Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > DP 867 w/Radeon 9000 - ADC CRT Compatable?

DP 867 w/Radeon 9000 - ADC CRT Compatable?
godzappa
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 26, 2002, 03:38 PM

Hey

I am probably going to purchase one of the new DP PowerMacs in the next week or two, I am looking at the DP 867 as it seems to have the best bang for the buck and I will probably be upgrading again next Summer.

I do however, want the Radeon 9000 as opposed to the stock GeForce 4MX thats the stock card in this config.

I have an ADC 17" Apple Studio Display CRT, does anyone know if this will work with the Radeon 9000' ADC port? The website only mentions ADC flat panels and the ATI support I emailed about this is a complete joke (referred me to the PC FAQ)

Thanks!

James

Pikachu_G4e�
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2002, 11:57 AM

for Apple's stuff ... as long as it connects ... it should works ...

Good luck!

Best regards from,
pmg4lktan
Come join me at macgo.net for more Mac-related discussions! ;)

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 01:23 PM

All adc ports are supposed to be specced to work with either display.

Just recall ADC on the 17" CRT is DVI-I on the VGA pipe, and there is no VGA/adc adapter for that model.

You can, however, eventually get someone with a bit of knowledge to rewire the monitor to support vga (but this means you'll have to plug a fat transformer brick into it).

Have fun with your new powermac, and congradulations
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Evangellydonut
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 01:24 PM

all Apple BTO machines will have ADC...and I think the old CRT port are not being replaced by DVI...otherwise, it's like $100 or so to get a ADC -> DVI adapter...
G4/450, T-bird 1.05GHz, iBook 500, iBook 233...4 different machines, 4 different OSes...(9, 2k, X.1, YDL2.2 respectively) PiA to maintain...

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 02:03 PM

I think what godzappa means is that he has one of the last-generation 17-inch CRTs with an ADC connector, which was released in the summer of 2000 at the same time as the Cube (when the 15- and 22-inch LCDs also got ADC). The one with the clear housing and the flat CRT, right? It should work fine with the Radeon ADC connector.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 03:06 PM

I have that monitor and see no reason why it will not work. The only thing one can't do with that monitor is use it with a DVI>ADC connector (either with a PCI card or dual head in the AGP slot); the CRT draws too much power.

Bums me out because it's just an exceptional monitor, and I'd love to have two of 'em running on one machine. Ahhh, what can you do?

<edited due to syntax troubles...sheesh....>
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2002, 04:24 PM

hmm can you put a 17 incher with a 15 inch LCD or somethin?
Cause I was planning on getting 2 CRT monitors to hook up to soon as I could afford it and was planning on using these... GRR

but one can still hoook up to a new one right?

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 04:43 PM

For the time being on my G4/933 (until my GF takes her G4 and 17" Apple CRT to her grad school studio), I've been using the 17" CRT on the ADC port and a 17" Sony on the VGA port--works great.

The new G4s AGP cards have an ADC and DVI ports (with a DVI>VGA adapter), so you could do the same thing with two CRTs--but not two Apple CRTs with ADC connectors. Or, for some more $$$, you can use an Apple flat panel with a DVI to ADC adapter on the DVI port because the LCDs don't draw as much power.

So, yes--an Apple 17" CRT on the ADC port and an Apple LCD (any size) on the DVI port with an DVI>ADC adapter.

(wow..that post is anacronymaniacal!)
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

godzappa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 12:14 AM

Hi Everyone

Yup Scotti's right, its the clear case 17" CRT that Apple released along with the cube then discontinued in favor of an all LCD lineup 9 months or so later, which is a shame as its a beautiful monitor.

I had bought a new Apple DVI-ADC adapter without fully checking out what it couldnt do, and didnt discover that it didnt work with this display until I got it shipped to me and opened it up and plugged it in. The adapter feeds power and the USB to the display fine but no video signal.

I was told later that this was because the adapter only carried the digital signal not both (analog and digital).

Eventually I got a reply from ATI (took 2 or 3 days of them referring me to the same FAQ), which I think clears things up somewhat, but Im not sure if his theory of the monitor itself converting the signal being correct, otherwise why wouldnt the adapter work? the ATI message for those interested is at the bottom of this post.

I may keep the adapter now, and if Apple lowers the price of its flat screens a little, get a 17" flat panel, and use the CRT on the built in ADC, and the flat panel on the DVI via the adapter.

James

ATI Message:
Regarding ADC connectors:

There should be no problem connecting the ADC equipped monitor to the ADC equipped video card. The signal from the card will be ADC digital, but the DAC in the monitor should be able to convert the signal to analog for the display.

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Aug 28, 2002, 01:27 AM

Originally posted by godzappa:
There should be no problem connecting the ADC equipped monitor to the ADC equipped video card. The signal from the card will be ADC digital, but the DAC in the monitor should be able to convert the signal to analog for the display.
If that was true than your DVI adapter would work just fine.

But it doesn't.

The ADC adapter has digital and analog, and if anything, I bet it's easier to grab an assembly piece for a diamondtron vga cable, a usb cable, and a power jack for a transformer to convert it to vga

anyway, it'll work.

BTW: The DVI to VGA adapter comes with all powermacs that have DVI out so don't worry

the ADC to VGA adapter is $40 on yahoo shopping, and made by dr. bott, so if you want dual vga, that's what you do
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

Forum Links
Forum Rules