Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail.app "On My Mac"?

Mail.app "On My Mac"?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2002, 10:00 PM

So I upgraded, and everything that was in my inbox was in an On My Mac, and new emails went to my Mac.com inbox. So I Moved all the On My Mac emails into the Mac.com mailbox. But Whenever I try to rename or Delete the On My Mac mailbox, strange things happen. can someone explain this to me?

hellohello1
Aug 26, 2002, 10:16 PM

Originally posted by l008com:
So I upgraded, and everything that was in my inbox was in an On My Mac, and new emails went to my Mac.com inbox. So I Moved all the On My Mac emails into the Mac.com mailbox. But Whenever I try to rename or Delete the On My Mac mailbox, strange things happen. can someone explain this to me?
for anyone to help you, you have to be more specific than "strange things happen."

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 26, 2002, 10:55 PM

OK i tried to re name it and it didn't rename, then every time you clicked on it, it would randomly take the name of another inbox name. I tried to delete it, and it didn't delete, but instead got a drop down triangle next to it. Clicking on the triangle did nothing, there was nothing it it, totally empty.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 26, 2002, 10:56 PM

Some related questions:

� If you've never used Mail.app before (never even opened it), does the "On My Mac" mail box get created?

� Is the "On My Mac" mailbox required? (I've deleted it, and it seems to be okay, but then I see that it's name comes up in some dialogue boxes as an option - eg, New Mailbox)

� Why is it there?

� Why does it have such a stupid name. It's almost as bad as Windows' "My Computer". We're not all morons, so please don't treat us like that, Apple.

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 11:00 PM

Originally posted by Brass:
Some related questions:

� If you've never used Mail.app before (never even opened it), does the "On My Mac" mail box get created?

� Is the "On My Mac" mailbox required? (I've deleted it, and it seems to be okay, but then I see that it's name comes up in some dialogue boxes as an option - eg, New Mailbox)

� Why is it there?

� Why does it have such a stupid name. It's almost as bad as Windows' "My Computer". We're not all morons, so please don't treat us like that, Apple.
It seems that the 'On My Mac' mailbox gets created if (and only if) you have an IMAP email account set up.

Makes sense now, right?
Let D�j� Vu take care of backing up your files.
You've got better things to do with your time.
http://propagandaprod.com/dejavu.html

kcmac
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2002, 11:14 PM

My experience is that the On My Mac is where all your emails for inbox, sent and trash are located when you initially upgrade your system.

Transfer all of the On my Mac info into the appropriate mailboxes that you either create or exist from your previous installation and then delete the on my mac mailbox.

Exit mail and then reopen it and the on my mac boxes will be gone.

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2002, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by kcmac:
My experience is that the On My Mac is where all your emails for inbox, sent and trash are located when you initially upgrade your system.

Transfer all of the On my Mac info into the appropriate mailboxes that you either create or exist from your previous installation and then delete the on my mac mailbox.

I think its presense is dependent on whether you entered your .mac info during installation (in which case an IMAP account will be set up for you in Mail), and also on whether you import any mailboxes or not.

hellohello1
Aug 27, 2002, 12:36 AM

"on my mac" is dependant on whether or not there are un-used IMAP mailboxes ....

for example, i have two imap addresses in mail. I have a drafts,inbox,sent,and deleted for both of them....i also have two folders where i archive all deleted and sent mail. right now, they aren't put under "on my mac"--but, if i create a new online mailbox in one of my IMAP accounts, and don't tell it to use it for one of the 4 functions, it will put it in a new folder (say, Mailbox2) and then move the two archive folders into an "on my mac."

if i delete the online mailbox, and thus there are no more unused online mailboxes, both folders disappear, and the archives folders are no longer under "on my mac'--they just sit at the bottom of the list.

Nathan Adams
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2002, 12:54 AM

"On My Mac" is where locally stored emails are stored.
So if you're IMAP box is getting full, but there's a heap of emails you want to keep, drag them over there and they'll stay on your HD, but get deleted from the server.

It should disappear if you have no folders inside it.. at least thats what mine does.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 01:01 AM

Originally posted by pinlo:

It seems that the 'On My Mac' mailbox gets created if (and only if) you have an IMAP email account set up.

Makes sense now, right?
NOPE. I do not have and never have had any IMAP mail. But I still got the "On My Mac" box.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 01:03 AM

Originally posted by kcmac:

This appears to be the case, but there is a problem with that.

Once you've deleted the On My Mac box, it still appears as the top-level mailbox in the pop-up in the "New Mailbox" dialogue (in fact it is the only choice). Hoever, created a new mailbox, doesn't actually put it there, but rather puts the new box at the top level.

This is very confusing.

There appears to be no way to recreate the On My Mac box after deleting it either.

pinlo
Forum Regular
Aug 27, 2002, 01:16 AM

Originally posted by Brass:

NOPE. I do not have and never have had any IMAP mail. But I still got the "On My Mac" box.
Well, I do not have and never have had any IMAP mail either, and I didn't get the 'On My Mac' mailbox until I added an IMAP account to test it.

Anyway, I don't doubt any problems you're having. There are many things about Mail that could still be better.

pobodysnerfect
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2002, 02:21 AM

this was one of my biggest complaints about upgrading to 10.2 It took my neatly ordered mailboxes and threw stuff everywhere. It took what I had in one place and put it into 3 different areas!? I had a mailbox called "work" in 10.1.5 and now some of what was in that box is in the "In" box, my "work" box and now there is a "work" folder in the "On My Mac" Looking at the messages there is no rhyme or reason to what is where, it looks like a random distribution of existing mail tossed everywhere. I am so damn confused as to what has happened that I think a clean install is in order to get everything back to some semblance of order... Other than this mess 10.2 has been great.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 27, 2002, 03:53 AM

I like a lot of the new features of Jaguar's Mail, but Mail itself has always had a strange way of dealing with folders. Folders that shouldn't appear do appear and then don't go away. The issue still hasn't been fixed through two major releases; maybe Apple doesn't realize there's a problem. I think a clear deliniation between IMAP folders and regular folders would be a good start at managing the issue, but other things must be done as well. Time for feedback!

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 27, 2002, 02:11 PM

I think every mail account should have its own main section, and in it should have one of everything, sent, deleted, inbox etc, KINDA like it was before, but a little better, and if the accounts are minimized with the triangle, clicking on the item would automatically show the inbox.
The way it is now is just strange

Forum Links
Forum Rules