Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > COD: Black Ops thread

COD: Black Ops thread (Page 11)
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Well, that's just retarded.
Not really. If I'm going to waste 8 kills on a passive killstreak which is just an over-glorified UAV, it damn well better see everyone.

Ghost Pro doesn't hide you from dogs either, I think.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2010, 04:42 PM

So I'm about to make my most arrogant CoD post, ever.

I'm bored with this game.

I just spent a week going from a 2.07 k/d to 2.25, which was both my goal and well beyond my wildest dreams (Thank you Galil). I don't think I've mastered the game, but I feel like I've gone as far as I'm gonna go. Am I really gonna try to grind it out to 2.5? Can I really get my win-loss any higher?

The challenges are pointless, and most of the weapons and perks aren't worth experimenting with. I hate half the maps. I swear if my current prestige emblem wasn't ugly as hell, I'd just stop at 2.

I mean, I'm still gonna play. But when things started feeling old and falling apart for every one around May with MW2? That's how I feel now. A whole month later.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 04:58 PM

Nah, it's not arrogance, because I don't think it has anything to do with your skill level. The entire game doesn't feel as gripping as MW2 was. I've been playing NFS, Uncharted, Fallout 3, NBA 2K11, and even Modnation Racers. I'm enjoying myself with BO, but it's not all-encompassing like MW2 was out of the gate.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2010, 05:26 PM

It's arrogance in that I'm bragging about my numerical achievements. But point taken about the software polygamy. (And we need to create a meet-up for NFS)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2010, 05:28 PM

I stopped Target earlier today and they had Black Ops on sale for $45. I almost bought it... almost. I figured you guys will be jumping ship soon so I didn't get it. I'll hold out until the next FPS game is released. Bulletstorm maybe? Until then I'll stick with Reach and Hot Pursuit.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 13, 2010, 05:32 PM

Bulletstorm is definitely on my radar.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's arrogance in that I'm bragging about my numerical achievements.
Well, we're used to that.

(And we need to create a meet-up for NFS)
I'm down. I'll be playing tonight, actually...probably.

That's the way all of my gaming commitments go. One of the few downsides to marriage.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I stopped Target earlier today and they had Black Ops on sale for $45. I almost bought it... almost. I figured you guys will be jumping ship soon so I didn't get it. I'll hold out until the next FPS game is released. Bulletstorm maybe? Until then I'll stick with Reach and Hot Pursuit.
You still should've bought it. I'm sure it'll be played for at least two more months.

Bullestorm definitely has my attention. The videos I've seen remind me a little bit of Killzone 2 (beautiful). [EDIT] ...and the obvious Duke Nukem comparisons.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 06:43 PM

Eh, in reality (for me at least) there is very little overall difference in BO compared to MW2. I agree MW2 is the superior game but I am having plenty of fun playing BO, and seeing as my K/D is far higher than I ever got in MW2 I can safely say I am playing better as well.

I'm going to keep flogging this game far into the new year, nothing else interests me apart from Portal 2.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 13, 2010, 07:33 PM

I hadvent seen you boot up new Vegas, I know I'll be back in the waste on my second (hardcore) playthrough with the DLC next week

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 07:51 PM

Vegas DLC? Huh?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 13, 2010, 07:59 PM

Already? That game just came out.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2010, 09:31 AM

So I'm about to make my most arrogant CoD post, ever.

I'm bored with this game.
Not surprising, I think that it feels like an add-on to MW2 instead of another game. New maps, different perks and weapons, but its still the same. You did (IIRC) 30 days in MW2, which is probably in the 10th percentile for time spent in the game.

What might boost your interest is trying the pro perks. You have to play some CTF and one type where you can plant and diffuse bombs. Your k/d might take a bit of a beating in CTF but its quite fun.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Not surprising, I think that it feels like an add-on to MW2 instead of another game. New maps, different perks and weapons, but its still the same. You did (IIRC) 30 days in MW2, which is probably in the 10th percentile for time spent in the game.
Which of course opens the door to general Call of Duty fatigue. But I still blame this new versions basic mechanics.

