to see it for the 3 months or so between, thus leaked builds ) that will be come 10 months of development time.

god I can't wait!
The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it always to be kept alive.
- Thomas Jefferson, 1787

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2002, 04:24 PM

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's hypotheses on the issue of whether or not (or maybe just "how much") Apple will charge for an OS X 10.2 update?
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

wadesworld  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2002, 04:32 PM

Just out of curiosity, what are everyone's hypotheses on the issue of whether or not (or maybe just "how much") Apple will charge
for an OS X 10.2 update?
I could forsee a charge of some sort. Maybe $49 upgrade.

I certainly hope so. I'm not sure I could stand it if I didn't have to listen to all the "it should be free" whiners.

Wade

BTP
Mac Elite
Apr 15, 2002, 07:50 PM

I bet it will be $20, with no discount for whining.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

zerologic
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 15, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by wadesworld:
<STRONG>I could forsee a charge of some sort. Maybe $49 upgrade.

I certainly hope so. I'm not sure I could stand it if I didn't have to listen to all the "it should be free" whiners. </STRONG>
You hit that nail on the head. It should be free because OS X is still in beta and still isn't of "release quality" don't you know? (I'm seriously joking by the way)

[FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Fully dynamic web site Starting Points.[/FONT]

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Apr 15, 2002, 08:53 PM

Since the next OS X installment is code-named "Jaguar", I'm hoping that means it's going to be a bit faster. Or maybe it will come with a kitty. Or a shiney car that needs fixing every other day? We shall see.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2002, 12:09 AM

I've heard here and there that the goal of 10.2 is feature parity with OS 9: springy folders, labels, usb printer sharing, and other niceties like that (along with a little more optimization). If that turns out to be the case, I can't picture Apple charging for it more than a $20 s/h fee. 10.5, when it comes, will probably be a full-price upgrade.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

JohnD
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2002, 05:33 AM

If it brings enough bang for the buck Apple can charge for this update.
If you want to keep whining about free updates go Linux.
I don't mind if Apple charges $49 for a 10.2 update if it really makes a difference.
At this moment OS X is very workable for me and I'm almost out of classic.
PhotoShop and Outlook are the only two apps I use in classic.
Most whining about the bugs comes from people who seem to be searching for bugs all day without doing anything productive and without the creativity to look for workarounds.
This is not the situation for all users, I know, because there are a few serious bugs left but lot of problems I read here are due to not knowing what people are doing with their OS and it will stay that way long beyond OSX 12.9. Look at Windows and how many people reinstall their OS every three weeks or so.
I use one machine solely the way Apple wants it and it is functioning 99.7%, no panics, no crashes whatsover.

--Helen--
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2002, 09:22 AM

10.1.4 might be released at WWDC.

Will 10.2 be released at Macworld NY?

cowerd
Senior User
Apr 16, 2002, 09:41 AM

Most whining about the bugs comes from people who seem to be searching for bugs all day without doing anything productive and without the creativity to look for workarounds.
This is not the situation for all users, I know, because there are a few serious bugs left but lot of problems I read here are due to not knowing what people are doing with their OS and it will stay that way long beyond OSX 12.9. Look at Windows and how many people reinstall their OS every three weeks or so.
I use one machine solely the way Apple wants it and it is functioning 99.7%, no panics, no crashes whatsover.
Are you trying to troll, or you just a fscking idiot?
My creative workarounds are to NOT use the Finder and to NOT use Print Center, because Apple obviously intended for us not to use them.

So many problems from people not knowing what to do with their OS? Yeah thats a really good sign for a consumer OS that is being sold in the hottest consumer computer ever released.

Back to your hole.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

P
Apr 16, 2002, 10:11 AM

Originally posted by --Helen--:
<STRONG>10.1.4 might be released at WWDC.
</STRONG>
It might be here sooner. There is no reason to announce it or at all, and it woudl in fact be good if it was out some time before so Apple's servers are free for everyone who wants to download the updated Developer Tools Apple will (hopefully) release att WWDC. Those packages weigh in at 200+ megs.

Originally posted by --Helen--:
Will 10.2 be released at Macworld NY
[/QB]
I'm not sure it will be released as such there, but I'm betting it will be announced - meaning "this is the new features, you can get the discs in a month or so". Afterall, when was 10.0 released? 10.1?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

--Helen--
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 16, 2002, 11:18 AM

What I would really like is Acrobat's distiller for OS X. I'm sick of running it in classic.

Skywalker
Apr 16, 2002, 04:38 PM

indeed.

If X.2 was released at WWDC it would be 7 months from X.1's release. Which came out some 5 months after X.0

But if it does come out @ MWNY (which I feel is most likely, I am betting developers get to see it for the 3 months or so between, thus leaked builds ) that will be come 10 months of development time.

god I can't wait!
I think 10.2 will be a much bigger improvement from 10.1 than 10.1 was over 10.0. Not only did they have a little more time, but all the dev tools and documentations have improved, all the Apple devs are more experienced, and the machines are faster.

Can't wait to see what comes out!!!
iBook 600, 384MB RAM, 30GB HD
OS 10.1.4/9.2.2

Forum Links
Forum Rules