Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > address book - why pictures (or how)?

address book - why pictures (or how)?
xanderwilson
Aug 30, 2002, 08:06 AM

So I started using my address book, and i really like the format and all. I had a few digital images of some top people, so I formatted them 64 x 64, and then I was thinking I would scan in some more. and then I thought, why?

Other than being able to click on the address book icon in mail and going there to look at the pictures, what purpose do they server? Does ANY other application use them?

I've gotten a few emails with their photograph in the top right corner of every email. I read in the Help section that that's what the address is supposed to do. But I've put pictures in the entries of people who have emailed me in the past 24 hours and their photographs don't appear in front of THEIR emails. I guess these people added vcards or something. Is that possible in Mail? Or is there a picture in the top right corner of my emails now just because I've added my own photo to the address book? If so, is there any way to disable it?

I like the idea of syncing the address book with an iPod, but I probably won't bother to try it until iCal is also out. Is there anything significant that Address Book can do NOW? And if so, is there any purpose to the pictures?

Alex.
www.telltaleweekly.org - Funding a Free Audiobook Library. Now available in AAC.
www.alexwilson.com - Alex Wilson Studios

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2002, 10:23 AM

Originally posted by xanderwilson:
Other than being able to click on the address book icon in mail and going there to look at the pictures, what purpose do they server? Does ANY other application use them?

Or is there a picture in the top right corner of my emails now just because I've added my own photo to the address book? If so, is there any way to disable it?
iChat uses those pictures, but they're overridden by default if the user chooses something else as a buddy icon.

I did a test email to myself, and it seems that adding a picture to your card does make one appear in your emails. I don't know if other people actually see that picture, though. And I don't know if you can disable that, either. It really seems like you can't...

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2002, 10:23 AM

If you iChat with someone in the Address Book, you'll their picture next to their text. That's all, I think.

Chris

Robo-X
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2002, 10:40 AM

You can save your contacts as vCards and send them to yourself or to anyone else with an email client. If their email program supports it will show the vCard. Mail supports that feature that is why yo see the picture. FaxSTF also supports the new Address book.

//Rob

fg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 30, 2002, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by wataru:

iChat uses those pictures, but they're overridden by default if the user chooses something else as a buddy icon.

I did a test email to myself, and it seems that adding a picture to your card does make one appear in your emails. I don't know if other people actually see that picture, though. And I don't know if you can disable that, either. It really seems like you can't...
Hmm, I cant seem to be able to see the picture used in addressbook in my mails. Could you take a screenshot of that and show us. Tried sending an email to myself but there was no pict in the mail message.

/F

neps
Forum Regular
Aug 30, 2002, 11:59 AM

at one point I had imported a photo and it allowed me to zoom in a photo and select a certain area for the thumbnail. Now when I import, it imports the whole thing as a thumbnail. did I switch something off? The zoom feature I only first noticed in 10.2

karbon
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2002, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by neps:
at one point I had imported a photo and it allowed me to zoom in a photo and select a certain area for the thumbnail. Now when I import, it imports the whole thing as a thumbnail. did I switch something off? The zoom feature I only first noticed in 10.2
In iChat you have this nice feature, in Address Book you don't...
[email protected]
"In the long run we're all dead" - Keynes

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2002, 12:24 PM

How does one get rid of a photo for a contact? Every time I click on it, it pops up with the open dialog to look for another pic. I ended up making a new car and deleting the one with the pic in it. Any suggestions?

JKT
Professional Poster
Aug 30, 2002, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::
How does one get rid of a photo for a contact? Every time I click on it, it pops up with the open dialog to look for another pic. I ended up making a new car and deleting the one with the pic in it. Any suggestions?
Click the person in Address Book to highlight them, then under the card menu, the last item should be "Clear Custom image..."

korn
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 30, 2002, 01:58 PM

The Sony Ericsson P800 phone shows the picture of the person who is calling on it's screen. Nice.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 30, 2002, 02:04 PM

Originally posted by JKT:

Click the person in Address Book to highlight them, then under the card menu, the last item should be "Clear Custom image..."

Oh man, I feel silly. Can't believe I missed that one. Thanks for the info, and the screenshot.

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 30, 2002, 03:34 PM

Mail and Address Book will also get people's .Mac photo signatures automatically. Right now, the only way to set one for yourself is to use the Preferences section of http://webmail.mac.com.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Forum Links
Forum Rules