Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2 by MWNY?

10.2 by MWNY?
Colonel Panic
Senior User
Feb 7, 2002, 11:53 AM

and will quartz have signficant gpu acceleration?

inquiring minds want to know...

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2002, 12:08 PM

Oh I hope so...MWNY will be hopefully the latest release of 10.2.....
March is 12 o'clock on the ol OS X clock (gawd I can't believe it's been almost a year since I went out to buy X), what did Jobs say happens at 12? I forget..

intastella
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2002, 12:35 PM

He turns into a pumpkin and we all get what we asked for in OS X

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2002, 12:38 PM

I would hope they could have it out the door before July. How long did we wait between the first leaked Puma builds and the final release of 10.1?
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2002, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
<STRONG>and will quartz have signficant gpu acceleration?

inquiring minds want to know...</STRONG>
Did you miss the press release that Apple put out about 10.2 features and release date?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2002, 01:09 PM

I think we'll get it in March. March is 10 o'clock, and we are about to get 10.1.3. The x.x.3 has always been the last before a 10.x update. March Tokyo seems likely to me.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

dtriska
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2002, 01:11 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:
<STRONG>I think we'll get it in March. March is 10 o'clock, and we are about to get 10.1.3. The x.x.3 has always been the last before a 10.x update. March Tokyo seems likely to me.</STRONG>
Ever heard of 10.0.4?

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2002, 01:45 PM

I think we'll get it in March. March is 10 o'clock
March is 10? 10.0 came out last March, so wouldn't that make this March 12 o'clock (12 months)?

Liquidity X
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2002, 02:56 PM

Think apple will drop the ball again when and if they add GPU support to the UI by only supporting the newest cards? or will they go back to say the original radeon and GF 2? maybe even back further? justa thought.

AIOg3guy
Feb 7, 2002, 03:40 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
<STRONG>Think apple will drop the ball again when and if they add GPU support to the UI by only supporting the newest cards? or will they go back to say the original radeon and GF 2? maybe even back further? justa thought.</STRONG>
OMG, please don't even say that. Someone might hear you! I at least what SOME acceleration on my iBook 600, or its going to Ebay and I'm getting something that has some decent acceleration (new iMac maybe?)

-AIOg3guy

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2002, 03:59 PM

Originally posted by Andrew 8808:
<STRONG>

March is 10? 10.0 came out last March, so wouldn't that make this March 12 o'clock (12 months)? </STRONG>
hehe, typo, I meant March is 12 o'clock

dtriska - shhhh! I still think March.

motti
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2002, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Liquidity X:
<STRONG>Think apple will drop the ball again when and if they add GPU support to the UI by only supporting the newest cards? or will they go back to say the original radeon and GF 2? maybe even back further? justa thought.</STRONG>
Please don't say that...if it happens, i'll learn some voodoo to do exactly what intastella would like to see: jobs turning into a pumpkin!!
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

DannyVTim
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 7, 2002, 08:45 PM

By 12 O'clock we have left classic behind. I think Steve needs to have his watch sent out for repairs, but things are moving along. Hopefully, the speed problems will end and make X a viable choice.
Dan

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2002, 08:56 PM

Originally posted by motti:
<STRONG>

Please don't say that...if it happens, i'll learn some voodoo to do exactly what intastella would like to see: jobs turning into a pumpkin!!</STRONG>
No need to use voodoo, calm down. The "old" 128-bit graphic cards will be supported. This is of course because even though 'ol Steve want's to sell new Macs, his beloved OS X must get a general acceptance and goodwill.

Unless the iBook will suddenly be introduced with gforce2go. Although, that card is no more technically advanced than the 128-rage mobility.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2002, 09:20 PM

I've seen and used a build of 10.2, and all I can say is don't hold your breath for speed increases. It appears that there will be A LOT of new features/fixes, but the speed is actually a little slower than 10.1.2 right now. I'm guessing that this will be fixed by the time it's released, though...

All glory to the hypnotoad.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2002, 09:23 PM

Jeez Louiese!!!

Can you say "10.2 is not ready for release".
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2002, 09:44 PM

10.1.3 is still being tested (a new seed just went out) which means it may not be out for another week or so.

10.1.3 =&gt; mid to late February
10.2 =&gt; March? Highly doubtful.

kulverse
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 7, 2002, 10:32 PM

I've used Build 6B11(the famous first screenshots build), which is a very very early build, (I mean Spring-loaded folders option is there, but doesnt even actually work....that old). Anyway this is the build that is out there more often than not. It is incredibly slow and still has no Quartz acceleration. but that doesn't mean that in the coming months they won't add new stuff. the "new feature" list on Build 6B11 is very.....ummmm......boring and lacking. There is some cool stuff there, but enough to make it a .2 release IMHO. I'm hoping for, at least Labels to be added and some sort of this rumored Quartz acceleration.

This is why Apple doesnt release developer builds to the public. They are not complete.

[ 02-07-2002: Message edited by: kulverse ]

HamSandwich
Feb 7, 2002, 10:38 PM

Hi,
we had to wait 3 months from the first Puma leaks to the final 10.1. Just the time between July and September...

It they announce it in March and bring it in July, no problem on my side
Steve

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2002, 12:07 AM

Could happen by NY but doubtful since 10.1.3 still hasn't been officially released yet and Jobs said there would be 4 updates before 10.2
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 8, 2002, 12:11 AM

OK, so uh, what happens at 12 o'clock, err, March...what did Steve say happens then? I forget

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2002, 12:16 AM

FYI, 6B11 is just a few days shy of being three months old. I think they are far beyond that by now.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

MS
Forum Regular
Feb 8, 2002, 04:39 AM

Too be honest with you, I hope it doesn't come out anytime soon, because like most of you I HAVE to have the latest and greatest, and it will probably be another non-downloadable update, which I have to pay $19.95 for, then I'll get pissed because I have to send away for it, and wait for it.

What I want is some 3rd party stuff:
Avant Go
Real Audio

and some updates to some other apps:

imovie 2 for X - the stupid spinning ball when the Sony DVMC-DA1 is hooked up. Annoying as hell.
Airport Software base station - come on Apple, get on the freaking ball. Don't really want to spend $300 on a base station.

MS

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2002, 05:18 AM

Originally posted by typoon:
<STRONG>Jobs said there would be 4 updates before 10.2</STRONG>
When did he say that?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Skywalker
Feb 8, 2002, 06:31 AM

Reasons 10.2 will not be released at "12" o'clock:
- 10.1.3 is not even out yet. Even if it gets released tonight, March is too close to a minor update.
- Lack of significant progress in 6b11. It wouldn't be worth calling it a .2 release.
- We have WWDC and MWNY as key dates to release a product like this.
- The transition to X will only be complete if Photoshop is released. 10.1.3 is good enough as far as OS is concerned.

I'm really hoping Aqua will be hardware accelerated. Apple doesn't need to write specifically for a certain GPU. If Apple changes the Aqua routines to use a GPU, then you should see an increase in performance on any machine with drivers available for the GPU (ie Apple doesn't need to write for a certain CPU in Aqua).

Then finally, I can show off OS X to my PC friend and not cringe when they say "man... it's kinda slow".
iBook 600, 384MB RAM, 30GB HD
OS 10.1.4/9.2.2

silverghost
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2002, 06:44 AM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>

When did he say that?</STRONG>
Hi i was gonna respond to the poster that said 4 updates before 10.2, but i had to second the motion and say "when did he say that?" if i recall he said 3 updates then 10.2. we're at 10.1.2 and 10.1.3 isnt ready yet, so 10.1 released, 10.1.1 update, 10.1.2 current, and when its released 10.1.3. now that looks like the three Steve was talking about after that comes 10.2.
Well i could be wrong but when 10.1 was released i could have sworn that Steve said 3 more before 10.2(during his keynote release of 10.1).
Ive been using OSX since the beta on my pismo and since 10.1 its been very workable; the pismo's got 768ram and a 48gigHD, who knows maybe all that ram and the 48gigs spinning at 5400rpm could be helping my system.

aloha

[ 02-08-2002: Message edited by: silverghost ]
"In my madness my eyes are now open"

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Feb 8, 2002, 10:37 AM

Sorry for the completely off topic post here - all but xi_hyperon can ignore it.

RE: xi_hyperon's sig about "Stop plate tectonics"

Can I just ask how exactly you plan on doing that?!
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

MasonMcD
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 8, 2002, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by Geobunny:
<STRONG>Sorry for the completely off topic post here - all but xi_hyperon can ignore it.

RE: xi_hyperon's sig about "Stop plate tectonics"

Can I just ask how exactly you plan on doing that?! </STRONG>
I think it's a jokey play on political bumper stickers.

undotwa
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2002, 06:39 AM

Originally posted by Skywalker:
<STRONG>Reasons 10.2 will not be released at "12" o'clock:
- 10.1.3 is not even out yet. Even if it gets released tonight, March is too close to a minor update.
- Lack of significant progress in 6b11. It wouldn't be worth calling it a .2 release.
- We have WWDC and MWNY as key dates to release a product like this.
- The transition to X will only be complete if Photoshop is released. 10.1.3 is good enough as far as OS is concerned.</STRONG>
1. 6B11 is over 3 and a half months old. New builds get created ever so often, and development (look at the Darwin BugTracker) is on a good pace.
2. 10.1.3 is a minor release. Releasing 10.1.3 and 10.2 close together is not farfetched.
3. Who says Apple releases OSs exclusively at MWNY/WWDC
4. Photoshop development is going well (according to ThinkSecret who probably have pirated builds of IRC or something) and it is expected to be released within a few months.

So, I think it is pretty darn likely that OS X 10.2 will be released at 12 0'Clock
In vino veritas.

cowerd
Senior User
Feb 9, 2002, 12:16 PM

6B11 is over 3 and a half months old. New builds get created ever so often, and development (look at the Darwin BugTracker) is on a good pace.

SNIP

So, I think it is pretty darn likely that OS X 10.2 will be released at 12 0'Clock
Looks like they are still only at 6B36 or so as of Jan 27. Unless numbering has changed B series builds would indicate early beta. I think its going to be later than March. There doesn't seem to be as much desperation for a real release like 10.1, and they are also synching up Darwin with FreeBSD 4.4 (?) so there is lots of internal work going on.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

kman42
Professional Poster
Feb 9, 2002, 01:17 PM

Is there any indication of new features or are we still all just waiting anxiously for spring loaded folders? I enjoy a good SLF as much as the next guy, but I've learned to live without it and it really doesn't seem all that impressive for the next big release. I'm hoping for something a bit more significant for 10.2.

kman

pat++
Mac Elite
Feb 9, 2002, 01:40 PM

I want two features :

1) Speed
2) Responsiveness

Technicolor
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2002, 04:05 PM

Just to add some fuel to the fire. There has been a lot of talk about OSX on audio software boards as of late. People are curious about drivers for USB audio devices, multi-track recording etc, etc. Someone from Tascam posted this:

"OS X is going to be an awesome OS, and very soon. Apple is presently working out some minor audio-related issues, and all estimates are that by spring (that means sometime between March and May) OS X will become OS X.2 and be fine-tuned for audio. Around that same time-frame we should see all the major DAW software migrate to OS X."

Interpret that anyway you like.

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Technicolor ]

clebin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 9, 2002, 08:57 PM

If things still aren't quite finished at 12 o'clock, will Jobs start using am and pm I wonder?
--
10.1.3 can't be far off now. I like the LDAP / AD authentication - it shows that Apple are really serious about putting Macs in corporate networks. Great stuff!

I've had a few problems since installing 10.1.2, so I'm hoping 10.1.3 will also be a good solid release.

Chris

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2002, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
<STRONG>

When did he say that?</STRONG>
During one of the Keynotes I believe MWNY or one of the ones after
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 9, 2002, 10:33 PM

If things still aren't quite finished at 12 o'clock, will Jobs start using am and pm I wonder?
Things will never be "finished". The clock represents their one year transition to MacOS X. For all intents and purposes, "12 o'clock" happened at MacWorld SW when Apple had fully transitioned to MacOS X by making it the default boot OS on all their computers. Think about it; when iDVD 2 was announced in July it was billed as "MacOS X only". When iPhoto was released it was like "MacOS 9 point who?". Even four or five months ago, it was difficult to find information about Classic MacOS products on Apple's web page.

March will be a nice little birthday for the new Mac, but the transition will be long since complete.

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 12:37 AM

Let me set some expectiations of 10.1.3. It is a fix and will not offer new feature sets or speed etc. It is a bug fix, some fine tuning and added support. Pretty much it.

10.2 is the one to make your wish list for. Me, I'll be happy to wait until the summer for 10.2, though I wish it would be sooner. Sooner, later, I don't care as much about that, as I do about having it really kick ass.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 10, 2002, 01:38 AM

Whatever build number it is, I don't care. As long as an update is Snappier then the previous one, I'm happy.
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

Andrew 8808
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2002, 01:15 PM

Didn't someone say Adobe was planning to release Photoshop in March? Maybe 10.2 and Photoshop at the same time!! Hah, wishful thinking. I don't want to get my hopes up for March, but I don't want to be negative either...*shrug*

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 01:33 PM

Maybe Adobe is/was planning on releasing Photoshop in March, but I am sure that isn't set in stone, despite what Think Secret says. There are enough screenshots and people with betas of Photoshop that we know it is well along. It agree that a combined release of 10.2 and Photoshop would really be nice, but don't count on it.

I am going on memory here, but with regard to 12:00 being this March, wasn't that whole 'clock schedule' pushed off a few months? Or was it the original schedule that was pushed off and the new timetable is the clock schedule?

edit: note to self..posts need to make sense...

[ 02-10-2002: Message edited by: BTP ]

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2002, 01:39 PM

Originally posted by BTP:
<STRONG>Maybe Adobe is/was planning on releasing Photoshop in March, but I am sure that isn't set in stone, despite what Think Secret says. There are enough screenshots and people with betas of Photoshop that we know it is well along. It agree that a combined release of 10.2 and Photoshop would really be nice, but don't count on it.

I am going on memory here, but with regard to 12:00 being this March, wasn't that whole 'clock schedule' pushed off a few months? Or was it the original schedule push off and the new timetable is the clock schedule?</STRONG>
Photoshop is moving nicely, honestly, I only see a ouple of things wrong with b51, and a few in imageready as well. Not sure how old mine is, but I don't think it's far off from complete at all, and it's fast.

As for you 12 o'clock, the otehr apple guy said in Dec or Jan that in March when X hits 12 o'clock, it will ship default. We know it's already default which I think is a good sign and I still look to March. 10.1.3 is a bug fix/camera compatibility fix and is about done. 10.2 has been circulating for a bit, and still has almost 2 months to go. I think they can finish it in time for March release.

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2002, 01:53 PM

Yeah, that is true. The beta of 10.2 is a December 11, 2001 build and I would guess that it must have come a long way in the last three months. The same goes for Photoshop, as I think the first screenshots were of b51, so they must be well beyond that to.

You're right. If they release 10.2 in late March, they do have almost 2 months, which I'd like to see them use as needed. I didn't think about it like that. Are good things coming in just a few months?

With regard to this, it is amazing to me the total lack of leaks of info and builds. Not that I want them, but it is interesting to note that. Before 10.0 and 10.1, we had builds leaking constantly with reviews, screenshots and info posted on this board quite often, now there is almost nothing. So is Apple much better at controlling leaks? Or have they always been good at controlling them and just allowed some build to leak? Just an observation that seems curious.

harp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2002, 03:00 PM

How are you guys figuring that it has been three months since 12/11? Wouldn't Jan 11th be one month since Dec 11 and Feb 11th be two months since?

OzarkMtn
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2002, 03:59 PM

I don't care about spring loaded folders or labels.

I want the audio and the sleep issues fixed on my QS DP800.
Cheers,

Just say "NO" to PLASTIC SPEAKERS!!

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2002, 01:17 AM

I don't care about spring loaded folders, labels, audio/sleep issues fixed, theme, etc

I want the spring loaded folders, labels, audio/sleep issues fixed, theme, etc

Opps, I said it twice.

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2002, 04:05 AM

Originally posted by harp:
<STRONG>How are you guys figuring that it has been three months since 12/11? Wouldn't Jan 11th be one month since Dec 11 and Feb 11th be two months since?</STRONG>
Wow. Duh. I stand corrected.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 11, 2002, 04:23 AM

I'm sure OS 10.2 won't be ready until after April. Apple still have one more version update left (10.1.4) before 10.2.

Feb: 10.1.3
March: 10.1.4
April+: 10.2

Make sense?

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 11, 2002, 11:49 PM

I hope not. The other thread wondering if we'll see 10.2 by MWT is a nice idea, but not likely. If there is no 10.2 at MWT and10.2 is to be launched at MWNY then a 10.1.4 isn't that implausible in the interim.

If they are looking for things to do, just ask around this board. We'll keep them busy.

Cellery
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2002, 12:03 AM

I just wonder what the heck Apple is going to do at MWT, since there's no hardware or 10.2. I can just see Steve announcing 10.1.3 to tepid applause and then demo-ing Photoshop or something. Maybe Apple will pull a rabbit out of its hat and surprise us all!

Forum Links
Forum Rules