Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Great little Jaguar features.

Great little Jaguar features.
mmurray
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 05:46 AM

I keep finding small jaguar features which are really nice. The latest I just noticed was that when I minimize a document to the dock it appears there
with a very small copy of the application icon in the lower right hand corner of the document. No longer do you have a dock full of identical minimized documents. Very nice.

I didn't know that stickies could be transparent until I read about it here so I thought maybe we should have a thread covering all the small features.

Add yours here :-)

Michael

ctpeterson
Aug 31, 2002, 11:09 AM

I like the new feature that allows you to connect to dial up with air port without having to open up Internet Connect. And also that it gives you the time the base station has been conencted.
Mac=Life
iMac 266 320MB OS 10.3
MacBook Core 2 Duo 10.4
http://petersoninidaho.blogspot.com

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2002, 11:23 AM

hmmm, features i like, i guess it would have to be the Open with in the contextual menu in the finder

control click on a file and it gives you the option to open up different documents in non default programs...
like opening up a PDF made with Preview in Acrobat!

Alex Duffield
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 11:36 AM

I often connect to my home system when at the office using my iBook. Under 10.1.x, if I forgot to disconect, when I got home, the finder would just hang for about 3-4 minuites befor realizing that the server is no longer where it expects it to be...(I dont shut my ibook down, just close the lid, and put it to sleep)

But now, I was blown away to find that not only did the finder not hang forever when I got home, but it actualy managed to automaticly reconnect over airport, and reastablish the connection...

I did not need to reconect. the network drive was still mounted and fully functionable!!!

This is truely amazing, as my home system has a different IP over airport than it does over the internet when Im at the office...

not quite sure how it did it, but damn is that cool!!!
Alex Duffield
http://www.incontrolsolutions.com
Fatal error: Call to undefined function: signature() in /usr/local/www/htdocs/showthread.php on line 813

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Aug 31, 2002, 12:00 PM

I was IRCing in Terminal the other day, and someone pasted an FTP download link for some source code. I command-double clicked the link (in Terminal, mind you) and it *instantly* popped up as an FTP volume on my desktop.

That is freaking slick.

Authenticated FTP still hangs my Finder, but they seem to have anonymous FTP working pretty damn well.

I'm still gaga over this one.
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

snerdini
Senior User
Aug 31, 2002, 12:06 PM

I like the fact that now I can put my SMB volumes in my favorites. When I select one of them in an open dialog, they automatically mount on the desktop and take me there in the dialog. Again, very slick.

foobars
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2002, 12:10 PM

1) Open up a Finder window in column mode
2) Go a few levels deep so there is a horizontal scroll bar
3) Press shift and use the mouse scroll wheel

I'm using this one all the time now

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2002, 12:16 PM

This one is from AppleInsider's Brad (starfleetx)

hold down option while choosing one of the volume keys on a keyboard, and the system preferences open up for sound

do it with brightness, displays open up..

seems like Apple's engineers were bored so they added all these weird key combos

there are so many undocumented ones as well

OH, and in repsonse to why all these nifty things are happening with network connections;;;;; drugs, it is all drugs that doing it, but good drugs, like cocaine....and alka seltzer

King Kong
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2002, 01:22 PM

Does anyone have a semi complete list of system-wide keyboard commands:

for example:

command-tab - switch between open apps in the dock
option-volume - bring up sound control panel

and so on...

AJ
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2002, 01:29 PM

Not sure of other people's mileage on this one. On my Cube and 15" Studio Display, F14 and F15 changes the brightness of the screen. Option-F14/F15 opens displays.

Was there in 10.1, but i thought i'd repost it here.

Hung applications now show in red in Force Quit.

Nonsuch
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2002, 01:50 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
This one is from AppleInsider's Brad (starfleetx)

hold down option while choosing one of the volume keys on a keyboard, and the system preferences open up for sound

do it with brightness, displays open up..