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
What might boost your interest is trying the pro perks. You have to play some CTF and one type where you can plant and diffuse bombs. Your k/d might take a bit of a beating in CTF but its quite fun.
I have all the Pro Perks I need, outside of Marathon. I don't plan on jumping through any of their ridiculous hoops until I'm done Prestiging.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 14, 2010, 11:17 AM

So we finally got some good ol' genuine hate after a game last night. All it took was eking out a win over some statistically successful rushers. (I think it was a group of 4 who all were running Marathon Pro). The one guy I checked out had an over 3.0 w/l with an over 2.5 k/d. He was the one who felt compelled to tell Subie he was a dumb n-word on their way out. (Subie carried most of our asses). I have to say, that it took a month to accrue a game with this much acrimony is almost a tragedy.

Also, judging from the crying on the Treyarch forums, the patch dropped this morning.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Dec 14, 2010 at 11:37 AM. )

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 14, 2010, 11:34 AM

So we finally got some good ol' genuine hate after a game last night. All it took was eking out a win over some statistically successful rushers. (I think it was a group of 4 who all were running Marathon Pro). The one guy I checked out had an over 3.0 w/l with an over 2.5 k/d. He was the one who felt compelled to tell Subie he was a dumb n-word on their way out. (Subie carried most of our asses). I have to say, that it took a month to accrue a game with this month acrimony is almost a tragedy.
Global mute FTW.

Also, judging from the crying on the Treyarch forums, the patch dropped this morning.
That means that I'll have to have a blast before packing away the Xbox for my move. Oh well.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 14, 2010, 02:56 PM

Patch notes? Hopefully +10 fun.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 11:00 AM

Flood o' Stuff

YouTube - DakarZero - Triple Knife Fail (w/ bonus opponent knife fail)

YouTube - DakarZero - Laying Down the Law

YouTube - DakarZero - Law Fail

You guys know me well enough to spot me in this pic, right?

In case you didn't:

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 11:37 AM

It looks like the patch was far less well received on the PS3 side. The angst is so overwhelming they've actually invaded the 360 forum spamming and asking if MS paid Treyarch off.

Best term heard so far: "Betrayarch"

---

fatty, how's the new sniping? Are you now deadlier than ever?

Also, I wouldn't rule out you prestiging before me quite yet. Imagine if you weren't pretending to pay New Vegas merely to impress Bogues.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2010, 12:56 PM

BAHHHH HA HA...

I hate/love this game.

It looks like the patch was far less well received on the PS3 side. The angst is so overwhelming they've actually invaded the 360 forum spamming and asking if MS paid Treyarch off.

Best term heard so far: "Betrayarch"
I'm confused. Why is it any worse on the PS3 side of things? Are they just whinier?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 01:09 PM

What little I've read implies mostly network issues.

Edit: I didn't realize he fails three times with the knife as well.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2010, 03:55 PM

You know, in all the complaining about PSN being inferior to XBL, I actually had different problems with lag playing MW2 on PS3, not more. When it was bad, it was really bad, but I didn't experience it as often.

Separate note: I picked up Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - Ultimate Edition off of Amazon in preparation for the Vietnam DLC. It's going to be the first Battlefield title I've played since the first.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 04:00 PM

You big on Vietnam or something?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2010, 04:13 PM

I'm fairly certain the time it takes to quick-scope has been reduced. I had a much easier time sniping yesterday.
( Last edited by sek929; Dec 15, 2010 at 04:35 PM. )

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 04:14 PM

Yes, that's what they said they were doing.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 15, 2010, 04:42 PM

The network issues were so bad I stopped playing last night. Never could finish a match. Always a disconnect. Each patch gets worse. The best connection was when I first bought the game. Each release seemed to get less stable, with this one pretty much unplayable. After the third disconnect I couldn't even log on their network to get to a lobby.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
The network issues were so bad I stopped playing last night. Never could finish a match. Always a disconnect. Each patch gets worse. The best connection was when I first bought the game. Each release seemed to get less stable, with this one pretty much unplayable. After the third disconnect I couldn't even log on their network to get to a lobby.
I wonder how that's possible. Whatever it is they are doing, they should do the exact opposite (I know that doesn't make sense in reality).

The 360 forums were complaining that the guy on twitter shoved the lag blame on NAT.

Maybe Betrayarch is trying to spur 360 sales.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2010, 05:38 PM

You...just used an emoticon...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 05:40 PM

It's an xmas miracle.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 15, 2010, 06:09 PM

Activision really needs to shell out for better servers on their website too. It is constantly flooded.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 15, 2010, 08:02 PM

It's an xmas miracle.
Every time Dakar uses an emoticon and angel gets his wings.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 11:28 AM

Bogues, I have no idea what your criteria for a great campaign are, but i can tell you they must be very different from mine. The single player is the worst thing I have played in a long time.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2010, 11:47 AM

Bogues, I have no idea what your criteria for a great campaign are, but i can tell you they must be very different from mine. The single player is the worst thing I have played in a long time.
How so? I would say that it is good for what it is, which is basically almost a rail shooter.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 11:50 AM

Would you consider past CoDs rail shooters?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2010, 12:13 PM

The only other game in the franchise I have played is MW2, which did not seem very different to me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 12:16 PM

I'm no expert on the subject but I thought rail shooters were where you have zero control over your character and the game controls your screen?

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 16, 2010, 12:23 PM

This kind of goes back to your earlier thread about the evolution of shooters. It's not really a rail shooter (in the sense of something like Rebel Assault), but it evokes the term for me in the way that it holds your hand from set piece to set piece.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Dec 16, 2010, 12:32 PM

Well compared to other games ie Bioshock and AC, all COD campaigns are terrible but I believe black ops was one of the best in the series, in the very least the environments were varied and the plot line was almost bearable (compared to MW). Many of the missions were much different than some usual COD affair

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 12:32 PM

I get what you're saying. I feel like the level of immersion on this one is almost absent; MW & MW2 had their share of awful sections but this campaign feels entirely disjointed and my participation of only small import towards achieving the overall goals.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
Well compared to other games ie Bioshock and AC, all COD campaigns are terrible but I believe black ops was one of the best in the series, in the very least the environments were varied and the plot line was almost bearable (compared to MW). Many of the missions were much different than some usual COD affair
I think MW had two of the best campaign missions I've ever played in a FPS (The AC-130 mission and the Sniper mission). Both were innovative, challenging and fun. I don't think I've found any level yet in BO I would consider fun. At this point I'm finishing the campaign out of morbid curiosity.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 01:07 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 01:20 PM

They should've been careful enough to not screw it up in the first place.

Concerning the campaign, I'm only about 20% through right now (I think), and it just seems like more of the same. Almost all FPS games are feeling that way to me right now though. The most recent single-player games that really gripped me were UC2 and Limbo. The last FPS? MW.

I still haven't finished the last level of MW2.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 01:26 PM

I just don't remember the MWs being nearly as choppy and segmented within each particular part. Yes, there were constantly shifting objectives, but I didn't have to sit through so many intra-level cut scenes. Hell, I don't remember many moments in MW where they'd have you take control and navigate a level for a minute or two just to push one button in the end. It's ridiculously shallow and feels like I massive waste of my time.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2010, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
They should've been careful enough to not screw it up in the first place.

Concerning the campaign, I'm only about 20% through right now (I think), and it just seems like more of the same. Almost all FPS games are feeling that way to me right now though. The most recent single-player games that really gripped me were UC2 and Limbo. The last FPS? MW.

I still haven't finished the last level of MW2.
I'll have to test out that 'hotfix', QC took holiday vacation early, I guess.

You should give Enslaved a shot. Great single player there. Amazon had a sale and had it for $25. I had no major issues with the Black Ops single player. Wasn't great wasn't bad, IMO. I did like the prison break level though.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Dec 16, 2010, 01:41 PM

I'm actually fighting the urge to buy BO for PS3 as well. My buddies on that side of the fence are all bragging about their exploits, and rubbing it in.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 01:50 PM

When they can connect to a game, that is.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2010, 03:30 PM

People still play this?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 03:35 PM

You're still alive?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2010, 04:23 PM

Alive, and now with a life...

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Dec 16, 2010, 04:27 PM

Can't be true, you're still posting here.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Dec 16, 2010, 05:24 PM

Damn, foiled again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules