Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > INTERNAL CD-RW installation?

INTERNAL CD-RW installation?
sailor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 12:02 PM

I'd like to join the CD burning fray, but don't want to add clutter to my work space...removing the zip drive on my G4(Sawtooth) would give me a drive bay to use - but, is there an internal firewire ribbon? could I use the guts of an external box (LaCie, for example) and find a bezel somewhere?

Any advice, ideas, comments are appreciated.

Thanks.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 22, 2002, 12:19 PM

The zip drive bay is too small for a CD writer.

tooki

CatOne
Mac Elite
Aug 22, 2002, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by sailor:
I'd like to join the CD burning fray, but don't want to add clutter to my work space...removing the zip drive on my G4(Sawtooth) would give me a drive bay to use - but, is there an internal firewire ribbon? could I use the guts of an external box (LaCie, for example) and find a bezel somewhere?

Any advice, ideas, comments are appreciated.

Thanks.
The internal ribbon would likely be IDE, but as tooki said you can't use the Zip bay. Is there no spare bay space on the sawtooth? You may be SOL.

marusin
Senior User
Aug 22, 2002, 02:34 PM

You can always replace your internal cd-rom (if it's dvd, you'd be giving up the dvd-rom functionality though).. Just a thought?

sailor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2002, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by marusin:
You can always replace your internal cd-rom (if it's dvd, you'd be giving up the dvd-rom functionality though).. Just a thought?
Well, that's the problem....I'd like to keep the DVD playback, but may lose it to save space (I'd rather see the DVD's on my bigscreen TV anyway). But is there a connection to FW from the mobo? I guess IDE would be OK.

What about taking apart an external drive...is that cool?

Thanks all for your comments....

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2002, 08:01 PM

Originally posted by sailor:
What about taking apart an external drive...is that cool?
you should definitely look into getting an external firewire drive. check some of the usual vendors online for the best deal. do not buy a drive with only a USB connection.

another route you can go is to install an internal burner into an existing case... this is what i did after i picked up a 40X burner at costco for CAN$100. it works perfectly in my lacie case.

-r.
( Last edited by rjenkinson; Aug 22, 2002 at 08:07 PM. )

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 23, 2002, 02:23 AM

what you can do is pick up just a bare bones IDE Cd burner, real cheap nothing over 100 bucks, and then swapit out , the DVD to the burner. done deal.

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

sailor  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 23, 2002, 10:30 AM

Thanks for all of your suggestions..I'll see what I can do with an internal IDE burner...

Forum Links
Forum Rules