Not that that isn't cool, but that works in 10.1.5 as well as Jaguar, in case anyone's interested.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them.

-- Frederick Douglass, 1857

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2002, 02:02 PM

I like the scaling windows when you open/close a folder/dick on the desktop.

JLL
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2002, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:
Hey, keep it in the pants buddy
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

mattmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2002, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by ctpeterson:
I like the new feature that allows you to connect to dial up with air port without having to open up Internet Connect. And also that it gives you the time the base station has been conencted.
I love that too as it makes it easier to cancel the dialling, as OSX (10.1 thru 10.2) always wants to dial up even if no apps require it! I posted this already on the networking forum - here - but have had no luck.

Anyone here got any ideas? Does it do the same for you, ctpeterson?

Any help greatly appreciated as it the only slight niggle I have with Jaguar since putting it on my 466SE and iMac DV, as it's absolutely superb otherwise - I particularly like the new 'Flurry' screensaver, sorry, screen 'effect'!

funkboy
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2002, 02:54 PM

Originally posted by gorgonzola:
I was IRCing in Terminal the other day, and someone pasted an FTP download link for some source code. I command-double clicked the link (in Terminal, mind you) and it *instantly* popped up as an FTP volume on my desktop.

That is freaking slick.
Indeed. I got a link to a file located on an FTP server from inside iChat (which is really slick in and of itself, especially with its hooks to Address Book), and *bam*, a Finder download window (!) popped up, copying from the FTP server to my desktop.

Tr�s cool.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2002, 03:13 PM

This OS has so many subtle little things, it's really beginning to become the true successor to the classic Mac OS.

Here are a couple of my favorites:

1. The long-awaited HFS promises API is there for Cocoa. This means that the next version of Pacifist will be able to extract files via drag and drop (I already have it working in a pre-release build).

2. There's a new type of window that you can use, which is not only transparent, but also click-through, meaning that if you click on it, your click will go through it and click on whatever was underneath. You can see it in action when you hit the Volume keys and the little volume indicator comes up - in 10.1.5, that indicator would capture mouse events, and you would not be able to click on things under it, but in Jaguar, you can keep tapping the volume keys to make the volume window stay up, but continue to mouse around as if it were not there. Pretty slick IMHO.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

SteveTech
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2002, 03:14 PM

Now that was funny.

I like the new screen capture option

command + shift + 4 then press the space bar after you see the cross hairs. You should see the cross hairs become a camera. This allows you to select an individual window in the finder or in apps. You can even get a pic of the menu bar.

-Steve
( Last edited by SteveTech; Sep 2, 2002 at 07:40 PM. )

billybob
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2002, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by foobars:
1) Open up a Finder window in column mode
2) Go a few levels deep so there is a horizontal scroll bar
3) Press shift and use the mouse scroll wheel

I'm using this one all the time now
Whoa, cool!
everything you know is wrong (and stupid)

khufuu
Aug 31, 2002, 03:39 PM

Originally posted by King Kong:
Does anyone have a semi complete list of system-wide keyboard commands:

for example:

command-tab - switch between open apps in the dock
option-volume - bring up sound control panel

and so on...
Do a search of the forums starting at Wednesday this week until today. I know that someone put a link to a slew of them but I can't remember where I saw it.

Happy Hunting.

malique
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2002, 05:23 PM

Originally posted by billybob:

Whoa, cool!
erm, peepz try it in IE and other programs, too. works.

(when will I be a grown up macnn memba???)

ɕɕɕ *°* for it is a human number. it's number is onethousandandtwentyfour. *°* ͋ƺ

Dual 1.8 // Dual Display // Dual Ears // Dual Nuts // Dual Everything

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 05:39 PM

Originally posted by SteveTech:
I like the new screen capture option

command + shift + 4 then press the space bar after you see the cross hairs. You should see the cross hairs become a camera. This allows you to select an individual window in the finder or in apps. You can even get a pic of the menu bar.
woohoo! it's back!

if you hadn't posted that, i'd never have found out on my own... thanks!

raviruddarraju
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2002, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by seb2:

woohoo! it's back!

This feature even existed in 10.1.5. I didn't even think of checking it out. Man, this thread should have existed long time back.

- Ravi
- Ravi

bewebste
Senior User
Aug 31, 2002, 06:44 PM

Here's a few things I noticed:

You can use command-tab to switch back and forth between two applications. Previously, it would simply cycle to the next one in the dock, so you'd have to do multiple command-tabs each time if you were switching back and forth between two applications. Very handy in some situations.

System Preferences will let you sort the pref panes either by category or alphabetically. I much prefer alphabetically - I can never find anything when it's sorted by category.

Apple System Profiler now lets you view crash logs, organized by application and date.

You can drag text out of the Terminal. Woohoo.

There is now a "Save as PDF..." button in the print dialog, a lot more convenient and user-friendly than hitting Preview and having to save a copy somewhere outside the /tmp directory.

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Alex Duffield:
I often connect to my home system when at the office using my iBook. Under 10.1.x, if I forgot to disconect, when I got home, the finder would just hang for about 3-4 minuites befor realizing that the server is no longer where it expects it to be...(I dont shut my ibook down, just close the lid, and put it to sleep)

But now, I was blown away to find that not only did the finder not hang forever when I got home, but it actualy managed to automaticly reconnect over airport, and reastablish the connection...

I did not need to reconect. the network drive was still mounted and fully functionable!!!

This is truely amazing, as my home system has a different IP over airport than it does over the internet when Im at the office...

not quite sure how it did it, but damn is that cool!!!
Hi Alex

Thats really interesting. Have you tried the reverse ? If my laptop at work
is connected to my desktop machine and I close the lid and bring
it home and open up on my airport network I still get that nasty long
hang.

I'll try mounting my work machine while I am at home and then
go to work and see if that works OK.

Michael

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 07:16 PM

In an application:

Command + Clicking on the little "pill" in the upper right corner will cycle through the different toolbar views (icons, small icons, w/ text, w/o text, etc). I really like the small icons.

Shift + Click = Hide toolbar

Option + Command + Click = customize

BZ

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 31, 2002, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
Here's a few things I noticed:

You can use command-tab to switch back and forth between two applications. Previously, it would simply cycle to the next one in the dock, so you'd have to do multiple command-tabs each time if you were switching back and forth between two applications. Very handy in some situations.

I think this rocks, I use command tab alot now since it just feels right now

-Owl

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2002, 09:18 PM

Clicking on the name of the "search" finder toolbar item (i.e. clicking the word 'search') will open the new Search window.

Stickies can now be both transparent and "floating" - which means they are always foremost - even if you are in another app.

Toolbar items that are folders are spring-loaded.

so many nice little features.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:
I think this rocks, I use command tab alot now since it just feels right now
true, this is very nice now that i got it.

on the other hand, backward-cycling by releasing tab but holding command and hitting shift to cycle backwards is broken...

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 09:37 PM

I like that Disc Copy now has a Dock menu like iTunes.

A seemingly minor but really productive addition is that the standard Cocoa text object now has right-justified and decimal tabs.

I'm torn between column view and icon view again. Now that you can have the item info under icons (or next to them) in icon view, I'm switching some of my folders over. The choice to use an image preview in icon view is nice too. The folders where the files are too big I can leave it off, but in most cases I have it on.

Maybe its just me, but the Keychain app seems much easier to figure out and deal with now. Maybe I just never used it enough (that is, almost never) in 10.1.x.

Pure iCandy but addictive fun anyway -- open a Finder window, make sure that you don't the contents arranged on a grid or by name, etc. Make a mess of the contents (like most of my folders were). Now turn on align to grid in the view options, and start moving stuff around. The icons will glide into place instead of making the quantum jump. along those same lines, I love how opening and closing windows now scale to or from their source folder or disc.

Miniryu
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2002, 09:41 PM

woohoo! it's back!

I hate to break it to you guys, but this feature has been available since at least OS 9 (and I am guessing 8 and even before that).

"Sing it again, rookie beyach."
My website

jrafter
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2002, 09:56 PM

A sound file sent as an email attachment now shows as a player with slider and controls that can be played within the email.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2002, 10:02 PM

This was supposed to be a reply to one of the posts about automatic connections to networks at work and home. (the post I was trying to reply to got lost somewhere...)
I've been connecting this way since the Public Beta. Ethernet at work and Airport at home. All I had to do was disconnect the cable at work and close the lid of my PB. Then when I got home I'd open the lid and voila, connected via AirPort. I've always thought that was a perfect example of what a great OS this was going to be someday. With Jag, it's very, very close.

scott miester
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 31, 2002, 10:21 PM

Like that last post - all the little bells and wistles are great. But these features are all stuff that was available years ago, and there now calling it "new" and charging us again for it (after making us wait 6-12 months). To add to that, they do this just after making us upgrade all of our software to work with OS X. Yes, I just shelled out the money for Jaguar and I'm wondering what I really got that was new - I don't mean to be a downer. Junk mail seems to be the biggest new "icon" and I don't know what was wrong with the delete button before? Some icon designer at Apple had to put in some serious overtime for this project!
Scott "Meister" Allard
http://www.wp2.com/

BuonRotto
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 10:52 PM

While Jag does have the spit and polish we've been waiting for, there is a lot of stuff here that has never been in the Mac OS. From a central database for contacts, to the new graphics technology to the little item info text under icons. This is THE best user experience I've had ever on a computer, including Mac OS 9. It's not a quantum leap in computing, just building on what we've been using for 20 years. But I think Jag is the first OS X release to be more than the sum of its parts, even more so than Classic. Of course, I've only been using it for 3 days...

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Aug 31, 2002, 10:59 PM

Originally posted by Miniryu:

I hate to break it to you guys, but this feature has been available since at least OS 9 (and I am guessing 8 and even before that).
Um, I think that's why he said, "it's back." It wasn't in 10.0.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Algernnon
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2002, 11:18 PM

My favorite feature of Jaguar is that the disk copy icon no longer bounces insanely when mounting disks! Yay!!!

I'm with stupid
---->

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2002, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
This was supposed to be a reply to one of the posts about automatic connections to networks at work and home. (the post I was trying to reply to got lost somewhere...)
I've been connecting this way since the Public Beta. Ethernet at work and Airport at home. All I had to do was disconnect the cable at work and close the lid of my PB. Then when I got home I'd open the lid and voila, connected via AirPort. I've always thought that was a perfect example of what a great OS this was going to be someday. With Jag, it's very, very close.
Hhm. Mine have never done that. I just assumed it wasn't possible.
Are you connected over appletalk or filesharing over TCP/IP. I am
wondering if I should use the later so then its got a chance of finding
the work machine when I get home.

Thanks - Michael

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2002, 11:44 PM

Originally posted by msuper69:
DHCP at its finest! Works for me DHCP on Win2k and the router here at home with tiBook in OSX.
My son comes here, select DHCP in TCP/IP in OS9 or Dad's house in location manager (remember that?)
Don't know about airport.
Damn, summer is over, it is September already.

Mark N
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2002, 11:46 PM

I just noticed that along with control-clicking a file on a desktop for open with, that you can control-option-click for an "Always Open With" option.

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 1, 2002, 12:40 AM

How about this one...

Open a file into a program (eg. a textedit file). Save it, and close. Then move the file to a different folder. Go back to the recent items and select the file you just moved. It opens! The last time I tried that was in the public beta. Is this new to Jag? Either way, I'm as happy as a pig in ****!

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 1, 2002, 12:48 AM

Forgot about this one too...

It's a small touch, that's for sure, but I love how a audio CD will display the album title and not just "Audio CD" anymore. It just makes sense!

DSHwrd
Sep 1, 2002, 01:38 AM

Whoa, this is pretty cool ( to me at least). For all I know it could have been around long before Jaguar, but I just found out about it.

When you click on a menu, press a modifier key and the menu items (only tested this in the finder) will change to correspond with the key being pressed. Try clicking on the File menu and then press 'Option'. Spiffy.

Cheers,
- Daniel
Daniel Howard | Mac OS X (10.2.2) | TiBook867 /\ iSub w/ Soundsticks /\ iPod
www.midnite-liteman.com | ideaSpiral 1.5.3 / DVD Rack 1.0.2

DSHwrd
Sep 1, 2002, 02:55 AM

Found another little goodie... if you're lazy like me, and don't want to take your hand off the mouse to eject the keyboard, there is an Eject menuextra in the /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/ folder. Just double click the 'eject.menu' and it'll launch it. I didn't see a preference for this anywhere, so I'm assuming it's only 'supposed' to be allowed for certain computers... Very useful either way!

Cheers,
Daniel Howard | Mac OS X (10.2.2) | TiBook867 /\ iSub w/ Soundsticks /\ iPod
www.midnite-liteman.com | ideaSpiral 1.5.3 / DVD Rack 1.0.2

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 1, 2002, 03:06 AM

Set a folder to snap to grid. Now drag a file in that folder while holding down the Command key. Presto, it overrides the 'snap to grid' setting.

curmi
Senior User
Sep 1, 2002, 03:45 AM

Copy a large application.

In 10.1.x the dialog said that it was copying "Application.app". As the copy progressed, the copied icon showed as a folder (even though you thought you were copying an application). It also displayed all the contents being copied one by one from the hidden bundle, and had counts that started at 0 (ie "Item 0: blah"). Really messy, showing hidden stuff to the end user, and non-engineers don't count from 0.

In 10.2 it says it is Copying "Application". No .app. It doesn't show contents - treats the bundle as a single entity. Counts start at 1. It displays a generic application icon until the copy is complete. Very nice.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Sep 1, 2002, 04:56 AM

Wow.. I'm seeing a lot of new stuff I never knew about!

Also, that Eject menu doesn't always work on my iMac. Most of the time it's disabled. Oh well.. the key is easier to access.

I found one today I didn't know about. I opened a bunch of apps to TRY and slow the system down. When I went to quit them all, I pressed Command+Tab then Q. I discovered I could just keep tapping Q to quit each app in sequence. I knew about the ability to quit apps like that, but not about how it automatically sellected the next app.

For you newbies, you can also hit H to hide the app while tabbing.

Keep em coming! I love these features! Can't wait to see how many new things we get in 10.3!

DAlex
Sep 1, 2002, 05:08 AM

I like the new style Preview, the way the window has gained a thumbnail preview draw - If you select multiple .pdf files in the finder and open them all in Preview it no longer opens multiple windows, instead it opens one window but puts all of the docs in the thumbnail draw (but they still function as separate docs so if you click on page 1 of the third doc and click print, it will only print that one document, not all of them).

DAlex

mmurray  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2002, 05:38 AM

Not only does printer sharing work but the machine doing the sharing can have everybody logged out. Nice.

Michael

JLL
Professional Poster
Sep 1, 2002, 06:49 AM

on the other hand, backward-cycling by releasing tab but holding command and hitting shift to cycle backwards is broken...
No it isn't broken - it's changed.

It is now Cmd-Shift-Tab
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Burnetti
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 1, 2002, 07:38 AM

Originally posted by Hawkeye_a:

Try it again only this time hold down the SHIFT key.

Also there seems to be a few more options flash up when the ALT key is press for Finder menus.

Forum Links
Forum Rules