Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Home Networking .. Router and Airport?

Home Networking .. Router and Airport?
zorn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 01:08 AM

Ok,

I have a cable modem coming in. Currently I plug it's Ethernet into my Airport Base station (graphite) and everything works great .. Now a windows machine enters ... (isn't this always where the trouble starts ...)

Anyways I originally tried to install an 802.11 card on the windows box to get it on the net but it never worked (my thinking is it's bad hardware cause it didn't work on three separate boxes) so now I'm thinking of hooking it up to Ethernet which it does have.

Can I buy a router and hook it up to the cable modem to split the connection with the PC and the base station.

Cable Modem
--> Router
----> PC via Ethernet
----> Airport Base Station -> Powerbook

Will this work? Suggestions? Costs?
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

derien
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2002, 01:20 AM

Can't you just connect the PC via ethernet to the base station? I don't think you need an additional router--the base station essentially is one.

zorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 01:54 AM

ABS Graphite only has an incoming Ethernet connection You're thinking of the newer ones.
~ Mike
--
Personal Site: MikeZornek.com
Other Interests: WebDevWiki.com

derien
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2002, 02:39 AM

Originally posted by zorn:
ABS Graphite only has an incoming Ethernet connection You're thinking of the newer ones.
Oops. My bad. I thought the one ethernet port meant one LAN in addition to a WAN. Well, well.

Brit Ben
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 28, 2002, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by derien:

Oops. My bad. I thought the one ethernet port meant one LAN in addition to a WAN. Well, well.
You need an ethernet hub, or switch, and you plug the cable modem into that, and the airport into that, and the other machines into that. LO, you set up airport to ethernet bridging (enable) you use the ABS to do DHCP and NAT. The public IP from the cable modem is given to the ABS, which runs NAT, and redistributes private 10. IP addresses over the same hub/switch. No router required. Some comments.... 1) make sure that if you use DHCP to give the IP addy to the ABS from the cable modem, that it is the ONLY ethernet mac address that the cable modem sees as it powers up. potentially use static addys on the 10. network.

Bleh. It works, but its messy. You save $150 on a router. YMMV.
(it slows the ABS file transfer from machine to machine to a crawl too)

Ben.

howardm4
Senior User
Aug 28, 2002, 08:15 PM

Maybe in Canada routers are $150+ plus
but here in the technologically superior
USA, they are about $35-50 and it would
make what the gentleman is trying to do
soooo much easier.

ringo
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2002, 11:54 AM

I use a linksys 4 port router/switch combo to do exactly what you are describing.

Modem ---> Router
Router --> PC Ethernet Card
AND Router --> Airport Base Station

Works fine...cost is about $50.00 at pricewatch.

zorn  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by ringo:
I use a linksys 4 port router/switch combo to do exactly what you are describing.
The orig 802.11 card I was trying to get to work was a linksys product. It took them months to come out with XP drivers, then when they did it came with instructions like:
Windows will notify you that the driver has not passed Windows logo testing. Since this product has been tested to work with Windows XP, click the Continue Anyway button.
Not surprisingly it never worked, and since it so long to try the store didn't take back the equipment (card and PCI adaptor) .. $200 down the drain

I asked my friend (a PC hardware guru) about it and he comments on related flakiness of his own linksys 802.11 stuff.

And finally, why does linysys make you use a proprietary config tool when XP has 802.11 built in?!?!

Saficly(sp?) to say, I will not be purchasing nor recommending any Linksys products anymore ...

</rant>

ringo
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2002, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by zorn:
The orig 802.11 card I was trying to get to work was a linksys product. It took them months to come out with XP drivers, then when they did it came with instructions like:Not surprisingly it never worked, and since it so long to try the store didn't take back the equipment (card and PCI adaptor) .. $200 down the drain

I asked my friend (a PC hardware guru) about it and he comments on related flakiness of his own linksys 802.11 stuff.

And finally, why does linysys make you use a proprietary config tool when XP has 802.11 built in?!?!

Saficly(sp?) to say, I will not be purchasing nor recommending any Linksys products anymore ...

</rant>
I can't comment on Linksys 812.11 products, my router isn't a wireless base station...just a router/switch...I'm using ethernet cables to connect the PC and base station to the router.

It acts as a DHCP sever, so the only configuration I remember doing to the PC was telling the ethernet card to ask for an IP address instead of manually assigning one.

Kristoff
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2002, 01:10 PM

I had a linksys WAP11 and it sucked.

My current setup is a Linksys BEFCMU10 (great cable modem) to a Linksys BEFSR41 (great router) to an Orinoco (Lucent/Agere) RG-1100 Wireless Access Point (great WAP).

I like Linksys--as you can see--and I want to go all Linksys, but their wireless products suck.

The RG-1100 is the same as the Graphite ABS, but it also supports 128-bit WEP, and you can configure it via the Apple Airport Admin Utility. I highly recommend it.
signatures are a waste of bandwidth
especially ones with political tripe in them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules