Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning?

View Poll Results: Which do you have? (Choose only ONE. Includes stand-alones and game consoles.)
Poll Options:
HD DVD 34 votes (17.09%)
Blu-ray 87 votes (43.72%)
Both 14 votes (7.04%)
Neither 70 votes (35.18%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll
Blu-ray/HD DVD... Who is winning? (Page 103)
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
Yeah, worded poorly, but "sneaky"? Huh?
Yes sneaky when you start off the sentence with "Consumers were arguably better off with HD DVD technology" and then try to make it seem BR has higher disks costs.

Personally I think consumers are better off without Microsoft technology and 50 gigs vs. 30 so the story is taking sides.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
Yeah, that's what they said about 1080.

My favorite, watching "Jurassic Park" on LD:

"Doesn't it look like film?"

Me: the FILM COLLECTOR:

"No, not really"
I love my LDs, and Hi-Vision discs are still better than regular DVD, but it was obnoxiously expensive. Although, the first time I watched the BttF trilogy and Stargate on HV/MUSE my jaw hit the floor, it's hard to put a pricetag on that level of giddy excitement.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 7, 2008, 06:48 PM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 7, 2008, 07:00 PM

Your link doesn't work. Here is one that does:

Link

Oversoul
Senior User
Jan 7, 2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks!

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 7, 2008, 08:52 PM

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 7, 2008, 08:56 PM

Damn. Is that the first time a movie company allowed ripping of your own disc?

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Depending on the quality, the file format, and the titles I'll consider this. Still a little lacking in details as it stands.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
YouTube - CES 2008: Toshiba's response to Warner ditching HD-DVD

"consumers expect their player to perform the way it was advertised".

Audio delays aside on both sides what isn't performing the way it is advertised on the BR side?
I also expected my HD-A2 to be able to fast forward smoothly at 1.5x speed or 2x speed without sound instead of stop motion jerking. My previous DVD players were able to pull it off and my PS3 can fast forward at 1.5x with sound no problem.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 7, 2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by goMac View Post
I'm not talking just about David Vaughn. Multiple sites have been running stories on how Warner was trying to get Fox to go HD-DVD because Warner wanted to end the format war.
Those multiple sites were all quoting the same "source". Warner's execs have flat out denied receiving money and even said they would like to know where they could pick up the alleged 500 million.

Warner had already given hints about this switch at the last electronics convention blu-ray press conference in Europe earlier last year when they announced that the blu-ray versions of their films on average consistently outsold the HD DVD counterparts by a 2:1 margin and they announced the numbers for 300 broken down by platform. At that time, Warner appeared at the Blu-ray conference but snubbed the HD DVD promo groups press event.

How soon we forget that the signs were there for a few months in the latter part of the year.
--
Aristotle

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2008, 10:14 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
To be fair, it's all speculation... But I think dual format players will be around for HD-DVD content for a while, if it doesn't become a permanent fixture of hi def players.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 7, 2008, 11:17 PM

Managed copy in this case sounds great:

Blu-Ray: Sony Blu-ray-to-PSP Movie Transfer Gets Official

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2008, 11:49 PM

Managed copy in this case sounds great:

Blu-Ray: Sony Blu-ray-to-PSP Movie Transfer Gets Official
And like I said the first time this exact same link was posted in this thread, when details about the file format, quality, and titles this is for become available, I'll consider it.

The nice thing about managed copy is it worked for all discs, and transfered the full picture quality (because unlike this, managed copy rips directly from the disk). For it to be worth it, they'd have to include a better quality version than I can get online right now, which is 720p with 5.1 audio.

When I talked about managed copy on HD-DVD I was crazy, but now that Bluray is talking about the same thing, it's the best thing since sliced bread? I see. No double standard here at all.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 12:05 AM

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 12:36 AM

Original article:

Financial Times

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2008, 12:38 AM

Anybody care to quote the FT article so that we all don't have to register to read it?
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 12:50 AM

Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD DVD after Warner Brothers’ recent backing of Sony’s Blu-ray technology, in a move that will sound the death knell of HD DVD and bring the home entertainment format war to a definitive end.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation, which makes the Shrek films, came out in support of HD DVD last summer, joining General Electric’s Universal Studios as the main backers of the Toshiba format.

However, Paramount, which is owned by Viacom, is understood to have a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp that would allow it to switch sides in the event of Warner Bros backing Blu-ray, according to people familiar with the situation.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Anybody care to quote the FT article so that we all don't have to register to read it?
Seems like you could read it witout registering:

Originally Posted by FT.com
Paramount in HD DVD blow
By Matthew Garrahan and Mariko Sanchanta in Las Vegas
Published: January 8 2008 02:49 | Last updated: January 8 2008 02:49

Paramount is poised to drop its support of HD DVD after Warner Brothers’ recent backing of Sony’s Blu-ray technology, in a move that will sound the death knell of HD DVD and bring the home entertainment format war to a definitive end.

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation, which makes the Shrek films, came out in support of HD DVD last summer, joining General Electric’s Universal Studios as the main backers of the Toshiba format.

However, Paramount, which is owned by Viacom, is understood to have a clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp that would allow it to switch sides in the event of Warner Bros backing Blu-ray, according to people familiar with the situation.

Paramount is set to have a bumper 2008 with several likely blockbusters, including the latest instalment in the Indiana Jones franchise.

Paramount joining the Blu-ray camp would leave HD DVD likely to suffer the same fate as Sony’s now obsolete Betamax video technology, which lost out to VHS in a similar format war in the 1980s.

Warners decision last week to throw its weight behind Blu-ray saw it join Walt Disney, 20th Century Fox and Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer as backers of the Sony format.

The Warners move gives Blu-ray about 70 per cent of Hollywood’s output, although the format’s grip on film content will increase further when Paramount comes aboard.

It is unclear whether DreamWorks Animation has the same get-out clause in its contract with the HD DVD camp.

However, Paramount and DreamWorks have a close relationship, with Paramount distributing DreamWorks Animation films. The two companies also signed their HD DVD contracts at the same time. Meanwhile, Universal has declined to comment on its next-generation DVD plans since the Warners move.

Sir Howard Stringer, chief executive of Sony, on Monday held out an olive branch, saying the company would be “open to dialogue” with the HD DVD camp to “grow the market”. The move came as new figures showed that Blu-ray had opened up a decisive lead over the rival home entertainment format.

Sir Howard said: “We are not going to push people around. We’ll talk to anyone ... we have a lot of work to do to grow the market. We’ll be systematic and open to dialogue at all times.”

He added that Sony still had “a lot of work” to do to get Blu-ray “widely accepted” among American consumers.

“With Warner’s support you saw billboards going up in different places and you saw television commercials getting more and more sophisticated and that’s what we’ll continue doing,” said Sir Howard.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 8, 2008, 02:44 AM

It's official, HD-DVD is dead. The Financial Times is a reputable financial publication. Also, Michael Bay's recent bold comments in favor of Blu-ray seem to point towards this change given that he seems unafraid despite still being under contract with Paramount for Transformers 2.
--
Aristotle

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:32 AM

Well although I agree HD is dead I am not sure about that Paramount story yet.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 04:15 AM

"daddy daddy!" "yes kiddo?" "i got my first bj today!" "how was it son?" "it tasted awful daddy!"

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 04:22 AM

Finally... this sillyness is over. I can start making plans to aqcuiring my favorite movies in HD already.

If only it wasn't spelled "Blu-Ray".

It's as dumb as Irn Bru and the like.

V
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 04:24 AM

make up your mind

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2008, 04:33 AM

brassplayersrock² -- Enough with the stupid jokes. Consider this your warning.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 04:44 AM

just seeing what it would take no harm meant

mrtew
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by voodoo View Post
If only it wasn't spelled "Blu-Ray".
Actually it's spelled Blu-ray. You can't capitalized the ray part or it looks like a dudes name. Actually it's Blu-ray Disc. I think they should change the name to BRD. Sounds more hi-tech and more like like DVD.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 09:26 AM

Personally, I like the name "Blu-ray", at least from a marketing standpoint. It's new, catchy, and it's easily recognizable.

The name "HD DVD" works, but it's a little utilitarian, and people get confused with upscalers. Also, early on it wreaked havoc with some search engines since you'd get tons of hits about DVDs when you searched "HD DVD".

What I hate is when people say "Blu-ray DVD" though, cuz it's wrong and potentially confusing.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 09:27 AM

Yes, it's been discussed before. I whole-heartedly agree.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 10:10 AM

New Mac Pro announced.

No Blu-ray (or HD DVD or dual-format) option. Apple, it's 2008...

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Yes, it's been discussed before. I whole-heartedly agree.
You agree with whom?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 10:28 AM

You. The content of your post.

I like the name "Blu-ray", at least from a marketing standpoint. It's new, catchy, and it's easily recognizable.

The name "HD DVD" works, but it's a little utilitarian

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 11:57 AM

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 12:21 PM

I wonder why did they announce this now and not at Macworld, as it is next week?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 12:23 PM

Times: Up to 20 firms backing HD-DVD consider defection

As many as 20 companies currently part of the HD-DVD Promotion Group could be preparing to remove their names from the alliance’s 130-strong membership list, The Times has learned.

Pony Canyon, a major Japanese music, animation and film studio and part of the giant Fuji Television media empire, said that although it was currently part of the HD-DVD Promotion Group, the decisions of US studios meant it would “choose Blu-Ray in the end”.

Several other Japanese firms – including content producers and electronics component makers – said that their support of HD DVD was “under review” and that they knew of many others in the same position. Others, who admitted that they had previously been waiting for “clear market momentum”, said that it had now probably arrived.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 12:27 PM

This is amazing how fast the tide is turning. A month ago we were bemoaning the strong sales of HD-DVD standalones for theoretically dragging out the war long into 08, and now one studio has turned everything on its ear.

BTW, its gotta be a little disheartening for all those people who just bought those players to see this happening.

badidea
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by mrtew View Post
I think they should change the name to BRD. Sounds more hi-tech and more like like DVD.
Sounds more like Bundesrepublik Deutschland to me.
FRG for ze Americans

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
This is amazing how fast the tide is turning. A month ago we were bemoaning the strong sales of HD-DVD standalones for theoretically dragging out the war long into 08, and now one studio has turned everything on its ear.
Yeah, and in fact that's one reason I was expecting an announcement at a different time. ie. Before Xmas (unlikely, based on what they had said before), or else in the spring or something (when we guessed their contract might be up). January around CES was always a possibility, but I thought it was less likely.

BTW, its gotta be a little disheartening for all those people who just bought those players to see this happening.
Well, it depends on the understanding by those who bought into it, and the price. I'd be pissed if I bought an XA2 for CAD$800 in December, but I got my A2 for $200 in October with 9 free movies (including transformers), and got an upscaling player like I wanted anyway.

However... I'm sending back my Star Trek box set today because one of the discs has a problem. I have the option of getting a replacement or just getting a refund. I'm probably gonna get a replacement (assuming there aren't extra costs), but I have to admit that I was tempted to just get the refund when the rumours of Paramount switching soon came out.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 01:23 PM

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 02:01 PM

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 02:36 PM

Rumour: Fox to include iTunes files with DVDs starting 15th Jan - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

Looks nice, again, I'll be keeping my eye on the quality.

(Note: the link has photo evidence from a DVD someone got from Fox early)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 02:40 PM

Rumour: Fox to include iTunes files with DVDs starting 15th Jan - The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW)

Looks nice, again, I'll be keeping my eye on the quality.

(Note: the link has photo evidence from a DVD someone got from Fox early)
DVD?

That would be very disappointing if they have it on DVD and not on a hi-def disc. Better than nothing I suppose though.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 02:41 PM

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 8, 2008, 02:42 PM

Ha, I was just thinking I might buy that DVD.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 02:49 PM

The back of the box says it is a 1.5 Mbps file. Anyone care to take a stab on what kind of resolution we're looking at?

Edit: Looked it up, looks like it will most likely be just at or under 480p.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 8, 2008, 02:54 PM

The back of the box says it is a 1.5 Mbps file. Anyone care to take a stab on what kind of resolution we're looking at?

It's for your iPod. What do you expect? More resolution than the original DVD?

I think this is a great idea, but kind of late to the party.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
It's for your iPod. What do you expect? More resolution than the original DVD?

I think this is a great idea, but kind of late to the party.
Apple is known to make this device called the AppleTV which runs at a pretty decent resolution.

With that compression though, we're talking sub-dvd quality.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 03:00 PM

The iPod supports H.264 at 1.5 Mbps (albeit at an uber low quality profile), at 640x480 x 30 fps.

Quality is of course fine on the iPod's screen, but it's also OK on a small CRT (even when played from the iPod). It's kinda crappy on a larger LCD though.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jan 8, 2008, 03:16 PM

Apple is known to make this device called the AppleTV which runs at a pretty decent resolution.

With that compression though, we're talking sub-dvd quality.
You want to explain why I would watch it through my Apple TV when I bought the frickin' DVD already?

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 8, 2008, 03:19 PM

AppleInsider | Paramount to abandon HD DVD in return to Blu-ray (updated)

Apparently now been denied, but if it ends up that this is true, it looks like only Universal left as a main HD-DVD studio.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Jan 8, 2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by starman View Post
You want to explain why I would watch it through my Apple TV when I bought the frickin' DVD already?
Really? You want me to go through this again?

Because then I can have it sitting in a menu on my AppleTV where I can pull it up any time I want without having to mess with an optical disk. That's the simplest explanation, but if you really want I can give you more reasons.

Forum Links
Forum Rules