Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > OS X on the Cube

OS X on the Cube
Buck_W
Senior User
Aug 7, 2002, 06:41 PM

I recently purchased a new Titanium PowerBook that came with OS X (version 10.1.2) I tried installing it on my G4 Cube 450Mhz, 256K ram, but it repeatedly encountered errors during the final phases of installation and told me to reboot.

The long and the short of it is. . . I now have partially installed components of OS X on my hard drive that I'm not sure whether or not I can trash. I would still very much like to install X, but need help on what to do?

Any suggestions? Thank you!

- Buck

Jordan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 7, 2002, 09:15 PM

Hi Buck,

I had a similar problem with both my cube and my old G3. With the G3 it turned out to be dodgy memory. Removing the culprit worked fine. Also gave me a chance to upgrade it!

With the cube it was a corrupt Hard Drive (Unfortunately, another sad Maxtor owner!! ). Make sure you run Disk Tools (or another 3rd Party app) over it first before you install.

Not sure if this recommended but after fixing the HD, I just installed again. Didn't bother about cleaning up the old stuff.

Have been runnning happily since (with the exception of my cruddy Maxtor!!! )

Hope this helps....

Jordan
iPod Photo 60GB + 1Gb iPod Shuffle + iPod/3G/15GB + iPod Mini (Silver)
24" iMac 2.8Ghz/2GB/SuperDrive
Mac mini 1.66Ghz Intel Core Duo/1GB/SuperDrive + iPod Nano (Black)

dilleet
Aug 7, 2002, 09:23 PM

It is my understanding that this Powerbook disk is specifically for the Powerbook, I've never been able to use it with my Cube. There is certain firmware and other issues.
Man is only mud that sat up
"Vonnegut"

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Aug 7, 2002, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by dilleet:
It is my understanding that this Powerbook disk is specifically for the Powerbook, I've never been able to use it with my Cube. There is certain firmware and other issues.
Thanks for the information, dilleet. I was wondering whether or not there might be some conflicts in light of the fact that it was specifically designed for the PowerBook.

Now that I have a lot of OS X files on my hard drive, do you (or anyone else) know whether I can just drag them to the trash can without creating any problems?

Thank you

- Buck

dilleet
Aug 8, 2002, 02:28 PM

The structure of OSX should have apparent elements that will show up with generic icons when running OS9, there is the:
mach_kernel (an invisible file)
* Applications (a visible folder)
* automount (an invisible folder)
* Library (a visible folder)
* System (a visible folder)
* Users (a visible folder)
be careful though, its odd that it made only a partial install, I am surprized it allowed you to install anything
Man is only mud that sat up
"Vonnegut"

Fallout
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2002, 05:57 AM

there's also etc, var, usr, bin, and a few other invisible directories.

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Aug 9, 2002, 11:01 AM

I had a lot of trouble loading OS X 10.1 onto my cubes...

I had similar symptoms to Dilleet...crashing installer, and kernal panic on start up...

A firmware upgrade fixed all my problems..and X has run in the cube ever since...

As for the Ti disks not working...I was sure that Apple abandoned 'machine specific' cd-roms a while a go...I have had a few G4s, iMacs, and a Ti over the last year or so and I'm sure that I have been able to load programs and the OS from any of the CDs I have, on any of the machines...

In fact the cube I'm on at the moment, has OS X loaded from a boxed copy, but a copy of 9.x from a Ti CD...

Strange

Marc

Buck_W  (op)
Senior User
Aug 9, 2002, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
I had a lot of trouble loading OS X 10.1 onto my cubes...

I had similar symptoms to Dilleet...crashing installer, and kernal panic on start up...

A firmware upgrade fixed all my problems..and X has run in the cube ever since...

As for the Ti disks not working...I was sure that Apple abandoned 'machine specific' cd-roms a while a go...I have had a few G4s, iMacs, and a Ti over the last year or so and I'm sure that I have been able to load programs and the OS from any of the CDs I have, on any of the machines...

In fact the cube I'm on at the moment, has OS X loaded from a boxed copy, but a copy of 9.x from a Ti CD...

Strange

Marc
Thanks Marc. That raises another question. I have done the upgrade firmware, but I am considering reformatting my hard drive when I purchase the new OS 10.2. After the reformat, will I need to upgrade the firmware again?

Thanks, Buck

Forum Links
Forum Rules