Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > All is well with Jag

All is well with Jag
SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 09:52 PM

With so many reports of installation problems and such out there, I just wanted to chime in that I love Jaguar.
Installation was quick and painless. Everything (even Help) works fine. The performance boost on my iBook 600 is nice. The refined Aqua is really great looking.
All in all, I deem Jaguar "Best OS ever."
Three cheers for the Jag!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2002, 10:18 PM

Whoa there!

We'll have none of that positive review bs on this forum.

iRei
Aug 27, 2002, 10:24 PM

Originally posted by SupahCoolX:
With so many reports of installation problems and such out there, I just wanted to chime in that I love Jaguar.
Installation was quick and painless. Everything (even Help) works fine. The performance boost on my iBook 600 is nice. The refined Aqua is really great looking.
All in all, I deem Jaguar "Best OS ever."
Three cheers for the Jag!

Cool. My G3 upgrade also went well.

Musti
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 27, 2002, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
Whoa there!

We'll have none of that positive review bs on this forum.

I concur. Please go away, come back and write about problems.

nigeljedi
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 27, 2002, 10:51 PM

Other than 1) long install, 2)no firewire target disk mode like in 10.1.5 and 3)squirrely mounting (no pun intended) of removable media i.e. SmartMedia in a Kodak multi-card reader, I love Jag, too.
I'm happy with the speed boost it gave my iBook and iMac. I like what they've done with Sherlock. Stickies prefs finally, well, "stick". Surprisingly painless import of all my Palm addresses into the Address Book app. Mail seems to work better (although I'm ditching my 2 mac.com addresses since they're charging now). iSub volume control is cool. iChat has great potential...if I can ever get any of my friends online at the same time I'm online.
I could go on, but you get the picture.
I'm happier than I am mad...

mac-at-kearsarge
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 11:18 PM

Have any of you tried networking with Windows Systems? I'm getting ready to go back for my sophmore year in college and am hoping for better file sharing experiences then last years
iGeek

torifile
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by mac-at-kearsarge:
Have any of you tried networking with Windows Systems? I'm getting ready to go back for my sophmore year in college and am hoping for better file sharing experiences then last years
It's relatively painless if you read what it tells you when you start windows file sharing (I didn't and couldn't figure out what url to put in on the windows machine. Of course, when I got back to my computer there it was, staring me in the face. Boy, I felt stupid). So, seeing your mac on a windows machine is easy. I'm not sure about going the other way, though it's always been relatively simple. It's the windows I could never figure out.

snerdini
Senior User
Aug 27, 2002, 11:39 PM

Originally posted by mac-at-kearsarge:
I have another thread floating around here on this one...think it got buried.

Good luck to you...I've had 2 KPs already when mounting Windows shares. I didn't have any using 10.1.x, so I'm not too impressed thus far...

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 11:46 PM

With all the horror stories I was hesitant installing the upgrade disk set on my flat-screen iMac.

Everything went smooth as silk, both on my G4 iMac as well as a an older G3 iMac I upgraded.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Aug 27, 2002, 11:47 PM

With all the horror stories I was hesitant installing the upgrade disk set on my flat-screen iMac.

Everything went smooth as silk, both on my G4 iMac as well as a an older G3 iMac too.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 12:12 AM

I'm a little confused by this thread. I'm not used to see more than 5 replies without someone whining. So I guess I'll provide the whining.
You guys are to posittive and I'm mad because I haven't received my copy of 10.2 yet.

RyanG3
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2002, 12:47 AM

Originally posted by torifile:

It's relatively painless if you read what it tells you when you start windows file sharing (I didn't and couldn't figure out what url to put in on the windows machine. Of course, when I got back to my computer there it was, staring me in the face. Boy, I felt stupid). So, seeing your mac on a windows machine is easy. I'm not sure about going the other way, though it's always been relatively simple. It's the windows I could never figure out.
Windows file sharing both ways works well with a pc running 98SE.
It was almost to easy...

Dang, never thought I see the day I'd type "Windows" and "easy" in the same sentence.

tetzel1517
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 01:06 AM

I'm using Jag right now and smiling while I do it....

Even though I must have screwed up in the backup process at some point, cause I can't restore my copy of Appleworks to save my life. (I have a thread going in Mac OS X Software if anyone can help.)

I love this OS... iPhoto is suddenly very usable. iChat is great and I think I'll opt to use that instead of AIM from now on. No more stupid lags after doing what should be very routine operations, like closing an IE window.

The only times I've gotten the beachball (or whatever the heck it is now) are when it was trying to do some sort of network thing, like access my iDisk. (Which it did flawlessly, I might add.)

Nice job, Apple!

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Aug 28, 2002, 09:38 PM

I regret to report that I just completed my upgrade to Jaguar...
And all is pretty neet and sweet. The installation process completed within an hour and without any problems. I did the archive and stuff installation and so far my applications seem to work fine (I still have a few to test). But generally I'm impress. An example: I really enjoyed iPhoto for the first time. No more hangup and funny business. I could never use it before on my G4 400 without swearing like a lumberjack.
Bottom word, it makes my computer feel like a new one. (The ATI 8500 I also added probably helps a little)

seanrg_2000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 28, 2002, 09:51 PM

And I thought I was the only one! After reading the various reports after having ordered Jag already, I was a bit leary on doing the upgrade. No real problems here either, other than Fire being a bit flakey (kind of expected that) and the Logitech drivers for my keyboard going kabloey. (again, expected). Other than that no problems!

Wish I did so I'd have something to complain about with the rest of the forum vistors (not!)

TheTraveller
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 28, 2002, 10:29 PM

Yep, all is really, really well with Jaguar. I didn't do an update - I backed up my home directory & applications, then I formatted the OS X partition and re-installed completely from scratch. I am amazed at how well all my applications are working - I'm only having problems with some games. Everything else is working great. I think this is a better upgrade than from 10.0 to 10.1 - maybe not quite as much of a speed boost, but the speed boost plus the numerous welcome refinements make my machine a joy to use.

For those of you with 10.1 afraid of upgrading to 10.2 - you're missing out, plain and simple.

For those of you on OS 9 or below on OS X-supported hardware, now's the time to abandon that house of cards and take a walk on the light side.

Forum Links
Forum Rules