Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Does Jaguar have IPSec + IPv6 or not ??

Does Jaguar have IPSec + IPv6 or not ??
Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2002, 02:47 PM

Has anyone found any options, within e.g. the Networking system preference pane for either of these ?

If you are running a newer build, how about popping open terminal, and grabbing a screenshot of the following two commands:

ifconfig -a
uname -a

Many thanks,

B/

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2002, 04:13 PM

From 6C87:
ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=8049<UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST> mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
gif0: flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0<> mtu 1280
en0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,M ULTICAST> mtu 1500
inet6 fe80::203:93ff:fe06:ad48%en0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x4
inet 207.28.94.60 netmask 0xffff0000 broadcast 207.28.255.255
ether 00:03:93:06:ad:48
media: autoselect (100baseTX <half-duplex&gt status: active
supported media: none autoselect 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex> 10baseT/UTP <full-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <half-duplex> 100baseTX <half-duplex,hw-loopback> 100baseTX <full-duplex> 100baseTX <full-duplex,hw-loopback>

uname -a
Darwin ************** 6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 6.0: Sun Jun 30 16:10:28 PDT 2002; root:xnu/xnu-322.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2002, 04:38 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Thinine:
<strong>From 6C87:
ifconfig -a
lo0: flags=8049&lt;UP,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,MULTICAST&gt; mtu 16384
inet6 ::1 prefixlen 128
inet6 fe80::1%lo0 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x1
inet 127.0.0.1 netmask 0xff000000
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">So, IPv6 made it in there.... at least in the kernel you're running....

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">
<strong>
gif0: flags=8010&lt;POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST&gt; mtu 1280
stf0: flags=0&lt;&gt; mtu 1280
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Hmmm. Looks like *all* the IPv6 stuff made it in there too.
Tunneling is in there ! gif0 is a point-to-point interface used by BSD for IPv6 over IPv4 tunelling. Cool.
And Six to Four transition is in there (the stf0 interface)

[ </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"><strong>
uname -a
Darwin ************** 6.0 Darwin Kernel Version 6.0: Sun Jun 30 16:10:28 PDT 2002; root:xnu/xnu-322.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Thanks, It turned out this wasnt relevant. I guess now I just want to know about IPSec !

Ummm. Is there an /etc/isakmpd directory on that build ?

Ben.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2002, 04:43 PM

This is the only thing I could find in MacHelp about IPSec.

AirPort is compatible with Windows clients that use PPTP (Point to Point Tunneling Protocol) style VPN (Virtual Private Network). It is also compatible with IPsec (IP security protocol) without authenticated headers.

The directory you mentioned isn't there.

twinkler
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2002, 04:48 PM

How do we use the VPN client in Jaguar? There is a GUI front end for it isn't there? I hope and pray that I do not have to open the terminal to get my VPN connection to work.If there is a GUI for it, can someone post a screenshot? Thanks.

I am really glad that VPN (in one way or another) is making its way into OS X. Now I can finally delete classic off my FP iMac.

Mmmmm....floor pie.
~Homer Simpson

Thinine
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2002, 05:03 PM

If I really knew what VPN was I think I would be able to tell you. But since I don't, I really can't. I know that you can share an internet connection through ethernet and AirPort but I'm not sure if thats VPN.

piracy
Mac Elite
Jul 11, 2002, 05:12 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by twinkler:
<strong>How do we use the VPN client in Jaguar? There is a GUI front end for it isn't there? I hope and pray that I do not have to open the terminal to get my VPN connection to work.If there is a GUI for it, can someone post a screenshot? Thanks.

I am really glad that VPN (in one way or another) is making its way into OS X. Now I can finally delete classic off my FP iMac.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">There is a GUI. It basically has fields for VPN server, username, and password. That's it. It is **PPTP ONLY**. It does NOT do IPsec.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 11, 2002, 06:44 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by piracy:
<strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by twinkler:
<strong>How do we use the VPN client in Jaguar? There is a GUI front end for it isn't there? I hope and pray that I do not have to open the terminal to get my VPN connection to work.If there is a GUI for it, can someone post a screenshot? Thanks.

</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">There is a GUI. It basically has fields for VPN server, username, and password. That's it. It is **PPTP ONLY**. It does NOT do IPsec.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">If they don't have IPSec VPN stuff in the Jaguar builds yet, I'm 90% sure they'll have it by the final release.

Why? Because IPSec is, among other things, part of the IPv6 standard. So almost all the code they need for it should already be done, if all the IPv6 stuff is in the OS at this point.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure it'll be in there if it's not already.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 11, 2002, 07:14 PM

From what I've heard, IPv6 and IPSec are compiled into the kernel by default in Jag. Don't known if they plan on exposing IPSec in the GUI, but all of the BSD tools should be there.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

fmalloy
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 11, 2002, 07:59 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<strong>Hmmm. Looks like *all* the IPv6 stuff made it in there too.
Tunneling is in there ! gif0 is a point-to-point interface used by BSD for IPv6 over IPv4 tunelling. Cool.
And Six to Four transition is in there (the stf0 interface)</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Yeah, but does it support the Twenty-five or Six to Four variation (Chicago interface?)

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Brit Ben  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 12, 2002, 12:37 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Millennium:
<strong>If they don't have IPSec VPN stuff in the Jaguar builds yet, I'm 90% sure they'll have it by the final release.

Why? Because IPSec is, among other things, part of the IPv6 standard. So almost all the code they need for it should already be done, if all the IPv6 stuff is in the OS at this point.

I could be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure it'll be in there if it's not already.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Absolutely correct about it being a part of v6. At least the AH + ESP parts are there. These will be in the kernel. I doubt at this late stage that there will be a GUI or preference pane for controling IPsec. The lack of the directory above concerns me, since this is where configuration for the key exchange protocols goes. It will be relatively easy to hack up a GUI preference pane if all the KAME tools make it out with the Jaguar distribution.

Anyway, progress. Albeit a little slow.

Ben.

dkephart
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2002, 12:24 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Brit Ben:
<strong>[QUOTE]Originally posted by Millennium:
[qb]If they don't have IPSec VPN stuff in the Jaguar builds yet, I'm 90% sure they'll have it by the final release.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">One thing people smarter than me can check out-- Restart you Jag build with comand-option-v to start up in verbose mode -- you get all the status messages instead of the welcome to mac screen. If you look through these I know there are a couple of things related to IPSec, but I don't know what they mean.

My other question is, with IPSec in the new kernel, will we be able to set up OS X as a VPN gateway? I have been using vtun for this, but it's not very elegant. I was thinking of a VPN server a la Free S/WAN? Anyone know if that will be possible? I basically just need to be able to tunnel into a private LAN and use timbuktu to help people troubleshoot... Hoping 10.2 server will help me out here.

As always, any insight is appreciated.
- David Kephart
AIM: TheKephart

Forum Links
Forum Rules