Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Root, su, sudo...

Root, su, sudo...
Daytonaaaaa
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2002, 09:29 PM

Ok I am not too familiar with unix so please bear with my ignorance...

Is it just me, or it seems any user with GID = 0(wheel), 20(staff), 80(admin) can change the root password?

And for sudo, does it ask specifically for the root password or anything else? I typed in my OWN password and it worked...? (No I am not logged in as root)

What are the differences between group Admin and Wheel?

And lastly...how can I disable root-ssh-ing? (Disable root to log in from remote)

Thanks...

Daytona

Adam E
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2002, 10:00 PM

Root is disabled in OS X and any user with Administrator privileges can execute commands requiring root permissions using sudo and their own password.

You can enable the root user a couple ways --check MacOSXHints -- and I had it enabled for a while. After over a year of using OS X, though, I can't think of a valid reason to enable it unless all you do is install software with fink or something. sudo pretty much does everything you need.

As long as you haven't enabled the root user, you can't ssh in as root--only as a user with Administrator privileges.
I'm Course VI

fitter
Senior User
Aug 19, 2002, 10:21 PM

Root's enabled, but its password is set to *, preventing traditional root logins. You can still get a root shell by typing 'sudo -s' at the prompt.

Users created in System Preferences and designated administrators are added to three groups: staff (20), admin (80) and wheel (0). Non-admin users are in staff only. If you're creating other accounts on your machine, and fear they might damage the system, don't give them admin accounts. Users in admin and wheel can execute sudo; users in staff alone cannot.

If you want to be extra careful about disabling root ssh logins, edit your /etc/sshd_config file. Look for this line:

PermitRootLogin yes

and change it to read

PermitRootLogin no

It looks like the creator of the file was careful to keep the width under 80 characters, so you can edit it safely with pico, if you must.

Once you made your changes, save the file, and restart your ssh server, if you've got it running. The easiest way to do this is simply to open the Sharing pane of System Preferences, and uncheck "Allow Remote Login", wait for it to shut down ssh, then click it again to start it up.

kvm_mkdb
Mac Elite
Aug 19, 2002, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Daytonaaaaa:
Is it just me, or it seems any user with GID = 0(wheel), 20(staff), 80(admin) can change the root password?
By default, users in the admin group (80) have access to sudo.

Check out the 'visudo' command.

OreoCookie
Aug 20, 2002, 04:52 AM

You don't have to enable anything. If your user is in the group wheel, you could always do either

sudo -s

or

sudo su

You only need the password of the user who is in the group wheel (i. e. the user that is logged in).

Works for me (I don't see any reason, why I would need a graphical login as root).
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules